Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Are you an Apostolic?

Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.

Do you believe in the above statements? Yes or No?

Last edited by larrylyates; 05-09-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Re: Are you an Apostolic?

This was supposed to be a "Poll" but it didn't come up that way. Sorry. You can still answer and even elaborate if you choose.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

I believe all these things. But these things alone does not make us "fully Apostolic". The Apostles doctrine includes all the foundation doctrine of Christ, the sermon on the mount and everything else they taught.

I do identify with the term "Apostolic". But Im ok with Charismatic/Pentecostal also.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

I am not Apostolic cause number 4. was not the only biblical mode of water baptism...

Noah’s type baptism
Peter mentions that eight people were saved by water in an ark as a type of a future baptism. (Gen 6:13; 1 Peter 3:20-21) Baptism unto Moses
Paul presents Israel’s baptism unto Moses “in the cloud and in the sea”. (1 Cor 10:1-2; Exo 14:29)
Israel’s ceremonial cleansings
These cleansing rituals were required under the Mosaic Law for the cleansing of the people. (Num 19:13; Lev 11:25; Exo 19:14; Exo 30:17-21; Heb 9:10)

Levitical priesthood baptisms
These washings were required in order to become a priest under the Law of Moses.
(Exo 29:4; Lev 8:6; Num 8:7)
Traditional Jewish baptisms
These baptisms were not mandated under the Law but were part of Jewish tradition.
(Mt 15:1-2; Mk 7:1-9; Lk 11:38)
John’s baptism
John came to Israel baptizing with water for the remission of sins so that they could enter the promised kingdom. (Mt 3:5-6; Mk 1:4; Lk 3:3; Jn 1:31; Lk 7:29; Acts 10:37)
Jesus’ baptism by John
Jesus, who knew no sin, was baptized by John to fulfill all righteousness. (Mat 3:13-17; Mk 1:9-10)
Baptism with fireJesus would baptize the nation with fire as they went through the tribulation. This trial baptism would ........ the unfaithful to hell. (Isa 4:4; Mal 3:2-3; Mt 3:11; Lk 3:16)
Jesus’ baptism unto death
Jesus’ second baptism which he accomplished at the cross where he was identified with the sins of Israel and the world. (Mt 20:22-23; Mk 10:38-39; Luke 12:50)
Pentecostal water baptism
Peter’s presentation of water baptism for the remission of sins in the name of Jesus. (Acts 2:38; Mk 16:16; Mt 28:19; Acts 22:16; Eze 36:25)
Pentecostal Spirit baptism
This is the baptism with the Holy Spirit by Jesus Christ from heaven poured out upon the believing remnant of Israel with signs and powers following. (Isa 44:3; Mt 3:11; Mk 1:8; Lk 24:49; Acts 2:17-18, 38; Acts 8:15-17; Acts 11:16)
Gentile baptism of Cornelius
Cornelius was baptized with the Holy Spirit as a sign to Peter. Peter subsequently baptizes Cornelius and the other Spirit-filled Gentiles with water. (Acts 10:45-48)
Baptism for the dead
This baptism is debated heavily and is most likely synonymous with one of the other baptisms. If this is true, “for the dead” would signify the circumstance under which those believers were baptized. (1 Cor 15:29)
Baptism into Christ
The only baptism taught by Paul which identifies the believer with Christ, his death, and resurrection. This baptism is performed by the Spirit and does not include water.
(1 Cor 12:13; Eph 4:5; Col 2:12; Gal 3:27; Rom 6:3-4)

So to answer your (4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.) there was other forms of water baptism in the bible that was not done in (Jesus Name) so Jesus name Baptism is not the only biblical mode of water baptism..

And on #5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues..

I have seen plenty of folks that have all the faith in the world, but have not spoke in Tongues.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism

Theres more to the bible then just reading it...The custom and traditions done over 2000 years ago where way diffrent then todays times...

Last edited by KWSS1976; 05-09-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Absolutely!
To point 4 I agree that there is only ONE baptism for the remission of sins!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 AM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylyates View Post
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.

Do you believe in the above statements? Yes or No?
Yes, I do!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Unequivocally YES!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM

I do believe most of these things, yes, and do not find fault with anyone who follows this prescription.

However, I do not believe that what is said over one at baptism makes a whit of difference. I believe that remission of sins is a direct result of the desire of the one being baptized to start afresh in the Lord and their submission to Him in baptism.

I have seen many put under the water who could not have said a complete sentence about why they were being baptized... and are soon found back out in sin. I have also seen people baptized by a person who later is found to have been living a terribly sinfull life. In my experience this does nothing to invalidate the baptism or change in any way the experience of the person who was baptized.

So for these reasons I don't think anything the 'baptizer' says or does during the dunk makes any difference at all. The experience of baptism is strictly between the person being baptized and God and just about any method will do as long as they have faith that they are made new.

So do you find me Apostolic enough?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
...So do you find me Apostolic enough?
Ha! The question ends up being, "Who are you asking?" Personally, I find you to be post-Apostolic.

I agree with everything up there, except what some guy added, the "with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues" part.