Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Re: When You Got Saved in a Baptist Church ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Truth is, of course you could get saved in a Baptist church. The question is, can one grow spiritually as God would will us to grow in a Baptist church ? Can one continue in the apostolic truth, accomplishing the will of God in our lives ? Would the almighty DA still be more apostolic than we will ever be had he only graced the auditoriums of the traditional baptist church ?

As many have said, orgs dont save people, God saves people. But nobody can argue that orgs help guide and grow our walk with God.(some through positive experiences and some through negative ones) You can argue apostolic orgs trivial discrepencies. But every member here, no matter what org they are affiliated, are here for one reason. . . they believe the apostolic truth in doctrine. You won't find that in a "Baptist" church.
Agree.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Austin

I got saved in a Southern Baptist church. It was because the minister was preaching Jesus and him crucified just like Peter did. He then said a person must repent and surrender his life to Jesus Christ. I was a catholic boy I didn't really know this because when I went to church in the 50-60's they were holding mass in Latin. I didn't have a clue what the priest was saying.
After I got saved someone asked me if I had received the Holy Ghost. Of course I said yes. He then said did you speak in tongues. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I'm glad today that someone had enough courage to put that question to me first hand. it was later in my living room while praising God that the Holy Ghost fell on me and tongues began like water running down hill. I spoke in them for hours and didn't want to stop. it was one of the greatest experiences beside my spiritual conversion that I have ever had. Of course the Baptist pastor told me to stay away from the pentecostals because they were of the devil. I said to them " How can something that praises and glorifies Jesus more than what I see you doing, be of the devil?/
Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

I attend Sherwood Baptist Church (the church that makes the movies - Facing the Giants, Fireproof, etc.) a lot and I have never heard them ask any one to repeat after them nor I have I heard them say to shake the preachers hand to be saved.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

The teaching that a person is justified/saved/born again at faith and repentance prior to and separate from water and Spirit baptism was the standard Apostolic/Pentecostal teaching for years. The idea that water and Spirit baptism are the new birth was a later teaching but it has become quite prominent.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The teaching that a person is justified/saved/born again at faith and repentance prior to and separate from water and Spirit baptism was the standard Apostolic/Pentecostal teaching for years. The idea that water and Spirit baptism are the new birth was a later teaching but it has become quite prominent.

I know this is an old thread,but I am new here and this is extremely interesting to me. This is the way I believe, but I didn't know there were Apostolics that believe this. Isn't this belief rather anathema in the UPC? Are there Apostolic orgs that hold to this? I think the ACOPOC holds to this, but they also allow both oneness and trinity views.
I did not stay in the UPC because it just didn't jive with what God did in me. Never could accept the idea that one isn't saved until water baptism and they speak in tongues and that you are going to hell if you don't speak in tongues or aren't baptized. I got saved 2 years before Holy Ghost baptism, and my Baptism in the Holy Ghost was 4 years before water baptism. I mean when you really know Jesus and are on fire for Him and have the witness of the Spirit in your heart that you are a child of God and are born again, someone arguing that you are not just falls flat.

Last edited by Ichthus; 10-18-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthus View Post
I know this is an old thread,but I am new here and this is extremely interesting to me. This is the way I believe, but I didn't know there were Apostolics that believe this. Isn't this belief rather anathema in the UPC? Are there Apostolic orgs that hold to this? I think the ACOPOC holds to this, but they also allow both oneness and trinity views.
I did not stay in the UPC because it just didn't jive with what God did in me. Never could accept the idea that one isn't saved until water baptism and they speak in tongues and that you are going to hell if you don't speak in tongues or aren't baptized. I got saved 2 years before Holy Ghost baptism, and my Baptism in the Holy Ghost was 4 years before water baptism. I mean when you really know Jesus and are on fire for Him and have the witness of the Spirit in your heart that you are a child of God and are born again, someone arguing that you are not just falls flat.
When the UPC was formed in 1945, two organizations merged. One was the PCI (Pentecostal Church Inc) and the other was the PAJC (Pentecostal Assemblies of Jesus Christ). The PCI was chaired by Howard Goss who believed that a person was saved/born again at faith/repentance and that water baptism and Spirit baptism were experiences available to Christians after salvation. The PAJC was chaired by Bro. Witherspoon who believed that a person was not really saved or born again until completion of repentance, water baptism and Spirit baptism. No body really knows how many people believed the way Bro. Goss did or how many people believed the way Bro. Witherspoon did but I think we usually agree that the predominant view in the PAJC was the three-step view and the predominant view in the PCI was the one-step view.

