Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-24-2019, 05:11 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Why Sunday

Not trying to jam anything up here, but it sounds like there should be no day off? No sabbath? Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?
Old 12-24-2019, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Are trinitarians genuine monotheists?

My point is that some of your arguments necessarily lead to conclusions. Whether you adhere to your argumentation all the way to their logical end or not doesn't change what those arguments actually consist in.

Example: "We have church every Sunday because of spiritual reasons..." Conclusion? You keep Sunday as a holy day (a day separate and distinct from other days). You disagree with that conclusion, and I understand why. But the conclusion is there nonetheless. Holy means separate and dedicated to divine purposes. There you have it. Sundaykeeping isn't "whatever was required under the 4th commandment is now applied to Sunday" necessarily. It is at its most basic the regular observance of Sunday as a day devoted to religious practices, you do Sundays differently than you do the other days of the week.

Example: We're not under the law, it has been fulfilled, therefore we don't need to do the specific thing the law said to actually do. So pick any command, and this reasoning applies.
Again, the logical conclusions to my view are the positions I am in now. I believe what I currently believe because of those scriptures I shared and my interoretation of them. They led me to where I am and what I'm doing. I'm not at the position that you claim is the logical conclusion. Why? Because they're not the logical conclusion.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 12-24-2019, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Not trying to jam anything up here, but it sounds like there should be no day off? No sabbath? Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?
Rest whatever day works. Not even our secular laws allow no rest.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 12-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Thank you mfblume and Esaias for the debate. I'm learning a lot of stuff. I hope you guys do not end up on each other's nerves, though.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I heard once that the communists tried to change the week to 10 days and rest only once every 10 days. It didn't work out, people got burnt.
Even though, we do not keep the Sabbath as in the law, people do need a break from work every 7 days.
The early church gathered or at least were busy in the things of the Lord even on workdays.

Daily corporate prayer at the temple:
[Act 2:46 NKJV] So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,

Daily evangelism, at least:
[Acts 2:47 NKJV] praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Daily prayer, and teaching:
[Acts 5:42 NKJV] And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus [as] the Christ.

Daily serving at the tables:
[Acts 6:1 NKJV] Now in those days, when [the number of] the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution.

Daily evangelism:
[Acts 16:5 NKJV] So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily.

Daily evangelism:
[Acts 17:17 NKJV] Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the [Gentile] worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.

I'm not saying that every single Christian was involved in daily things or that the prayer was daily for every single person; simply that they did not limit themselves to a specific day, every day was suitable to teach, preach, pray, and serve at the tables.

Last edited by coksiw; 12-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
...financial business and accounting usually takes place on the first day of the week for Sabbath keepers.
Brother, would you please give some references regarding that statement? If that's accurate then it brings a new insight to that verse. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
I heard once that the communists tried to change the week to 10 days and rest only once every 10 days. It didn't work out, people got burnt.
Even though, we do not keep the Sabbath as in the law, people do need a break from work every 7 days.
The early church gathered or at least were busy in the things of the Lord even on workdays.

Daily corporate prayer at the temple:
[Act 2:46 NKJV] So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,

Daily evangelism, at least:
[Acts 2:47 NKJV] praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Daily prayer, and teaching:
[Acts 5:42 NKJV] And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus [as] the Christ.

Daily serving at the tables:
[Acts 6:1 NKJV] Now in those days, when [the number of] the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution.

Daily evangelism:
[Acts 16:5 NKJV] So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily.

Daily evangelism:
[Acts 17:17 NKJV] Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the [Gentile] worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.

I'm not saying that every single Christian was involved in daily things or that the prayer was daily for every single person; simply that they did not limit themselves to a specific day, every day was suitable to teach, preach, pray, and serve at the tables.
That is because the church in Jerusalem was communal and the daily thing was a way of life for the fledgling church. Yet, the Greek to this day calls Saturn's day the sabbath which is Σάββατο, but Sun's day is called the Lord's day in Greek Κυριακή. The same goes for the Spanish, French, Italian. Yet, what we have been given today is from the Latin Rome Saturni, and Solis. Κυριακή and Domenica were handed down through history as meaning the Lord's Day, and Saturni known by Christians (and Judeans) as Σάββατο.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you mfblume and Esaias for the debate. I'm learning a lot of stuff. I hope you guys do not end up on each other's nerves, though.
Esaias is a good man.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Ha! We go at it but brother Blume is one of the good guys. He just needs to come over to my side of the aisle then he shall reach perfection.

Quote:
Brother, would you please give some references regarding that statement? If that's accurate then it brings a new insight to that verse. Thanks.
I meant that as an observation based on my experience and that of others' I have known. I wasn't saying "the Bible says do your accounting on the first day of the week." Sabbath keeping establishes a certain rhythm to life. It affects how a person views and manages time. I have seen it in my life, my family members, and other people's lives as well. They all have acknowledged Sabbath keeping establishes a certain rhythm and flow if you will to everything. It doesn't happen overnight, necessarily, but ingrains itself into the very fabric of daily life.

When the Sabbath ends, the week is over with. The week's business is over with. A new week begins. New business. Stuff carried over from previously has been paused, and now picks back up as if it were basically a new round in the ring. The first day of the week just fits naturally as the day to plan the week out. That would include taking stock of your money situation and what expenditures you will have. Allocating funds to whatever purposes, etc.

Now granted some folks are just plain random and disorganised anyway, especially financially. But that's more of a "them" issue than a Sabbath or not issue.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
If the fourth commandment ("as written") is no longer obligatory, it means God does NOT expect anyone to give their employees a day off at all, ever, as a matter of ethics. A boss can be a slave driver and demand 7 day work weeks ad infinitum, and there is no valid and just ground of complaint against such a man. The Bible would classify such a boss as an unrighteous extortioner, but do away with the moral obligation of the 4th commandment and you do away with any possibility of being rightfully upset about such employment policies.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf