Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
eternity, hell, lake of fire, suffer, swimming

Old 10-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Lake Of Fire Revelation

I went to bed last night and before I fell asleep, I had this terrible thought come to mind about death and eternity.

So it is bad enough that the wicked will be banished to a literal lake of fire for an eternity.

But imagine you are wicked and cannot swim.

Imagine swallowing in gulps of liquid flame.

Imagine your body convulsing as you begin to choke on the liquid flame because you cannot swim.

Imagine flailing your arms tring to stay afloat in liquid flame.

Imagine your eyes opening and shutting as you try to get the liquid flame to not burn your eyes.

Is there a top, a surface to the lake of fire, where, if you can keep yourself afloat, you can breathe in air instead of flame?

What about when you are too tired stay afloat-- do you sink into lake of flame only to have your body violently convulse within the lake of flame?

Then I had the thought, if Heaven is real, then hell must be too-- and so must the lake of fire!

Terrifying thoughts!

I am glad the Lord is saving me from the destruction and pain that, if left to my own devices, I would bring myself in this life and in the life to come.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

Re: Lake Of Fire Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I went to bed last night and before I fell asleep, I had this terrible thought come to mind about death and eternity.

So it is bad enough that the wicked will be banished to a literal lake of fire for an eternity.

But imagine you are wicked and cannot swim.

Imagine swallowing in gulps of liquid flame.

Imagine your body convulsing as you begin to choke on the liquid flame because you cannot swim.

Imagine flailing your arms tring to stay afloat in liquid flame.

Imagine your eyes opening and shutting as you try to get the liquid flame to not burn your eyes.

Is there a top, a surface to the lake of fire, where, if you can keep yourself afloat, you can breathe in air instead of flame?

What about when you are too tired stay afloat-- do you sink into lake of flame only to have your body violently convulse within the lake of flame?

Then I had the thought, if Heaven is real, then hell must be too-- and so must the lake of fire!

Terrifying thoughts!

I am glad the Lord is saving me from the destruction and pain that, if left to my own devices, I would bring myself in this life and in the life to come.

Amen, this place you described is horiffic. Now think of the opposite of hell....that is your reward.

All we must do is endure to the end. Never let life steal away your precious faith. You will walk in eternity forever in eternal bliss.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Obviously very few believers believe in Hell. If they did they would war against sin as a deadly enemy. They would witness to people to help them escape it.

Yes it is true that there will be such a place. God does not give immortality to its inhabitants. That's why the lake of fire is called "the second death". Rev. 20:14
Old 10-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Obviously very few believers believe in Hell. If they did they would war against sin as a deadly enemy. They would witness to people to help them escape it.

Yes it is true that there will be such a place. God does not give immortality to its inhabitants. That's why the lake of fire is called "the second death". Rev. 20:14

Brother, hell is eternal. Read Mark 9:42-47 and Rev 14...9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,

10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

I personally dont believe in ANNIHILATION of a lost soul, because of the Word of God's teachings, but I hope I am wrong 1000 times over!

Last edited by Sean; 10-08-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

If someone thought they would burn in Hell for ONE DAY.....as described by Jeremy they would do ANYTHING for salvation.

And yet todays teachers glibly tell the audience in the pews they will enter the kingdom of heaven with sin in their life!

Preachers being PAID to assure souls heading for Hell they will be ok.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 PM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
If someone thought they would burn in Hell for ONE DAY.....as described by Jeremy they would do ANYTHING for salvation.

And yet todays teachers glibly tell the audience in the pews they will enter the kingdom of heaven with sin in their life!

Preachers being PAID to assure souls heading for Hell they will be ok.
This is SO true!!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 AM
On the road less traveled

Eternal torment is a hard concept for our minds to grasp.

I am like Sean... I hope that the eternal torment concept is something that we have misunderstood.

Nevertheless, we must focus on the positives of our relationship with the Lord, or the fear that will control us otherwise will also be detrimental to our faith. We cannot be driven because of fear, but because of love and faith in our Almighty God.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Eternal torment is a hard concept for our minds to grasp.

I am like Sean... I hope that the eternal torment concept is something that we have misunderstood.

Nevertheless, we must focus on the positives of our relationship with the Lord, or the fear that will control us otherwise will also be detrimental to our faith. We cannot be driven because of fear, but because of love and faith in our Almighty God.
Sister,

We dont have to fear if we give ourselves to being like Yeshua. If we are like him when he comes we will have boldness in the day of judgment.

17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 1 John 4:17

Everyone who is like him on that day has nothing to fear only to rejoice!

Anyone who is NOT like him whether they claim to be a Christian or not should be very concerned.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Threads on Hell seem to die very quickly. Its something people dont want to discuss. Rather than ignore it we should be learning about it and able to teach it. After all it is a foundation truth of Christ.

I doubt very many really believe in eternal torment of people who are not holy. Usually everyone believes their loved ones prayed a death bed prayer escaping Hell. Most of the rest are ok with Hell as long as no one they know has to go there.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Threads on Hell seem to die very quickly. Its something people dont want to discuss. Rather than ignore it we should be learning about it and able to teach it. After all it is a foundation truth of Christ.

I doubt very many really believe in eternal torment of people who are not holy. Usually everyone believes their loved ones prayed a death bed prayer escaping Hell. Most of the rest are ok with Hell as long as no one they know has to go there.
Do you find the Bible to be very clear in its discourses on a literal hell and a literal and distinct lake of fire?

I can remember a time in my childhood when I thought both were the same place.

I have always thought that the wicked would be tormented forever-- those who die without knowing and being known by Christ.