Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Banned

Re: David Wilkerson heard from God....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Horrible comparison.

Why, because you disagree with the end results?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBukaroo View Post
Why, because you disagree with the end results?
No, because Wilkerson was not like Saul. If you looked at the video, you'll see God used Wilkerson more like a Samuel or Nathan to warn "Saul" Swaggart. Brother Wilkerson certainly was not rejected by God, as Saul was. Nor did his life end like Saul's did. Again, a very inaccurate and silly comparison.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, because Wilkerson was not like Saul. If you looked at the video, you'll see God used Wilkerson more like a Samuel or Nathan to warn "Saul" Swaggart. Brother Wilkerson certainly was not rejected by God, as Saul was. Nor did his life end like Saul's did. Again, a very inaccurate and silly comparison.
My discernment is on point. You are a compromiser of the Apostolic message and anyone else reading this post needs to be made aware of the spirit that is operating inside of you.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
My discernment is on point. You are a compromiser of the Apostolic message and anyone else reading this post needs to be made aware of the spirit that is operating inside of you.
Jesus rebuked his disciples when they wanted to call down fire from Heaven saying, "Ye know not what spirit ye are of". I think that same rebuke is in order for you. Discernment? You obviously need more, along with wisdom, and a course in hermeneutics. You falsely smear Wilkerson, comparing him to Saul, and I am the one needing discernment?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jesus rebuked his disciples when they wanted to call down fire from Heaven saying, "Ye know not what spirit ye are of". I think that same rebuke is in order for you. Discernment? You obviously need more, along with wisdom, and a course in hermeneutics. You falsely smear Wilkerson, comparing him to Saul, and I am the one needing discernment?
I never said you needed discernment. Obedience matters. Biblical patterns matter. Baptism in the Name of Jesus Christ matters. And reading is fundamental.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I never said you needed discernment.

No. You claimed YOU had discernment. Obviously you lack discernment when you falsely accuse someone of compromise.

Obedience matters. Biblical patterns matter. Baptism in the Name of Jesus Christ matters. And reading is fundamental.

You also lack reading skills, which are indeed fundamental. Number one. I affirm that baptism is for the remission of sins. Number two, I invoke the name of Jesus when I baptize, exclusively. Number three, I baptize in the name of Jesus. Number four, number two and three are not speaking of the same thing. Invoking the name Jesus by a baptizer is not the same as baptizing in the name of Jesus.

I asked you a question previously, and you did not answer it. Rather, you went on this illogical and un-needed tirade about nothing. I'll try again...Today I felt led to give someone 10 dollars. Did I commit this act of giving "in the name of Jesus"? Jesus said anyone who gives a prophet a cup of water "in his name" will not lose their reward. How would you do something like this "in his name"? Will it kill you to answer these simple questions? We're the "people of the name", right? So why not have a discussion about doing things in his name?

?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:25 AM
Loren Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I'm curious... is there Scripture for that idea?

I was once told that the sinner repents, the church baptizes, and the Lord gives the Holy Spirit. It is the sinner, the body, and the Lord all functioning as a whole to bring a soul to salvation.
There is as much scripture for that as their is your way. It is all in the way and perspective that you read scripture.

It is like the "flat earth belief" they say it is in scripture. Well it is in scripture if you read it that way. But that does not make the earth any more flat.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdrummer View Post
There is as much scripture for that as their is your way. It is all in the way and perspective that you read scripture.

It is like the "flat earth belief" they say it is in scripture. Well it is in scripture if you read it that way. But that does not make the earth any more flat.
I know that many believe that God forgives sins at water baptism. Many believe that the Holy Spirit gives regeneration at water baptism. Some believe that water baptism is just an ordinance publically declaring one's faith in Christ.

I'm not going to use this post to knock any of those positions. However, I will address something that I believe to be important, no matter what position one holds on the nature of water baptism.

Christ commanded the church to preach the Gospel, making disciples of all nations, beginning with water baptism. We see this in the following verses:
(Matthew 28:19 KJV)
(19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

(Mark 16:16-17 KJV)
(16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

(John 3:5 KJV)
(5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
We see the early church commanding water baptism, re-baptizing disciples of John the Baptist, and even Paul was water baptized:
(Acts 2:38-41 KJV)
(38) Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. (40) And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. (41) Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

(Acts 8:14-17 KJV)
(14) Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: (15) Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (16) (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) (17) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

(Acts 10:44-48 KJV)
(44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. (45) And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. (46) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, (47) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? (48) And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

(Acts 19:1-6 KJV)
(1) And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, (2) He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. (3) And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. (4) Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. (5) When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. (6) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

(Acts 22:16 KJV)
(16) And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
We also read of water baptism's importance in the Epistles:
(Romans 6:3-4 KJV)
(3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? (4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

(Galatians 3:27 KJV)
(27) For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

(Colossians 2:12 KJV)
(12) Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

(1 Peter 3:21 KJV)
(21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
I believe that at the very least, the one thing we can agree on is that water baptism is a command of Scripture. Jesus was water baptized and taught his disciples to water baptize. John the Baptist baptized and taught his disciples to baptize. And the early church water baptized new converts.

Water baptism is clearly commanded in Scripture and is a continuous Christian practice.

Churches that do not water baptize are not fulfilling their commission. Those who refuse to be baptized are clearly refusing a biblically commanded ordinance.

I think we can agree with the above, regardless as to what deeper meanings we might or might not attached to water baptism.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Sean? Is that you? We missed you! *IT BURNS! THE LIES! THEY BURRRN USSSSSS!*