Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Saved & Shaved

Re: The UPC is a dying movement!

I'm too old to apply. (27 in eight days, I like money and gift cards )AND, well, I have preterit undertones. And.... I wouldn't preach the clothesline....finally, I dun believe in magical hair.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreligious View Post
Can you imagine what a great forum this would be if every thread were centered around inspirations, creative ideas, and strategies about how to reach our neighbors, co-workers, and relatives? But I've seen mostly gossip, judgment, trinitarian-bashing, character destroying, reputation shredding, and personal insults.

If a thread were started titled, "My experience in reaching my neighbor", would anyone even look? I wonder.
Interesting. Why don't you try starting one? or two, or three?

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyn4 View Post
No applications from men under 45? Is this in LA district only or the entire national organization?

IF he is refering to LA disctrict then thats more believable but still very surprising.

IF he is speaking nationally, then the UPC does have a problem. You cant dance around that. If what Bro Haney says is true then whats going on at the Bible colleges? Why isnt the theology majors applying for their licenses? CLC and IBC should be good for at least 100 applications from men under 45 nationally every year!

He has to be referring to the LA district.
i know several young men going to UPC schools that will apply for license in other organizations.

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
God's Son

Nice try at spin.

How many harvesters does one need to harvest weeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Wheel View Post
First off, our esteemed leader was probably speaking evangelistically. I personally know many young ministers who have received a UPCI license in the past year.

Having said that, I am sure that the number coming in is not near enought to meet the demands of the harvest. I do find it a little ironic that the elders, who have long blamed "those meddling kids" for all that is wrong with the UPC are now lamenting their absence. The youth, who are blamed for much of the new (gasp) music, hairstyles, clothing, worship services, methods, and such, are now a precious commodity.

And yes, I believe that the UPCI is currently suffering a steep decline. There will always be a UPCI, but in a few years it will cease to be the vibrant leader of the apostolic world.

I kind of liken it to the break-up of "Ma Bell" into all the "Baby Bells". I think the same is currently happening in the UPCI.

By "Ma".

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I am a Cylon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Wheel View Post
And yes, I believe that the UPCI is currently suffering a steep decline. There will always be a UPCI, but in a few years it will cease to be the vibrant leader of the apostolic world.
i firmly believe that many forums like this has given many pentecostals/apostolics/charismatics the opportunity to express themselves and they have found out that many people in their own organizations have the same questions and issues that they themselves have had all along. Its like there is an awaking going on were people are realizing that they are not the only ones who see the contradictions. this "questioning" is getting more and more louder and visible.

Jesus ate Honey Nut Cheerios at the Last Supper.

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM

The Nattering Nabobs of Negativism ( as Spiro Agnew once said) have been predicting (with barely disguised glee) the soon demise of the UPC for years....and hoping desparately that it comes about. Why?...because it would justify thier own bitterness and the vitriol that oozes from them every time the subject comes up.

But for some reason in spite of thier predictions, the UPC just keeps truckin' and even getting bigger, dealing with challenges, and working them out.....struggling as is everyone with the economy and still sending Foriegn Missionaries, building Home Missions churches, and still licensing men (and a few ladies) both old and young.

AND still preaching Truth, and separation...which torques the NNON's (see 1st line of post) to no end......
Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Has anyone been to a Catholic service lately? Lots of blue haired ladies! The average age MUST be around 60. Predicting what this will look like in another 30-40 years is not hard. "Catholic" will soon be something people describe themselves in the same manner that they describe their origins -there will be very few practicing.
I did go to a noon mass at the Catholic Church on Capitol Hill, and it was packed with people in the 25-50 crowd. I have no idea what they look like outside of that one experience but it was far from being a few old ladies.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
I did go to a noon mass at the Catholic Church on Capitol Hill, and it was packed with people in the 25-50 crowd. I have no idea what they look like outside of that one experience but it was far from being a few old ladies.
I have been to many many Catholic churches and they have ALL been senior centers. They have also all been in Wisconsin. I know it is the prominent church on the East coast, so the age skew may be much younger there.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I have been to many many Catholic churches and they have ALL been senior centers. They have also all been in Wisconsin. I know it is the prominent church on the East coast, so the age skew may be much younger there.
Like I said my experience is limited, but it is surprising to see how many young people are involved in the Catholic Church in this area. I was involved in a trial where a young man was suing Planned Parenthood because he was assaulted by their security guard, everyone involved in his group were young Catholics. When I lived on the West Coast I literally NEVER met any Catholics that attended church regularly nor did they try to live out their faith.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreligious View Post
Can you imagine what a great forum this would be if every thread were centered around inspirations, creative ideas, and strategies about how to reach our neighbors, co-workers, and relatives? But I've seen mostly gossip, judgment, trinitarian-bashing, character destroying, reputation shredding, and personal insults.

If a thread were started titled, "My experience in reaching my neighbor", would anyone even look? I wonder.
Go for it! Start a thread about how you reached your neighbor. I'd like to read it.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear