Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Wild Side
Facebook

Notices

The Wild Side Firearms & Hunting; Feed your wild side here!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

What gun would you hike with?

....or camp with?

For me, my Glock 19 which coincidentally, is the one I carry when I go to Target or Walmart as well.
But when I am hiking, I also stuff either my Ruger LC9 (with three extra mags) or my Ruger SR22 (again, with three extra mags), in a separate pack.

Me and my trusty sidearm this past weekend up in Flagstaff.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Re: What gun would you hike with?

Another one taken just a an hour or two earlier of my backside as we're climbing out of a lava tube. Yes, I am even carrying in a cave!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM
On the road less traveled

Great pics RW... so how was the hike?

As far as the gun of choice when hiking... that is a good question. We live here close to grizzly bear territory, and of course we are in moose, elk, and black bear territory. I often hike seeing moose, elk and bear tracks/droppings. My husband has been concerned that my can of mace or bear spray is not good enough.

We stopped by Cabela's to look at a gun for me, that would be comfortable for me to carry, and provide general protection from 4-foot and 2-foot predators

The guy at Cabela's was a reserve cop, who also did a lot of hiking, and had quite a bit of experience with different guns. Now, I can't remember exactly which gun he recommended, but it seems it was a Ruger for all around good protection.

However, he recommended not even trying to shoot at a bear with any gun except a high powered rifle, simply because they are so difficult to kill with a pistol, and more often than not, the shot only makes them angry. He recommended I carry bear spray, and use bear spray for bears. But, for other animals/human predators, to also carry a Ruger.

It would be like carrying an extra 10-15 pounds with you to carry bear spray, and a pistol. And in the state I live in, if you make a mistake and kill a grizzly, thinking it is a black bear (because they can look very similar), you are in BIG trouble, because grizzlies are an endangered species. So... for me... I think bear spray is my first option, and if all else fails, then pulling out the pistol...
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

I would not discount general "bear spray" or mace as a good large animal weapon. Mace, or pepper spray, will turn away a good sized bear instantly, the only issue is that it only works within a 5-15 foot area and you probably don't want to be that close to begin with.

Also, just about ANY sized round will kill a bear, the only question is how fast. Although my Glock is a 9mm, if your ONLY worried about large game then I would recommend at least a 45. A huge issue with bringing down a large animal isn't just the size of the bullet but how many you can land. Thus I feel like I could fire FAR more accurate rounds downstream with a 9 then I could with a 45 even though the 9's have a LITTLE less stopping power.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

Oh, and I carry pepper spray with me at all time as well, along with a good Streamlight Strion flashlight.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 PM

I'm in the Smoky Mountains over the next 6 days on vacation. I will be hiking w my kel tek .380 (w clip and laser.), that I commonly carry anyway.

Brought my xdm compact 9 too, I might take it hiking, but likely will just take the .380 as it is a little more confortable and concealable.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 08-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
I'm in the Smoky Mountains over the next 6 days on vacation. I will be hiking w my kel tek .380 (w clip and laser.), that I commonly carry anyway.

Brought my xdm compact 9 too, I might take it hiking, but likely will just take the .380 as it is a little more confortable and concealable.
If your hiking you can easily carry a 2nd gun in your backpack or fanny pack. When camping or hiking I would always have two guns on me, along with extra ammo for both. Far more than when your just doing your day to day business.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
....or camp with?

For me, my Glock 19 which coincidentally, is the one I carry when I go to Target or Walmart as well.
But when I am hiking, I also stuff either my Ruger LC9 (with three extra mags) or my Ruger SR22 (again, with three extra mags), in a separate pack.

Me and my trusty sidearm this past weekend up in Flagstaff.

GREAT picture! Awesome depth of field.

Been Thinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM

From the top of Mount Laconte today. 5 mile climb to the top, and 5 back down. Legs still hurt.
Just took my .380.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.2 KB, 6 views)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 08-09-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
From the top of Mount Laconte today. 5 mile climb to the top, and 5 back down. Legs still hurt.
Just took my .380.
A .380 is better than nothing! I am thinking of getting a Ruger 380 for those times when I am not supposed to be carrying but nonetheless want a gun on me. hint hint <shhhhhhhhhhhhh>

Last edited by RandyWayne; 08-09-2013 at 11:24 PM.