Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Social drinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I understanding Jesus said "I" come eating and drinking. Where does that say he was "drinking wine specifically" is my point. You interject that based upon the accuser calling him a winebibber. It doesn't specifically says it was wine that he came drinking and if it was we don't know it had alcohol content.
Read the context

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Where are you getting your information? The refraining from cutting one's hair was for anyone. A person who had taken the Nazarite vow ended their time of consecration by shaving their head, among other things.

True, but why did Jesus refuse the wine on the cross?...was he masochistic(into the raw pain) as one has suggested, or did he partake in a vow against strong drink at some time?(as soon as he tasted it, he spit it out). It is written in the Bible for a reason you know....

Last edited by Sean; 08-27-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
True, but why did Jesus refuse the wine on the cross?...was he masochistic(into the raw pain) as one has suggested, or did he partake in a vow against strong drink at some time(as soon as he tasted it, he spit it out). It is written in the Bible for a reason you know....
Wine? It was vinegar and gall.

(gall: “gall” or bile, i. e. (by analogy) poison or an anodyne (wormwood, poppy, etc.):— gall.
AV (2)- gall 2; bile, gall in the OT used of other bitter things wormwood possibly myrrh)

That would be vinegar + a painkiller of some sort, most likely.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
In other words fresh squeezed grapes produce alcohol straight off the vine.? I don't know for fact what Jesus drank or didn't drank, but it is adding to the scripture to say that he drink alcoholic wine. You may speculate, but to say it for matter of fact is adding to what the Bible says. I have listened to uc's being called on adding to scripture to create doctrine, but some are adding to it now to advocate their own belief's also.

Why would they have to take the alcohol out when fresh juice never had it to start.
In other words fresh pressed grapes is not called wine

In other words fresh pressed grape juice was immediately bottled and became wine.

Itsadding to scriptures to say wine can refer to unfermented grape juice. Jesus drank wine.That is a scriptural fact and historical.

What do u guys believe people drank? Pepsi?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Vinegar refers to a type of wine.
E. Sour Wine Wine that has turned sour was called Vinegar. Vinegar was used for seasoning foods (Ruth 2:14) and pickling vegetables, as an inferior drink and as a medicine (Jn. 19:29f.). The “wine” mentioned in Ruth 2:14, RSV, is vinegar (Heb. ḥomeṣ; cf. ḥomeṣ yayin, Nu. 6:3 [RSV “vinegar made from wine”]; Gk. óxos, “vinegar,” Mt. 27:48; Mk. 15:36; Lk. 23:36; Jn. 19:29f.). Vinegar could be deliberately produced by encouraging extra fermentation of new wine in the open air. Or wine would simply turn into vinegar, since acetic bacteria in wine turn wine sour when it is exposed to the air for any great length of time. Because impermeable containers with tight stoppers were nonexistent, wine frequently turned sour. The Greeks first solved the problem by using large clay vessels called amphorae, sometimes lined with pitch and stoppered with wax, to store wine and keep its taste intact.

ISBE

Old 08-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
True, but why did Jesus refuse the wine on the cross?...was he masochistic(into the raw pain) as one has suggested, or did he partake in a vow against strong drink at some time?(as soon as he tasted it, he spit it out). It is written in the Bible for a reason you know....
It want just wine. The concoction was used to stupify people. Jesus must have wanted to have a clear head also his "job" was to suffer for us..

So it was not just wine. It was a concoction of wine and otherstuff

Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Fresh grape juice will ferment by itself in one to two weeks.There is natural yeast in the skins that break down the sugar in the juice creating alcohol.I havent looked up grape growing seasons in Mediterranean climates but unless they were pressing fresh grape juice weekly they would not have access to nonalcoholic grape juice year round.
That's right. Has anyone ever notice how grapes smell sometimes especially older ones?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Vinegar refers to a type of wine.
E. Sour Wine Wine that has turned sour was called Vinegar. Vinegar was used for seasoning foods (Ruth 2:14) and pickling vegetables, as an inferior drink and as a medicine (Jn. 19:29f.). The “wine” mentioned in Ruth 2:14, RSV, is vinegar (Heb. ḥomeṣ; cf. ḥomeṣ yayin, Nu. 6:3 [RSV “vinegar made from wine”]; Gk. óxos, “vinegar,” Mt. 27:48; Mk. 15:36; Lk. 23:36; Jn. 19:29f.). Vinegar could be deliberately produced by encouraging extra fermentation of new wine in the open air. Or wine would simply turn into vinegar, since acetic bacteria in wine turn wine sour when it is exposed to the air for any great length of time. Because impermeable containers with tight stoppers were nonexistent, wine frequently turned sour. The Greeks first solved the problem by using large clay vessels called amphorae, sometimes lined with pitch and stoppered with wax, to store wine and keep its taste intact.

ISBE
Oh, okay. I didn't know that. I always took it to mean plain old vinegar. Would this biblical era "vinegar" be different than, say, red wine vinegar that we use now? And what effect does "turning sour" have on the alcohol content?

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 08-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

(gall: “gall” or bile, i. e. (by analogy) poison or an anodyne (wormwood, poppy, etc.):— gall.
AV (2)- gall 2; bile, gall in the OT used of other bitter things wormwood possibly myrrh)

That would be vinegar + a painkiller of some sort, most likely.

John 19;28After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, "I am thirsty." 29A jar full of sour wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop and brought it up to His mouth. 30Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.

This passage calls it wine. It is a debate that many believe is wine he was given.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
It want just wine. The concoction was used to stupify people. Jesus must have wanted to have a clear head also his "job" was to suffer for us..

So it was not just wine. It was a concoction of wine and otherstuff

Brother, HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING TODAY! Cmon, fess up.

LOL