Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Banned

Re: How important is the Lord's Supper to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiding Now View Post
and let's not forget foot washing.

John 13:12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

John 13:13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

John 13:14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
I see Christ's act of foot washing as being an example of how we are to serve one another. I don't see an institutionalized ordinance or rite to be repeated. Let's look at the passage again...
John 13:12-15
So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you
It was an example in the moment. We do the same not by washing feet... but by serving one another with respect and reverence.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Some say only those who have the Holy Ghost should partake of the bread and wine of the Lord's Supper.

But the disciples were given communion by Jesus himself - BEFORE they had the Spirit. According to the traditional theory and rules for the Lord's Supper, as maintained by catholics, protestants, and apparently even by some here... the original disciples would not have been eligible to partake when Jesus told them to. And Jesus himself was out of line with their rules, for he gave the bread and wine to people who had not been baptised with the Spirit.

Hmmm....
Amen.

In the house churches I attend the breaking of bread and passing of the cup is a message in itself. The single loaf of bread, being torn apart for the sustenance of those present, is the Lord's body. He was literally torn apart in His scourging and crucifixion. The cup represents the blood that was shed for our atonement. When the bread and the cup are passed around the table we remember Christ's sacrifice and how He has now come to reside in us as we partake in Him through the Spirit as the Bread of Life. We've even had visitors accept Christ's work upon the cross and break down weeping as the bread and the cup are passed.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephnxman View Post
I like the first paragraph. I would add, in the proper manner (talk to brother alone; two witnesses or three; tell the congregation).

The second is a little vague: the "...group doing the ex-communicating..."; I believe you mean the entire Church is the group, right?
I can visualize one little group in Church ex-communicating another little group;
well...you know what I mean.
I believe that should the issue not be resolved privately, or resolved after bringing witnesses, it should be told openly to the congregation or group. Then the entire body should have a voice as to if the person is to be ex-communicated, disciplined, or given more consideration. In our fellowship, we set aside a prayer meeting for it and then vote as a body.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I see Christ's act of foot washing as being an example of how we are to serve one another. I don't see an institutionalized ordinance or rite to be repeated. Let's look at the passage again...
So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
It was an example in the moment. We do the same not by washing feet... but by serving one another with respect and reverence.

I agree wholeheartedly, however, it does not answer the question - How does one's participation in the Lord's Supper by partaking of these sacred symbols, "SHEW the Lord's death till he come," as explicitly stated by Paul in I Corinthians 11:25. Does not the word "SHEW" (or, SHOW) in this context, indicate a "visible exhibit" or outward display of an inner feeling or belief?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafon View Post
I agree wholeheartedly, however, it does not answer the question - How does one's participation in the Lord's Supper by partaking of these sacred symbols, "SHEW the Lord's death till he come," as explicitly stated by Paul in I Corinthians 11:25. Does not the word "SHEW" (or, SHOW) in this context, indicate a "visible exhibit" or outward display of an inner feeling or belief?
The breaking of the bread shows, or demonstrates/symbolizes, the breaking of Christ's body as witnessed in the crucifixion. The passing of the cup represents our acceptance of the blood that was shed for our sins in the crucifixion, as it symbolizes Christ's blood. We are remembering the broken body and shed blood (Christ's death) every time we partake.

Remember, the first Christians didn't have a NT. They retold the story of Christ's death in the breaking of the bread and the passing of the cup.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Jesus did something out of the ordinary. The disciples did not expect it.

Jesus said his disciples OUGHT to do this to one another. Therefore we OUGHT to do it.

Jesus gave us an example, that we should do as he did.

If one does not practice footwashing, one is not doing what they OUGHT to do, nor is one following Jesus' example.

Jesus taught and demonstrated humility, agape, and service in many ways other than footwashing. Therefore when he says we OUGHT TO WASH ONE ANOTHER'S FEET he is not speaking metaphorically.

One cannot wash one another's feet by not washing one another's feet.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Jesus said his disciples OUGHT to do this to one another. Therefore we OUGHT to do it.

If one does not practice footwashing, one is not doing what they OUGHT to do, nor is one following Jesus' example.

Jesus taught and demonstrated humility, agape, and service in many ways other than footwashing. Therefore when he says we OUGHT TO WASH ONE ANOTHER'S FEET he is not speaking metaphorically.

Footwashing was a custom they did back then in the first century when they wore sandals. But now a days it seems out of place in the USA to do that. I don't want anyone to wash my feet. Aren't there other acts of service and hospitality we could do for one another?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 12-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

I see this position like Catholic sacraments. Instead of seeing the overall point of Christ's actions and how we should serve one another in all things, we enshrine the literal act and make it a ritual. But if you think it adds virtue to your walk... feel free to do it.

I'd also like to point out... no where do we see foot washing as an ordinance in the recorded history of the church (Acts of the Apostles) or the Epistles. So it's quite unlike baptism and the Lord's Supper, which we do see as common observances.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Footwashing was a custom they did back then in the first century when they wore sandals. But now a days it seems out of place in the USA to do that. I don't want anyone to wash my feet. Aren't there other acts of service and hospitality we could do for one another?
If a brother or sister's car broke down... commit to giving them a ride to church. If they don't have a lawn mower, lend them yours. If they are older and need help with lawn care or general home maintenance, be willing and available to do the work for them.

I know this doesn't speak for all churches... but in the first church I attended we practiced foot washing. However, if you were in desperate need of any kind... you were essentially on your own. This kind of neglect makes the very notion of a foot washing ritual a mockery of Christ's true lesson in the matter.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Jerry Moon

Jesus has the table spread, where the saints of God are feed, He invites his chosen ones, come and dine.

Come and die the master calls, come and dine, we can feast at Jesus table all the time.

The heresy hunters are still with us. Only now, instead of stakes, they use their books and radio programs to destroy those they consider heretics.... I'm concerned that heresy hunting may be turning into leukemia because some cultwatchers seem more intent on destroying parts of the body than healing the body....

Come see us on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/Revelationist1948
http://www.sermon.net/sermons-Biblic...rch-14145.html