Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

The dark night of the soul...

The reason for being in the garden of Gethsemane...to pray. The reason for prayer? Jesus knew what was about to take place in His life...

Amplified Bible-Mat. 26:37 And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to show grief and distress of mind and was deeply depressed. 
38 Then He said to them, My soul is very sad and deeply grieved, so that I am almost dying of sorrow. Stay here and keep awake and keep watch with Me.

He knew He had been betrayed and further betrayal was coming. He knew He would be abandoned by all His disciples. He knew that even Peter, His close friend and associate, would deny several times having ever known Him... 

Jesus wanted the company of the three, Peter, James, and John... His inner circle. He was reaching out to those most close to Him, but in the dark night of the soul Jesus taught us that there is only One who can give us what we need. No man, no woman, but only God. Not even those closest to us can give us what we need, but the LORD only.
The Lord Jesus knew and knows what men feel. He knows what discouragement feels like. He knows what depression feels like... Amplified Bible-Mat. 26:37 And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to show grief and distress of mind and was deeply depressed. 

Heb. 4: 14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,..Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess...15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin...16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. NIV
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. ESV

Jesus has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. The LORD exposed Himself to every unjust, unfair thing, all the hypocrisy the human mind could muster, yet He kept going because He kept praying.
Jesus, a man in perfect agreement with God, demonstrated the way, the truth, and the life God created mankind to live.
He kept going because He kept praying.

Luke 18:1 Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart... NASB

2 Cor. 4: 7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. 8 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. 11 For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 12 So death is at work in us, but life in you.
13 Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak, 14 knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence. 15 For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God. ESV

8 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair;

despair-ἐξαπορέω 1 to be utterly at loss, be utterly destitute of measures or resources, to renounce all hope, be in despair.

Don't be deceived by the enemy into thinking that you're the only one who is in danger of despair, that you're the only one who doubts or has fears. You are not alone!

You will have to face the dark night of the soul in such a way as Jesus did, without the aid of those closest to you, but you are never alone, despite how it may feel.

1 Cor. 10:13 There has no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above that you are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that you may be able to bear it. KJ2000
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: The dark night of the soul...

What an encouraging thought Bro. Phil! Indeed, our Lord is the only ONE who we should turn to and who we should expect help from in our hour of need. A wonderful, and timely reminder!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I found this to be very encouraging also. A lot of it I needed to hear. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoye_val69 View Post
I found this to be very encouraging also. A lot of it I needed to hear. Thank you for sharing.
The LORD laid it on my heart to post it. It may have been just for you. I hope those dealing with depression can find encouragement. God bless you.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

2 Cor. 4: 7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. 8 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair;

despair-ἐξαπορέω 1 to be utterly at loss, be utterly destitute of measures or resources

We are never destitute of measures or resources because we have the privilege of prayer and all the resources of Heaven behind us. Where there's life there's hope.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 PM

I was spending some time with the Lord tonight, and this song came to me, and I thought it fit well with your thought that you shared...

I must tell Jesus all of my trials,
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me,
He ever loves and cares for His own.

Refrain:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

I must tell Jesus all of my troubles,
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him He will deliver,
Make of my troubles quickly an end.

Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus:
He all my cares and sorrows will share.

What must I do when worldliness calls me?
What must I do when tempted to sin?
I must tell Jesus, and He will help me
Over the world the vict’ry to win.

The part of this song that stuck out to me the most - was the last line of the refrain which I bolded: I must tell Jesus, Jesus can help me, JESUS ALONE!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Stearns View Post
The LORD laid it on my heart to post it. It may have been just for you. I hope those dealing with depression can find encouragement. God bless you.
Oh I also hope that anyone dealing with any kind of depression finds encouragement also. I do not have any kind of clinical depression but have dealt with the feeling of depression on and off since I lost both of my parents (within 3 months of each other). It only proved to me that a person is never too old to feel like an orphan when that happens. It's been awhile but it still hurts. Also, my husband and I have been dealing with things lately that really are oppressing. The positive thing about it all is that it reminds me that we can do nothing without Jesus and it is Him that we depend on to get through it all. If it was not for my faith in God I know for sure I would not have the strength to deal with this or anything else. Thanks again for your post. I have read it several times now.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I was spending some time with the Lord tonight, and this song came to me, and I thought it fit well with your thought that you shared...

I must tell Jesus all of my trials,
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me,
He ever loves and cares for His own.

Refrain:
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

I must tell Jesus all of my troubles,
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him He will deliver,
Make of my troubles quickly an end.

Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus:
He all my cares and sorrows will share.

What must I do when worldliness calls me?
What must I do when tempted to sin?
I must tell Jesus, and He will help me
Over the world the vict’ry to win.

The part of this song that stuck out to me the most - was the last line of the refrain which I bolded: I must tell Jesus, Jesus can help me, JESUS ALONE!

Oh I love that... what is the name of that song and who sings it, if you do not mind my asking. I'm guessing "I Must Tell Jesus". LOL
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoye_val69 View Post
Oh I love that... what is the name of that song and who sings it, if you do not mind my asking. I'm guessing "I Must Tell Jesus". LOL
Yes, it is "I Must Tell Jesus". Here is a youtube video of the song:

Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

thank you for sharing phil and Kept!!!!!!!