Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Re: The reality of the slippery slope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
No, most we never see again anyway. Plus, when it's accepted by others and the ministry that they got it, would be very hard to undo it.
So, since you don't see most again and since others including the ministry say they already got it and because it would be hard to undo, you're going to let them die in their deception and not even try?

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 01-07-2019, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Ive seen this before in other churches. get some Evangelist in, do outreach like crazy fill the house up with folks wanting those free bicycles and gift cards. Preach Acts 2:38 to them, go around laying hands on everyone pray for everyone shake em and slap em in the mouth till they catch the spirit, and they leave with the free bike and gift cards and never come back. Or some come as long as they are getting the freebees and attention and gone when the well runs dry.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
So, since you don't see most again and since others including the ministry say they already got it and because it would be hard to undo, you're going to let them die in their deception and not even try?

That would lie at the feet of the leadership.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post

That would lie at the feet of the leadership.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
Ive seen this before in other churches. get some Evangelist in, do outreach like crazy fill the house up with folks wanting those free bicycles and gift cards. Preach Acts 2:38 to them, go around laying hands on everyone pray for everyone shake em and slap em in the mouth till they catch the spirit, and they leave with the free bike and gift cards and never come back. Or some come as long as they are getting the freebees and attention and gone when the well runs dry.
Nothing wrong with filling up the house this way... I know a lady that is in church from years ago because they were giving away a 2 liter Pepsi. I also know many people that are still in church today that came to “ help “ someone win in an attendance drive. We have a bus route that we started from giving a way school supplies... I remember people in the church mad and saying “ they are just coming for the free stuff”. Personally I think most people think our church is the same is every other denominational church so I don’t care how someone gets them to our church all I care is that they get their and hear the real truth of God’s word. There was 500 plus people that were at Bethany loving the blessing but only 120 were willing to show up to church and stick it out in acts.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
Whatever truth that caused old time apostolics to practice their separation from the world standards is still out there and true but over time the standards themselves became the focal point instead of the true reason they were practiced in the first place. Over time as that focal point shifted the standards became traditions. Now we are at the point where the tradition is all most know and tradition is shaky foundation. It’s essy to overturn tradition.
I have seen spirit filled people that had little in common with standards, and standard people with the slick 50 down to the shoes that are hateful.
But....
You can find them in any assembly, folk that act the part to be favored of the folk in their chosen organizations. In the 80s all the girls had the "Pentecostal Poof" but it was the preachers kid that told me I could "get lucky" with the one I was dating at the time, either he was jealous and defaming her character- or he was bragging after using her....but neither of these are traits one expects of A/P. The poof did not make any of them saved, neither do the ties and white shirts on the guys.
Somewhere it seems we chose form over substance and beleive that poofs and ties are evidence of salvation rather than fruits of the spirit drawing the lost.
Judging by the last years youth assembly though, some of these kids seem to get it....and I am encouraged by that.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Funny how bitter people always start off with how hateful people are that have “ standards “ in their life and all the evil things they do.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Funny how bitter people always start off with how hateful people are that have “ standards “ in their life and all the evil things they do.
Was that aimed at me...

You dont know me from Adam but you judge. I am not bitter, but I can get some righteous indignation all rolled up in some sushi for ya...

I have seen the most hate filled people that looked straight outta the "we dont smoke and we dont chew, and we dont run with the girls that do" _Desoto ad perfect from the 50s, _[which seems the age of conformity coincides with the "standards",] bunch that complain about anything sung in any minor key because church songs "ought notta have none of them BLACK keys on the piaanny used" with their fake lovey "bless your heart" and "we so glad to see you, come in here and let Jesus clean that beard off your face", tone - hiding behind a smile only the Grinch would be proud of.

AND...

I have seen some folk with a street swager that paid their dues riding in the back of the bus because of the color of their skin, that would hug a brother in christ that was a casual bearded white dude, like they also lost their mother because to them - you beleive- and you are their brother.

Any guess which church is growing.

I know an AME pastor that preaches straight 3 step oneness, with a beard. I know many women of the Lord with shorter hair and pants, that are prophets and have more love for people than I can skake loose out of my whole self.

I have loved folks that loved me - even at my growly worst- that could read what was going on with me because of the gifts of the spirit in them....one of whom was a divorcee..."gasps" /s.

And I watched my wife, now departed for her reward, take the lot in life that Diabetics with kidney failure are dealt and turn it into a soul winning positive right until that last night in the hospital.

All the suits ties, clean shaved, and ugly-dress wearing in the world will not save a single person. But ...."If you love me, keep my commandments "....."And the second is like unto the first, Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Sometimes I think there is a generation that thinks the old ways lead to looking like old people. And would condemn anyone that would propose otherwise. Evidenrly you are one of them...

Good day sir...
Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Because someone related a story they are bitter? Unless you believe this fellow made it up and is a complete list, then I don't see how bitterness figures in here. (Of course it is the internet so all info is considered dubious).

However it is simple fact that that many folks who live by the outward standards and are thus well accepted within the church, do not consistently live out the holiness they project through outward adornrment and conformity.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 01-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
Because someone related a story they are bitter? Unless you believe this fellow made it up and is a complete list, then I don't see how bitterness figures in here. (Of course it is the internet so all info is considered dubious).

However it is simple fact that that many folks who live by the outward standards and are thus well accepted within the church, do not consistently live out the holiness they project through outward adornrment and conformity.
Lol I’m glad your the fact checker. How many studies did you do to find the facts? Yup just what I thought. Liberal are the same in politics as they are in the church. Have bad apples and you all call it the majority and claim it as facts.