Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
civil rights, idiot, kentucky, misunderstood, rand paul

Old 05-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Re: Poor Misunderstood Rand Paul....

So he disagrees with the idea that it should be against the law to not serve everyone equally?

Ok.

Poor Misunderstood Rand Paul....
Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
From www.theatlantic.com -

"Just to be clear what we're talking about, Paul does not oppose the 1964 Civil Rights Act on the whole. He disagrees with the provision that required businesses to serve people equally. He says this is a matter of speech, and that to support such limitations on private business--as opposed to statutory desegregation of public institutions like schools, which Paul supports--one has to accept that what the government has done is tell a private business owner how to run his private business. He opposes that. On the question of whether he would have voted for it, Paul seems to indicate that, supporting 9/10 of its statutes, he probably would have, but he leaves the question open, and says that, had be been in the Senate at the time, there would have been "some discussion" about the provision that desegregated private businesses. When Maddow asked Paul, point-blank, whether lunch counters in the South should have been allowed to keep serving whites only, Paul would not answer the question in a "yes" or "no," as Maddow implored him to. Paul has warned repeatedly that this is an abstract debate that will be oversimplified and used against him by political opponents. So far, the latter is certainly true."

I have a friend who owns an insurance office (and he can chime in here if he wants to), who opposed the idea that he couldn't allow people to smoke in his office. Oklahoma law now states that any indoor facility open to the public (including private businesses) must be smoke free. He said (and I agree), that he should be allowed to decide whether or not customers can smoke in his office.

Even though I support the idea of having cleaner air, I oppose having laws passed that prevent people from smoking (or allowing others to smoke) in a business they own. Laws like this remove personal responsibility which says: If the environment is too toxic for you to work there; find another job, OR If the environment is too toxic for you to buy insurance there; find another agent.
Miss B, I understand what you are saying, but the analogies that I've read here don't hold up to me. The smoking that you refer to and the gun possesion that was referred to earlier are issues that can inherently be life or death. They are also issues that can easily be adjusted. I can easily put down a cigarette or a gun.
I don't see my skin color as an environmental concern or a threat to public safety...and it is not something that I can easily "rectify" to adhere to the rule...unless, of course, I wish to be as extreme as Michael Jackson.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
Miss B, I understand what you are saying, but the analogies that I've read here don't hold up to me. The smoking that you refer to and the gun possesion that was referred to earlier are issues that can inherently be life or death. They are also issues that can easily be adjusted. I can easily put down a cigarette or a gun.
I don't see my skin color as an environmental concern or a threat to public safety...and it is not something that I can easily "rectify" to adhere to the rule...unless, of course, I wish to be as extreme as Michael Jackson.
See my addendum above, and I wasn't comparing habits or practices to skin color. I'm just saying that generally speaking, private businesses should retain more power--not less. Those freedoms to make decisions are gradually being removed, and all in the name of the greater good.

Do you honestly think that a business that openly practiced discrimination would retain many customers? There's no going back--people today don't tolerate that. If someone wants to act like an idiot, all you have to do is make it public, and it will negatively affect their business. It's a natural motivation for fairness.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Solid 3 Stepper

Quote:

Tstew you will only get a right wing spin on this site. Go to MSNBC and listen to Rand Paul unfiltered in his own words. He not only said it there but in several other places. AT least Republican politicians are distancing themselves from him and asking him to drop it. Can't say the same for people called Christian.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Okay, I don't know how I missed the video right under the article. LOL!!! I'm listening to his comments, and I'll be back in a few.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
See my addendum above, and I wasn't comparing habits or practices to skin color. I'm just saying that generally speaking, private businesses should retain more power--not less. Those freedoms to make decisions are gradually being removed, and all in the name of the greater good.

Do you honestly think that a business that openly practiced discrimination would retain many customers? There's no going back--people today don't tolerate that. If someone wants to act like an idiot, all you have to do is make it public, and it will negatively affect their business. It's a natural motivation for fairness.
Honestly, in some places yes, in others absolutely not.

I have admittedly myself not looked into this that much. I am just trying to understand what was actually said. Part of my frustration is that (as I've said here before) I have a whole circle of friends who blindly vote Dem because, well, that's what black people are supposed to do. I often have debates about whether there is quite a bit of racism at the root of some conservative movements. Things like this do not help at all. I will study it out whenever I have time though.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I agree the government has way over stepped their bounds.

I totally disagree with the seatbelt law, although it possibly saved my life. It should be MY choice.

I heard this past weekend on the way to Alabama there was an automobile accident with a number of teenagers. The only one killed was wearing her seatbelt. All the others were not wearing their seatbelts and only received injuries, not death.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Mr. Stewart

I've got to take off. Good talking to you all.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Stew I member as a very young girl seeing a water fountain that had a sign over that said "Colored only".

I thought colored water was gonna come out. lol
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
I'm confused. Is this about private companies hiring who they wish or refusing service to whom they wish based on ethnicity, etc...? In the former, qualifications and other things are certainly an issue. In the latter, I would think that the only qualification would be the ability to pay for the services.
I agree. I think any form of discrimination based of race should be illegal, and that goes for public and private, male or female owned, or black or white owned businesses.

A few years ago, my wife was hiring a new inside rep for her company and she decided to hire a bright black girl right out of college with a bachelors degree. What was a good gesture of diversifying the races of her employees turned into a nightmare. Every time my wife had to call her into her office because of a problem, the race card was played by the new employee. After several complaints by other employees and especially customers and clients, it was decided that she wasn't working out for the company. If she would have been any race but black, my wife would have easily fired her! Because she was black, the company had to document everything in a fire-proof manner because they assumed that she would try to sue them for racial reasons and possibly try make a media case out of it for attention. BTW, my wife was being advised by the personnel guy for her company WHO WAS BLACK!

It took two extra months to have everything they needed to defend the firing. As a result, my wife is very careful and digs a little bit deeper into the background of all job candidates. She just doesn't want the headache again.