Because of the differing views among the brethren, the fundamental doctrine statement was written ambiguously enough that those of both views could accept it and the merger went forward.

The first General Superintendent (Bro. Goss), first Foreign Missions director (Wynn Stairs), first Sunday School director (Bro. E.E. McNatt) and at least 2 of the district superintendents (Bro.Greer and Bro. Yadon) were one-steppers. The first issue of the Pentecostal Herald (the new magazine for the new organization) stated that articles would be accepted for publication with either view.

Over the years those who believed in the one-step plan of salvation have been demonized, ostracized, and squeezed out. We don't know how many ministers in the UPC still believe in the one-step view because they are afraid to be public about it.

I don't know of any organization that has the official one-step view.

I personally believe in the one-step view so I have no problem accepting people from other churches as brothers and sisters and believing as Bro. Goss (first UPC Gen. Supt.) that Baptists will be in the rapture. That's how I can be ordained in a oneness organization and attend a trinity church where I am also ordained.

Apostolic in doctrine
Charismatic in practice
Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

... That's how I can be ordained in a oneness organization and attend a trinity church where I am also ordained.

What orgs are you ordained with, if you care to share?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
When the UPC was formed in 1945, two organizations merged. One was the PCI (Pentecostal Church Inc) and the other was the PAJC (Pentecostal Assemblies of Jesus Christ). The PCI was chaired by Howard Goss who believed that a person was saved/born again at faith/repentance and that water baptism and Spirit baptism were experiences available to Christians after salvation. The PAJC was chaired by Bro. Witherspoon who believed that a person was not really saved or born again until completion of repentance, water baptism and Spirit baptism. No body really knows how many people believed the way Bro. Goss did or how many people believed the way Bro. Witherspoon did but I think we usually agree that the predominant view in the PAJC was the three-step view and the predominant view in the PCI was the one-step view.

Because of the differing views among the brethren, the fundamental doctrine statement was written ambiguously enough that those of both views could accept it and the merger went forward.

The first General Superintendent (Bro. Goss), first Foreign Missions director (Wynn Stairs), first Sunday School director (Bro. E.E. McNatt) and at least 2 of the district superintendents (Bro.Greer and Bro. Yadon) were one-steppers. The first issue of the Pentecostal Herald (the new magazine for the new organization) stated that articles would be accepted for publication with either view.

Over the years those who believed in the one-step plan of salvation have been demonized, ostracized, and squeezed out. We don't know how many ministers in the UPC still believe in the one-step view because they are afraid to be public about it.

I don't know of any organization that has the official one-step view.

I personally believe in the one-step view so I have no problem accepting people from other churches as brothers and sisters and believing as Bro. Goss (first UPC Gen. Supt.) that Baptists will be in the rapture. That's how I can be ordained in a oneness organization and attend a trinity church where I am also ordained.
Sam is the man!

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthus View Post
What orgs are you ordained with, if you care to share?
I am ordained in The Churches of Jesus Christ http://thecojcint.net/Home.php
and in my local church, The Hamilton Dream Center http://www.hamiltondreamcenter.org/

It is my understanding that an organization called Global Network is composed of both oneness and trinity ministers. I don't have a link for them but they are on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/90779958460/members/

Apostolic in doctrine
Charismatic in practice
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:

...It is my understanding that an organization called Global Network is composed of both oneness and trinity ministers. I don't have a link for them but they are on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/90779958460/members/
This is a link for Global Network
http://globalministriesonline.com/

Apostolic in doctrine
Charismatic in practice