Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-24-2021, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Re: Sons Inheriting Churches from Fathers $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
It’s not about if they’ve been to seminary. At least it isn’t to me. I’ve been around so many that have been to seminary that have buyers remorse. I can’t tell you how many have told me that the most valuable thing they got at Bible college was their spouse. And many didn’t even get a spouse. That’s why IBC is known as Indiana Bridal College.

To pretend that young, dedicated, devout young apostolics have to have seminary to be qualified is perhaps not the best idea at all. I think it can be a good thing but it certainly isn’t a cure all. The Bible says that a bishop shouldn’t be a novice. He should rule his house well. Some of these young preachers don’t have a house or barely do. And they are novices. Therefore they are not qualified, regardless of whether they’ve been to seminary. But often these rules are thrown out the window when the pastors son is up for consideration.

I’m referring to a real seminary or school of theological instruction. Not IBC or similar. Most instructors at UPCI sponsored Bible Schools did not have graduate degrees 20 years ago. That has started to change a little. A qualified seminary will teach you how to systematically teach the Bible. Your thoughts and viewpoints will evolve but the foundation is extremely important.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoast1 View Post
I’m referring to a real seminary or school of theological instruction. Not IBC or similar. Most instructors at UPCI sponsored Bible Schools did not have graduate degrees 20 years ago. That has started to change a little. A qualified seminary will teach you how to systematically teach the Bible. Your thoughts and viewpoints will evolve but the foundation is extremely important.
Please show me in scripture where anyone went to seminary.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loran adkins View Post
Please show me in scripture where anyone went to seminary.
This is western culture brother, 2000 years removed. Apostolic churches practice many things not covered in scripture and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The ministry like any occupation didn't emphasize formal education as late as the mid 20th century. In fact, most early ministers of the oneness movement had no more than a 6 grade education. It's about where we are as a society and bettering ourselves to serve in as broad a manner as possible. When I went through a divorce just over 10 years ago the pastor, a church I had not been attending very long, made the statement more than once "I'm not a marriage counselor." Well, he probably should be or at least have the basic training to be you'd think.

Last edited by returnman; 03-25-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:12 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnman View Post
This is western culture brother, 2000 years removed. Apostolic churches practice many things not covered in scripture and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The ministry like any occupation didn't emphasize formal education as late as the mid 20th century. In fact, most early ministers of the oneness movement had no more than a 6 grade education. It's about where we are as a society and bettering ourselves to serve in as broad a manner as possible. When I went through a divorce just over 10 years ago the pastor, a church I had not been attending very long, made the statement more than once "I'm not a marriage counselor." Well, he probably should be or at least have the basic training to be you'd think.
We've had seminaries available for over 150 years+. And just look at how solidly conservative stick-to-Bible they are! No wonder the nation has improved greatly in its general moral condition!

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-25-2021, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Brethren, please change the course of this thread to more generically discuss the merits or lack thereof regarding pastoral nepotism, and leave off the specifics and personal names of the church in question, or I will lock the thread.
Ima be honest, I don’t know if I have offended or not, I don’t even know what a nepotism is.
I’m guessing if I had done it “ I would know” , so safe to assume I haven’t nepotismed?
Old 03-25-2021, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Jesus chose disciples that were not precisely that educated in the Scriptures. There were fishermen and a tax collector among his disciples. However, Jesus did not leave them uneducated regarding the Word of God. Matthew, the tax collector, considered a traitor, and probably banned from synagogues, wrote a Gospel well structured for didactic teaching, and full of Old Testament references. Peter, a fisherman, preached his first Sermon in the Day of Pentecost with several Scriptures references and reasoning (wisdom) to prove his points, in a very anointed way. Luke recorded that the religious leaders at the time were very astonished at the wisdom of Peter. That wisdom came from dedication, preparation and anointing. They all spent three years under the direct training of Jesus.

They didn't call it Seminaries, instead, they had a different system, but at the end of the day, it is preparation.

The kind of preparation matters. Are you preparing people to think or to echo exactly what you tell them without questioning? When you prepare you are also teaching an attitude. Going through preparation doesn't mean you are going to discover the truth, otherwise all those trinitarians that are going to Seminaries would have discovered the truth. At the end of the day, it is still a human system.

Last edited by coksiw; 03-25-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Jesus chose disciples that were not precisely that educated in the Scriptures. There were fishermen and a tax collector among his disciples. However, Jesus did not leave them uneducated regarding the Word of God. Matthew, the tax collector, considered a traitor, and probably banned from synagogues, wrote a Gospel well structured for didactic teaching, and full of Old Testament references. Peter, a fisherman, preached his first Sermon in the Day of Pentecost with several Scriptures references and reasoning (wisdom) to prove his points, in a very anointed way. Luke recorded that the religious leaders at the time were very astonished at the wisdom of Peter. That wisdom came from dedication, preparation and anointing. They all spent three years under the direct training of Jesus.

They didn't call it Seminaries, instead, they had a different system, but at the end of the day, it is preparation.

The kind of preparation matters. Are you preparing people to think or to echo exactly what you tell them without questioning? When you prepare you are also teaching an attitude. Going through preparation doesn't mean you are going to discover the truth, otherwise all those trinitarians that are going to Seminaries would have discovered the truth. At the end of the day, it is still a human system.
This is a very well balanced analysis.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Nepotism can be avoided by having specific features in the church bylaws and constitution detailing how new pastors are installed. Combine that with a church board that functions at a high level, and the chance of nepotism is quote low.

So if two thirds of the voting members are required for a minister to become the new pastor, then the new pastor is determined by the congregation, not by the outgoing pastor.

Another quality feature would be if the bylaws had a feature where a pulpit committee vets the applications for the vacant pastorate. The committee sifts through the pile of applications and presents the best of the candidates to the congregation.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Nepotism can be avoided by having specific features in the church bylaws and constitution detailing how new pastors are installed. Combine that with a church board that functions at a high level, and the chance of nepotism is quote low.

So if two thirds of the voting members are required for a minister to become the new pastor, then the new pastor is determined by the congregation, not by the outgoing pastor.

Another quality feature would be if the bylaws had a feature where a pulpit committee vets the applications for the vacant pastorate. The committee sifts through the pile of applications and presents the best of the candidates to the congregation.

Just my two cents.
Just good old consideration of the members. And these bylaws need to be established when you DON’T need them. That way, when the time comes, you have the procedure in place and ready to deploy.

I totally agree Scott.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
We've had seminaries available for over 150 years+. And just look at how solidly conservative stick-to-Bible they are! No wonder the nation has improved greatly in its general moral condition!
Most of the liberal universities (but I’m being redundant) that you’ve heard of, started out as Bible schools. Then they always seem to drift towards liberalism. I think this is established fact. I’d like to hear ideas about why that seems to be so consistently true. I have my theories, but I wouldn’t want to bias the data towards my view.