Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

Authenticity

I have pondering lately about how we struggle in Apostolic churches to be authentic. I know I have been guilty of putting on my "perfect" mask when I'm at church and acting like I have it all together...to only get home and struggle with pride, anger and many other issues.

Truth is, I don't know anyone that doesn't have struggles and sin in their life, yet we still feel the need to cover that up in God's house. Authenticity starts in the pulpit. We need leaders that will confess their sins to the church and help others realize that were not perfect, and the best of us make mistakes. The Pharisee's had this issue of believing they were perfect by obeying the laws. We can't allow ourselves to coast any longer pretending we have it all together.

Authenticity will be one of the biggest factors in reaching our world. People already label Christians as hypocrites and we usually earn thag title. People want to know that you can still follow Jesus and not be perfect and have it all together. Lord knows I'm far from it, so why should I pretend?

Wednesday morning thoughts....
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Re: Authenticity

Barry,

There is truth and wisdom in a Christian leader confessing his sin if and when that happens. And yet one of the qualifications of leadership is that they are living a blameless life.

1This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 1 Tim 3:1-2

So an Elder would be expected to be one found consistent in his devotion to Christ. So altho yes he should be an example to be one who admits his sin if that happens, the Lord Jesus Christ is expecting such a man to be an example to other believers how they are to walk free from sin.

So rather than taking the mindset that Christians MUST FALL and that they WILL commit sin on a regular basis we need to think like Apostle Paul instructed us.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Rom 6:1-2

The Christians mindset and faith should be that he is DEAD TO SIN! Then one will begin to get the victory over sin and not the other way around! Peace and love.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Barry,

There is truth and wisdom in a Christian leader confessing his sin if and when that happens. And yet one of the qualifications of leadership is that they are living a blameless life.

1This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 1 Tim 3:1-2

So an Elder would be expected to be one found consistent in his devotion to Christ. So altho yes he should be an example to be one who admits his sin if that happens, the Lord Jesus Christ is expecting such a man to be an example to other believers how they are to walk free from sin.

So rather than taking the mindset that Christians MUST FALL and that they WILL commit sin on a regular basis we need to think like Apostle Paul instructed us.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Rom 6:1-2

The Christians mindset and faith should be that he is DEAD TO SIN! Then one will begin to get the victory over sin and not the other way around! Peace and love.

Awesome post Michael, that is spot on....

Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Barry,

So doesn't this interpretation of scripture simply allows the mask to be worn by all-- from the leadership to the laymen?

When I left the Apostolic church, I found a church of Holy Spirit filled believers with whom I could be "AUTHENTIC" with-- Pastors and laymen alike.

The turning on of the lights on the sin in our lives encourages real repentance and real fellowship.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

Why do we need to turn the lights of sin on when we are free from sin, that is only for the ungodly. Not saints.

Romans 6..... What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

If you are "actively" sinning you are not a saint.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Why do we need to turn the lights of sin on when we are free from sin, that is only for the ungodly. Not saints.

Romans 6..... What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

If you are "actively" sinning you are not a saint.

If you say you have no sin, you deceive yourself.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Sometimes people sin.
Sometimes people do not speak to their spouses like they should.
Sometimes people experience road rage.
Sometimes people have evil thoughts.

Sometimes people are hypocrites.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

I remember when attending a certain UPC, every once in a while we would share testimonies in the service. Whenever I got the chance, I would thank God for His Grace and Mercy in my life.

I was 21, unmarried, and in the military-- I had no shame as I testified and thanked God for His Grace and Mercy in my life.

Then, I had an older person, not elderly, but a saint who I looked up to, that person spoke with me in private and said that I shouldn't always publicly thank God for His Grace and Mercy because it makes people think that you are sinning every day.

Then I said, but I do sin everyday. Even my thoughts are sinful sometimes.

Then that person says, God knows your heart and I understand what you are saying-- but others hear what you say and think that you are living in sin and not saved. You have to be wise and you can't share everything with every body. The Lord knows and I just want you to be aware of how some church folk are. Some folks are very judgmental.

I smiled and said ok, and didn't give it too much thought because I knew that if they knew what I knew about what I was going through on a daily basis, they would be thanking God for His Grace and Mercy too!

Even right now, I look back and wonder how on earth I ever got over!

HALLELUJAH JESUS!!!

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 07-23-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

In my experience, with the exception of major scandals, people who view the church as hypocritical or fake do so because of friends or family they know...not because of the Pastor. Again, there are exceptions, but every time a person has told me they don't go to church because of hypocrites, it's because of someone they know personally - friend or family member - who claim to be Godly, but don't live Godly.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Good conversation here. My point is this...the pastor of the church needs just as much mercy and grace as the non- believer walking into church for the first time and I think new believers need to know that. They need to know that the messenger delivering the message knows what it is like to have greed, anger and jealously in their hearts. Perhaps the problem may be that many Christians say they are dead to sin and never acknowledge it and that's why I still see greed, anger, and jealously in many Apostolic ministers. When sin is acknowledged, it can be dealt with.