Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

View Poll Results: Are sins forgiven at repentance or baptism?
Repentance 59 81.94%
Baptism 12 16.67%
Unsure 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
delete account

Re: New Doctrine Emerges: NOT Forgiven at Repentan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I think instead of pushing baptist junk on an Apostolic board, DanA ought to go find another bill price to corrupt. He did a fine job on ole bill.
Ferd,

Every man/woman is responsibile for their own soul. Dan was not the beginning nor the ending of the emotional and spiritual fluctuations of our friend. There are times for personal accountablity and Christian maturity. Every man/woman must practice the spiritual disciplines and pray for an ear and heart that is in tune with the word as it is being preached/taught.

Stop blaming Dan, or anyone for that matter...pray for Bill.

Blessings,
Rhoni
Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev. Duane Williams View Post
I guess all of Jesus' parables were silly too, eh. I mean, being "born of the water and of the Spirit"? And by the way, on the Catholic "original sin" doctrine, God said no man shall be punished for the sins of his father. Trust me, people won't be able to say, "I had to sin, it's the way you made me, I couldn't help it" on judgement day. Yes, we all jumped into the mud, but thankfully we didn't tarry, we arose and were Baptized, WASHING AWAY OUR SINS, calling on the Name of the Lord(Acts 22:16). Those who preach so fervently against Baptism will have to give an account of why they directly fought against God's Word in the following Scriptures:

Acts 2:38
Mark 16:16
Acts 10:47
Acts 22:16
Romans 6:3-4
1 Corinthians 12:13
Galatians 3:27
John 3:5
1 John 5:8
Colossians 2:12
1 Peter 3:21
BTW, nobody is fervently preaching against baptism. I believe you should be baptized in Jesus Christ. What I don't believe is water has power to save you. Remember its..."calling on the name of the Lord that cleanses us"...baptism without full repentance is just getting wet. We baptize because of what he has already done for us.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Perhaps it's this one:

II Chronicles 25:4 But he slew not their children, but did as it is written in the law in the book of Moses, where the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers, but every man shall die for his own sin.
Thanks, I knew you'd pull this one out...but this has nothing to do with the sin nature. We are cursed and condemned already through the sin nature.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Deut 24:16 is referring to being punished by the Mosaic law for something you did not do. Example...my dad stole a chicken so I have to go to prison for him.

The curse of sin is ever present with us. It's only through the atoning work of Calvary that this curse is broken.

Gal 3:10
10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

We are responsible for our own sin...our own sin was given to us by Adam. We take responsibility for it when we go to Calvary.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysharp View Post
Thanks, I knew you'd pull this one out...but this has nothing to do with the sin nature. We are cursed and condemned already through the sin nature.
How'd you know I'd "pull it out?" You weren't talking to me when I answered you. Anyway, I wasn't pulling anything out...just suggesting his reference. LOL!!!!

Quote:
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Deut 24:16 is referring to being punished by the Mosaic law for something you did not do. Example...my dad stole a chicken so I have to go to prison for him.
Oh. Thanks for the lesson. Like I said, I was suggesting Evangelist's reference--not making his point for myself.

Now, ME, I would have used THIS passage:

Eze 18:19 Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.
Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
Eze 18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 18:22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
Eze 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Eze 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.
Eze 18:25 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?
Eze 18:26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.
Eze 18:27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.

How about that? Do you think that refers to natural consequences of wrongdoing? Or eternal damnation?

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
delete account

James 1:8; 4:8 A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. KJV
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
James 1:8; 4:8 A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. KJV
How does this verse relate to this thread?

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
How does this verse relate to this thread?
Sorry - just on a roll...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Ferd,

Every man/woman is responsibile for their own soul. Dan was not the beginning nor the ending of the emotional and spiritual fluctuations of our friend. There are times for personal accountablity and Christian maturity. Every man/woman must practice the spiritual disciplines and pray for an ear and heart that is in tune with the word as it is being preached/taught.

Stop blaming Dan, or anyone for that matter...pray for Bill.

Blessings,
Rhoni
you already said that. It didnt work the first time. it sure wont this time....

first thing I do when I read things is consider the source.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
Hmmm ... let's see, I guess we need a new song.

"At the Cross" isn't good enough.

At the creek,
At the creek,
Where I first saw the light
And the burdens of my heart rolled away,
It was there by water I received my sight
And now I go sputtin' all the day ...

By the way, we've heard that little catch phrase in all our lives ... another UPC saying that sounds good and soothes the masses but no one really knows what it means.

Now will one of you great theologians elaborate well and be specific and tell me what the difference is between FORGIVENESS and REMITTANCE?
actually Tim, the reality is we should all just chuck the OP line and go with the episcopalians. (and I dont care what I misspelled)
Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you already said that. It didnt work the first time. it sure wont this time....

first thing I do when I read things is consider the source.
piddle-de doo.

Good night oh great Ferd!