Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
god's presence, grace, power, saving grace, what is grace

Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Re: What Is Grace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyronePalmer View Post
And what scriptures can I read that will prove what you have written? And where in scripture does it say unequivocally that grace IS unmerited favor?
Well, there are many. However, most would start here:
Ephesians 2:4-9 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Grace is the very means by which salvation is offered to any undeserving human being. It is important to note that while grace is a gift of God that isn't earned, nor can be earned, it is also the means by which we receive authority and power through the name of Jesus to overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil.

Meanings are expansive. And context determines what element of grace is in view.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:

Is grace really unmerited favor?

Let's look at what the scriptures tell us.

James 4:6 tells us:

"But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”

So we learn that humility is a prerequisite to receiving the grace of God, and grace is something that God gives, so what is grace?

The Greek word for grace used in the New Testament scriptures is 'Charis' which means:

1. Grace

...... A. That which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech

2. Good will, loving-kindness, favour

.. .. A. Of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues.

3. What is due to grace

.... A. The spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace

.... B. The token or proof of grace, benefit

.. .. .. ....I. A gift of grace

.. .. .. .. II. Benefit, bounty

4. Thanks, (for benefits, services, favours), recompense, reward

Strong’s Definitions

χάρις cháris, khar'-ece; from G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):—acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).

Grace is more of God's essence, His presence in the soul and upon the spirit of those who obey Him, follow Jesus and walk closely with Him. It's like the more you're with God, the more you grow in Him, the more you meditate on His word, the more you grow in grace and knowledge. The more you become like Him and God rubs off on you!

1st Corinthians 15:33

"Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”

The word tells us evil company corrupts good habits or good manners/character, so walking with God does the exact opposite. Being with Him and receiving His grace in our souls, changes our corrupt nature and bad characteristics into His divine nature and goodness, we become holy and righteous!

Jesus was full of grace and truth.

John 1:14

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

So grace is something you can be full of, and your heart can be established or built up with grace.

Hebrews 13:9

Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace,not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them.

Grace is much more than unmerited favor, grace is the power, presence, essence, substance, and divine influence of God that fills the heart, permeates our being, fills the atmosphere and emanates from our soul and spirit, spreading outward through the flesh, it affects those around us, and it saves those in Christ every day.

Even the words that come forth out of your mouth as you speak can be full of grace and wisdom.

Colossians 4:5-6

"Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one."

The true meaning of grace gives us a much deeper understanding of Ephesians 2:8-9

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."

In Jesus,
Tyrone
Perhaps we could say that "unmerited favor" is but one of the many "graces" God bestows on us?

He favored us with salvation, in providing pardon to us, and that certainly is unmerited. But grace encompasses much more than just His provision of salvation, as you showed.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 PM
OneLordOneFaithOneBaptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Well, there are many. However, most would start here:
Ephesians 2:4-9 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Grace is the very means by which salvation is offered to any undeserving human being. It is important to note that while grace is a gift of God that isn't earned, nor can be earned, it is also the means by which we receive authority and power through the name of Jesus to overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil.

Meanings are expansive. And context determines what element of grace is in view.
I appreciate your reply and your explanation of grace, but I wanted a deeper understanding of grace, which is why I wrote the short message. As I studied it out with the definition of the Greek word for grace, 'Charis' and the revelation I received from the Lord, it enlightened my mind and took me beyond the mere 'grace is unmerited favor' definition that many Christians believe. I wanted to know what Grace really IS. I think it's a bit harder to define what it actually is than let's say, love, peace, or joy, I think you can define those much easier than grace. At any rate I do believe I found the answer to my question!
Matthew 24:13-14 "But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Perhaps we could say that "unmerited favor" is but one of the many "graces" God bestows on us?

He favored us with salvation, in providing pardon to us, and that certainly is unmerited. But grace encompasses much more than just His provision of salvation, as you showed.
I do agree! And I truly wanted to know and understand what Grace really IS, like the Matrix, lol "Do you want to know WHAT IT IS?"

It is definitely much more than His provision of salvation!

Blessings!
Matthew 24:13-14 "But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."
Old 12-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I appreciate your reply and your explanation of grace, but I wanted a deeper understanding of grace, which is why I wrote the short message. As I studied it out with the definition of the Greek word for grace, 'Charis' and the revelation I received from the Lord, it enlightened my mind and took me beyond the mere 'grace is unmerited favor' definition that many Christians believe. I wanted to know what Grace really IS. I think it's a bit harder to define what it actually is than let's say, love, peace, or joy, I think you can define those much easier than grace. At any rate I do believe I found the answer to my question!

I was deeply moved when I began a study on Prevenient Grace and how they very grace of God is active in the life of the individual long before the actualization of their salvation.

Grace is a very hard concept to define. And while the realities of Grace are predicated upon unmerited favor, Grace itself is far more than just unmerited favor. I believe that there are multiple doctrines of Grace:
1. Corporate Election (God's choice to save whosoever will enter into the body of Christ)

2. Predestination (God's predetermined glory for the church)

3. Atonement (Christ's work of satisfying the Laws condemnation for His church)

4. Propitiation (Christ's satisfying God's wrath against sin for His church)

5. Prevenient Grace (the Holy Spirit's drawing of the lost to Christ Jesus through both an inner and an outer calling)

6. Conversion (repentance & water baptism)

7. Justification (imputed righteousness received by faith as part of Conversion)

8. Regeneration (being born of the Spirit as a result of the baptism of the Holy Spirit)

9. Adoption (membership in God's family through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit)

10. Sanctification (growing into Christ's likeness by taking part in the divine nature through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit)

11. Death (the cessation of physical life after which one enters the intermediate state wherein the soul is present with the Lord in Heaven awaiting resurrection & glorification)

12. Resurrection & Glorification (receiving a resurrected and glorified spiritual body fashioned perfectly after the image of Christ Glorified)
Grace is the foundation and the very basis upon which every one of these doctrines are established, provided, and experienced.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post

I was deeply moved when I began a study on Prevenient Grace and how they very grace of God is active in the life of the individual long before the actualization of their salvation.

Grace is a very hard concept to define. And while the realities of Grace are predicated upon unmerited favor, Grace itself is far more than just unmerited favor. I believe that there are multiple doctrines of Grace:
1. Corporate Election (God's choice to save whosoever will enter into the body of Christ)

2. Predestination (God's predetermined glory for the church)

3. Atonement (Christ's work of satisfying the Laws condemnation for His church)

4. Propitiation (Christ's satisfying God's wrath against sin for His church)

5. Prevenient Grace (the Holy Spirit's drawing of the lost to Christ Jesus through both an inner and an outer calling)

6. Conversion (repentance & water baptism)

7. Justification (imputed righteousness received by faith as part of Conversion)

8. Regeneration (being born of the Spirit as a result of the baptism of the Holy Spirit)

9. Adoption (membership in God's family through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit)

10. Sanctification (growing into Christ's likeness by taking part in the divine nature through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit)

11. Death (the cessation of physical life after which one enters the intermediate state wherein the soul is present with the Lord in Heaven awaiting resurrection & glorification)

12. Resurrection & Glorification (receiving a resurrected and glorified spiritual body fashioned perfectly after the image of Christ Glorified)
Grace is the foundation and the very basis upon which every one of these doctrines are established, provided, and experienced.
Amaaaaazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like meeeeee!

Indeed, there are many facets of God's grace, and by His grace "I am what I am"