Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:05 AM
Hacked account

Need advice on leaving

I go to a upc church and have been there approx 7 years. We have been involved in the music the whole time but have been in actual music leadership about 5 years. We have learned a lot of lessons good and bad while we've been at this church. We (my spouse and myself) are both conservative and grew up in conservative churches. A little while after we got married, we moved away from where we grew up and decided to find a church closer to our new home. We visited around a couple times and were very sold on the church we now attend. The pastor is young and and vibrant, lots of vision, preaches amazing and it was a great opportunity to help him grow his church (he has been pastor 11 years) and allow us to grow in our musical dreams as well.

Fast forward several years later and we find ourselves in a bad spot. We often hear people's personal situations being told over the pulpit, no names mentioned but we all know who / why /what and when usually. Many times people are bullied into doing events or anything to do with the church, the pastor and his family. I don't know how to speak of it in a very positive manner without tearing the pastor/pastor's family down. I pray that this is taken in seriousness, not bitterness and anger. We've realized that there has been very clear dishonesty to us, about us and situations have been twisted and turned for the benefit of leadership (pastor). Even to the point of the leaders telling us something very clearly then getting in church service and saying over the pulpit that the very thing they told us (others too) was a rumor - that they never said it. ?!?!?!?! It hit me in the gut. Then, it seemed like it continued to happen and eventually it's gotten us to the point that we feel like we're losing our minds. We have actually apologized for issues that we didn't even cause or have anything to do with, all because they will not apologize or admit the truth. We have literally poured out everything we have, time, money, emotion, love, giftings to the church and music ministry and it's never good enough. I was once told it wasn't "Disney fireworks" and that it needed to be. I feel for the people cause I know they are all volunteering hours and days of their precious time to practice to only leave beatdown by the pastor/family. It hurts so so much. 9 families have left in the last 2 years.

A personal example, I was asked to decorate a wall and I said I could not afford to do so, but I wouldn't mind helping another person with it. That night, it was said over the pulpit that "someone" argued about doing this very thing. I'm just in utter shock at how these things keep coming about. I am emotionally beat down. My family leads the music (we are not paid, we are volunteers) yet the leaders do not even communicate to us about when to set special practice times. Practice times/dates were set and it turned out to be a night that I could not take off from work. This situation turned into a "teaching point" once again that we do not take God or church as imporant ... mind you, we are VOLUNTEERS and have to work to survive. I'm afraid this is affecting my marriage, my children and their perspective of leadership.

I'm struggling because I can't imagine that my leaders could even do these things. It's just not something I'd ever expect. To be honest, both sets of our parents have urged us to leave and seek a safe place. Our minister friends and family have urged us to be cautious, pray and leave as soon as possible. Our issue is that the pastor has told us we CAN'T leave. He's told us we're not going anywhere. We are planning to end out this year with a meeting face to face and let him know we feel it's time to move on and seek out where God can give us restoration etc.

My question - I do not want to ruin any reputation that I have and any future music endeavors. But obviously, my family and sanity are much more important than even that right now. Have you or anyone you know legitamately been in this situation? We've searched our hearts and have no ill will or any bitterness, we just feel it's best to cut ties. I need advice on how to handle a very tough meeting with a pastor that will try to guilt or possibly tell us we can't go. Our mind is set and we know it's God nudging us to leave. It's also common sense.

I need advice on how to handle the meeting. Please help! Thanks.

Last edited by Pente3; 11-16-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Banned

Re: Need advice on leaving

Is this for real?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:12 AM
On the road less traveled

There have been plenty of similar stories of situations like this shared on this forum. The advice you will get here, in this post/thread will be varied and in the end, you must turn to the LORD for guidance in how to deal with this situation. You must pray, fast, do whatever it takes and spend time in prayer with your family together, and ask the Lord how best to handle this.

Everyone on here will offer you an opinion on what you should do. I could too. Because I have been in a similar situation such as yours. But I won't, because I found that the opinions of men don't count. This is a time, when like never before, you need to turn to THE LORD for your guidance and direction, and not to the opinions of men.

Jesus is your kind shepherd and loves your family, and you know what, the Lord loves the pastor and his family too, despite all their shenanigans.

Leaving is not wrong, but if you leave with bitterness and malice, that would be hurtful and harmful most to you. Pray for the pastor and his family, and the situation there, and ask the Lord to bless them, and give you direction as how to handle it.

The LORD will not let you down, of that I can promise you with full assurance!

In Jesus Name I will be praying for you and your family that the Lord directs you where He wants you to be!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Covenant Apostolic

sounds like you need a vacation and some relaxation, doing something fun and enjoyable with your family.

learn to just smile and say *no, I can't do that, sorry*
Old 11-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Banned

i was gonna say, ya. call him up, this pastor, today, and say you have a family emergency, which you do, and you won't be in to church this Sunday, apologies. and you won't be in any Sunday's after that, either, sorry. If you think you'll get resistance, leave it on the recorder after business hours. best of luck
Old 11-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Hacked account

Why would you ask that?
Old 11-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pente3 View Post
Why would you ask that?
What is the Lord Jesus Christ telling you and your husband through all of this?

Allow me to explain.

It seems odd to some of us, including myself that people would air out dirty laundry or ask such advise from a forum. Don't get me wrong, forums are built that way. People feel comfortable and relaxed when they have an alias they are posting under. Yet, they flesh out their skeleton to such a degree, that anyone close to their situation would recognize it is them posting. Now, what you did say is that your hesitation for leaving is the worry you might not be able to get a singing gig in any other UP churches, if you left the wrong way? If this is in fact the case you might want to think about who puts people in that position anyway. From what it sounds like, you already know full well what you perceive to be going on. So, therefore you aren't really going crazy. If the situation is a gas light issue you have already broken the hold. Now, you just have to pray for an open door. You and your husband keep it to yourselves, and stop (from what it looks like to me) counseling saints who have come to you both with questions? All that really does is stir the stink, and when the boat finally capsizes and everyone is in the water, you and your husband don't sound like you are going to invite them into your lifeboat. Meaning you don't have Home Missions at the end of your tunnel. It is a sticky situation, which just ends up super bad if not handled properly by YOU two. What is the Lord Jesus Christ telling you through all of this? That is what you and your husband need to find out, and it won't be here on THIS forum.

Last edited by Evang.Benincasa; 11-16-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Pente3 I will be praying for you, your husband, the pastor, and the saints in your church family.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

We live in a free country. NO Pastor or leader should be able to tell someone they can't leave. We still have the freedom to come and go as we please. AFF members these people need encouragment not put down for asking for help on here. Most organizational leaders are good friends with fellow pastors, so you may have to go to another denomination so you won't be ostersized. I would leave - not run down the church or pastor and let God handle it. It may take a while but it will all come out in the wash. If you go to a small church, that pastor WILL be glad to have a faithful tithe paying member and will probably use you more than you can handle. I think you need a rest first. This is a stressful situtation. Just make sure you stay in church somewhere.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

It is time for you to move on.

Your ministry to your family is more important than your ministry to your church.

When you do move, do not expect to be held in the same place of esteem as you are now. Don't look for that. Embrace what is genuinely important and remain humble so the Lord will lift you up.