Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
My Family!

Re: UPCI charges 23% of missions giving

Bogus - http://theapostolicreport.wordpress....ions-division/

AR: What is the total percentage deducted from funds for world evangelism center and for FMD administrative cost?

FMD: The Foreign Missions Division deducts 10%. By action of the General Conference, monthly PIM support is subject to the World Evangelism Center (WEC) 4% deduction as well. The total deducted is 14% for administration costs.
AR: What funds are subject to these deductions?

FMD: The Foreign Missions 10% administrative deduction applies to all funds sent to headquarters with the exception of missionary love offerings, medical assistance, memorial funds, foreign travel for associated ministers, and offerings sent by a foreign donor, such as an overseas church.

The WEC 4% deduction applies to Monthly PIM support and does NOT apply to funds sent for missionary love offerings, medical assistance, overseas buildings, literature, Bibles, evangelism, memorial funds, missionary equipment and other special projects. Also, the WEC 4% does not apply to AIM support.

AR: How is the Foreign Missions administrative deduction used?

FMD: The Foreign Missions 10% administrative deduction is used to pay the division’s monthly operating expenses. This includes such expenses as staff payroll, telephone expense, printing costs, OnSite, Insight, and Focal Points printing and mailing costs, General Conference display, and missionary orientation costs.

It also covers the promotion of fundraising for the missionary family. The 10% administrative deduction is established by action of the General Conference, and Foreign Missions Division and is the only division restricted to a defined percentage of gross revenues to cover operating expenses.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
My Family!

We've had a couple threads on this already.

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ad.php?t=14025
Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Renda, you are GOOD! I knew there is a reason we keep you around here. LOL
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
The only thing that I think UPC has missed (and understand this is coming from a personal event)...........when a missionary is killed on the foreign field, there is really not much help for his widow and family. Eddie's mom gave up her comfortable life to work in Africa for years, assisting her husband. But when he was killed, there is no recourse financially for the family that is left. To me, there should be a big insurance policy paid for by HQ for all missionaries. Then in the unfortunate case of a sudden death of a missionary, the wife and kids wouldn't struggle to live.

Maybe this has changed since the 70's - I really hope so.
Sherri, I too hope that this has been rectified.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Stew, I'm with you on this one. I had two pastors who left us to go to the mission field under the UPCI. Two of the finest pastors anyone has ever had. I am convinced that God calls the BEST to go to the mission field because He knows what kind of a job they will do.

I am also convinced that while they live adequately, they do not live "high on the hog". And now that both of these men are officially retired, I would want nothing less for them than for them to be well taken care of by the organization that served so faithfully under for so many years.

As to the 23% figure, I was thinking about it and one thing that occured to me is that it probably costs MORE to provide for the retired missionaries who live in the USA now than it does to provide for the missionaries who live on foreign soil. Let's face it, the cost of living here can be very high. I realize that there are places in the world where this wouldn't be true. But over-all, I'm thinking it's probably cheaper to have a missionary in the field than it is to have them here in the US. But that doesn't mean we are any less obligated to take care of these fine people in their retirement years.

The other thing to consider is that missionaries who are on the field come home to deputize (raise funds) about every 4 years. Missionaries who are retired don't have to deputize any longer. Am I right about that? So their funds would have to come out of the ones raised by those still active in service.
Margie, I can tell you that a missionary family who goes to the field with the right motives and method makes sacrifices that most will never truly comprehend....especially missionaries who serve in tough countries.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Renda, you are GOOD! I knew there is a reason we keep you around here. LOL
LOL! Thanks, but it's not that hard. If you go to the bottom of this page the other thread is listed there.