Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Living "unmarried" SO Baptism then Marriage or....

So....
I've been convicted to get married (take oath under God) as we've been together 8+ years and we just assumed marriage.

Now that we've finally reached a state of repentance, we also have come to being baptized....

So, as scripturally we are living in sin, shouldn't we get married then get baptized?

If a sin is a sin, then anyone knowingly getting baptized knowing they will go home and sin... shouldn't get baptized right?

THoughts?
Scriptures?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Re: Living "unmarried" SO Baptism then Marriage or

Fornication is the sin. I would not want to postpone baptism. If you have repented then you should be baptized immediately and maintain abstinence until you can be married.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM
On the road less traveled

If the Lord is convicting you to do something you now feel is "sin", it would only make sense to take care of that sin, if at all possible, before baptism. That way after baptism, you would feel you have a new beginning in your life.

This is just my opinion, and entirely between you and the Lord, of course. May God bless you as you continue to follow Him!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclee4jc View Post
Fornication is the sin. I would not want to postpone baptism. If you have repented then you should be baptized immediately and maintain abstinence until you can be married.
Already decided to "maintain abstinence". But then I wonder if I should sleep on the couch? We're talking a few months out....

I need to read up if living with a women unmarried is a sin... or just laying with is...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
If the Lord is convicting you to do something you now feel is "sin", it would only make sense to take care of that sin, if at all possible, before baptism. That way after baptism, you would feel you have a new beginning in your life.

This is just my opinion, and entirely between you and the Lord, of course. May God bless you as you continue to follow Him!
That's what I feel, but as mentioned in the last post, we are talking a few months out (maybe 4) until we can be married..... (it's complicated).
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

In my personal opinion you should get married first and I base this upon 2 issues:

1. Ephesians 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

To continue to live together in the same house is to add undue temptation to sin. Why set yourself up to fall?

2. Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

As a Christian we are to be a light to the world how will it look to any unsaved person that knows you are not married but are claiming to be saved while living together even if you say you are abstaining this puts a shadow upon your witness.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

One thing that has not been mentioned...is that if it is at all possible for you to separate until you can be married...that would be the most advisable thing to do.

I simply would not want to postpone baptism if you have already repented.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Whatever the complications are it would be worth considering to have an quick & easy wedding now which would only require a license, 3 days and a willing minister. You can work out a more ceremonial wedding later on.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Whatever the complications are it would be worth considering to have an quick & easy wedding now which would only require a license, 3 days and a willing minister. You can work out a more ceremonial wedding later on.
Unless one of the parties is waiting for divorce proceedings to finalize. That is one thing that would qualify for things being "complicated".

But if that ISN'T the issue, I have a solution in only one word: Vegas!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Unless one of the parties is waiting for divorce proceedings to finalize. That is one thing that would qualify for things being "complicated".

But if that ISN'T the issue, I have a solution in only one word: Vegas!

True. Good point.