Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

View Poll Results: Are sins forgiven at repentance or baptism?
Repentance 59 81.94%
Baptism 12 16.67%
Unsure 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Re: New Doctrine Emerges: NOT Forgiven at Repentan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
The blood was shed at Calvary.

If the blood was applied at the cross to my heart (this is where the washing takes place), then I was forgiven before I ever believed, repented, and was baptized.
hmmm, now you are making me think. Truly, when are our sins forgiven.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
If Jesus commanded that we baptize and that souls be baptized....is it not then a command? Yes or no?
You are funny. Of course he commanded it just like he commanded us to take communion but I don't see you making it a part of the new birth process.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysharp View Post
You were forgiven before the foundation of the world. Christs' forgiveness has nothing to do with you accepting His gift. I can forgive you before you offend me, while you are offending me and after you offend me.

We can only come into relationship if you receive my gift to you. The blood was applied at Calvary, now its up to humanity to accept and receive the gift Christ offered for us; his own body on a tree.

Here are just a few scriptures, many more on this subject.

Matthew 25:34
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Ephesians 1:4
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Hebrews 4:3
For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hebrews 9
26For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
You beat me too it!!! This is what I was going to ask. When you really get down to it our sins are already forgiven and the price has been paid. We must accept what Christ has done for us. This is the power of the gospel.

Our repentance and faith allows us to enter into a covenant relationship with Christ.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Bro. David K. Bernard wrote about how Justification, Regeneration, Adoption, and Sanctification all work together for the salvation of the individual in his book, The New Birth. I believe it's chapter 13.
Lol, I asked for scripture, not David Bernard's book. I want to know if YOU have scripture.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
The writers of the Scriptures dictate the meaning ... not translators ...

they used one word for both forgivenes and remission ... aphesis.

There is no separation. You will not see this in the NIV, ESV, NASB or even in the Spanish RVA

It is for this reason that Bernard, and maybe even, Mizpeh ... have to include repentance + baptism = aphesis/forgiveness/remission ...

to remain true to the Word.
So what are you saying? That you disagree with the translators? Or that you agree that repentance and baptism work together to bring about forgiveness? IF both use the same word, then baptism DOES bring about forgiveness/remission and would be necessary. Right?

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Lol, I asked for scripture, not David Bernard's book. I want to know if YOU have scripture.
Ok, so the manual isn't scripture, and now you are saying DB's book isn't scripture. Next thing you'll be saying is that AOF isn't scripture and Haneywood isn't the Holiest of Holies!!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
From another thread:

Sniff ... sniff ... sniff ...

FALSE DOCTRINE ALERT!!!!

You stand with the Roman church on that one, Mizzy ...

Not even Bernard or most of the 3 step crowd has gone that haywire.

Do you agree w/ Mizpeh in her new-fangled 3 step doctrine that our sins are not forgiven at repentance?
cursador for silliness alert!!!!!!

Hey everybody look at danA! he needs you all to bow to his desire to make us all into baptists!

yea danA!

snort
Old 09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

I believe that our sins are forgiven at repentance. Baptism in Jesus Name and receiving the Holy Ghost are also necessary for salvation.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Here we go. There was a little girl who went out to play in her brand new dress. She saw a mud puddle and thought "Why not?" and jumped right in. She got her dress filthy. Realizing the wrong she had done, she went to her father in tears of true remorse, saying "Daddy please forgive me!"(repentance). Her dad's heart melts and he says "I forgive you."(forgiveness of sin). She is forgiven and won't be punished, but her dress is still filthy and is not presentable. Her dad would still be ashamed of her in public. Her dad then washes the dress with a healthy dose of spray-n-wash(baptism), and the dress comes out sparkling clean(remission of sin). He then plants a device in the dress(Spirit) that sounds an audible and visible alarm whenever she goes near the mud again(power over sin).

Repentance= forgiveness of sin
Water Baptism in Jesus' Name= remission(washing away) of sin
Holy Spirit Baptism= power over sin

Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
hmmm, now you are making me think. Truly, when are our sins forgiven.
Don't be deceived,there are many deceivers in the world who twist God's word because they don't understand.Our sins are forgiven before the foundation of the world because God had a plan then to send his Son.His Son is the word of God and there is forgiveness of sins only in the word when a person obeys the word.