Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Re: Vegitarian and/or Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coadie View Post
I can't think of inorganic food. Can you?
All humans and mammals are born NON vegetarian.
Lactose is a sugar that is found most notably in milk. We find lactose intolerance is rare if humans grow and ingest raw milk. Lactose sugar composed of glucose and galactose which has been shown to be hard to digest. Difficulty in digesting this is a consequence of a deficiency of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the sugar. Milk contains fat. Seventh Day adventists are often vegetarians. Having good fats in our diet is beneficial. Ruminants create their own fat which I won't go into. Mothers milk has the basic incredients of meat and then some.
I can't imagine why people would want to eat processed foods.

So Coadie is back? Oh boy.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee99 View Post

NOW, we have a lot in common. I love to hunt (and either I or someone who needs it more eats whatever meat is taken), but would seriously love to volunteer for Whale Wars - the whole whale thing makes me angry. I collect guns - but think the NRA goes way overboard and they make me uncomfortable with far too many of their things. Hate abortion and the death penalty makes me uncomfortable in so many cases. And on and on it goes.

The healthiest diet I've had in my life was the three years I lived in Africa. We ate a hearty breakfast with fresh squeezed juice from the trees in our garden, we ate a huge lunch, we had a tea break with food, and we had multiple course dinners with a "pudding" (dessert, but not always pudding) to follow. But, the only red meat we ate was wild game, which is lean. Our meat, which was at every meal, was most often chicken or seafood. Every veggie we ate was fresh (whatever we pulled from the garden or found at the local market) and did not come from a can. We ate homemade bread every day. We used cream and we used butter and we used sugar and we used wine. I came home 30 lbs lighter and my husband was almost 60 lbs. lighter. We felt great on that diet. Until the malaria and tick bite almost killed me, that was the healthiest I had ever been.

I'm convinced that it is the overly processed, overly preserved foods that we eat in America that is the killer. There is a lot to be said for fresh and for moderation.

Very interesting. I read the other day that in 1960, the average weight of the American male was 160. in 2010, 191. On the other hand, our life expectancy numbers are higher than ever, which of course, is somewhat attributable to medical advances. I wonder where all the unhealthy eating we do is going to get us eventually?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post
Very interesting. I read the other day that in 1960, the average weight of the American male was 160. in 2010, 191. On the other hand, our life expectancy numbers are higher than ever, which of course, is somewhat attributable to medical advances. I wonder where all the unhealthy eating we do is going to get us eventually?
The biggest reason for the increase in life expectancy is due to the decrease in infant mortality. Not necessarily that the old are becoming older.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
No. Good point. You're new here on AFF, aren't you?
Old 07-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
All humans and mammals are born NON vegetarian.
Lactose is a sugar that is found most notably in milk. We find lactose intolerance is rare if humans grow and ingest raw milk. Lactose sugar composed of glucose and galactose which has been shown to be hard to digest. Difficulty in digesting this is a consequence of a deficiency of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the sugar. Milk contains fat. Seventh Day adventists are often vegetarians. Having good fats in our diet is beneficial. Ruminants create their own fat which I won't go into. Mothers milk has the basic incredients of meat and then some.
I can't imagine why people would want to eat processed foods.
Actually I can. Food that have things added to them such as nitrates and hormones to name a few make something 'inorganic' or not organic. I know what you are trying to say, at least I hope so. I am a pretty healthy eater now. Rarely have fried food or high in sugar stuff however I do eat chocolate from time to time. I have lost almost 70 lbs over the past couple of years and have been able to keep it off mainly because of my diet. I just don't feel that I am getting everything out of my body the way I would like. I would love to push myself to be in shape to do a distance event like a marathon or triathlon. Basically it just boils down to making the quality of life better down the road, like an investment. If it doesn't benefit me I will quit it and go back.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
Since my family has a history of heart issues I think that it would be the best choice for me to make because not only could it prolong my life, but it also would make the quality of those years much, much better.
To me the quality of those years is not high if you are eating tofurky and not turkey or tofusteaks and not a bloody quivering steak...at least once a while.

Where is the quality of life if you can't enjoy it by living like a rabbit?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
The biggest reason for the increase in life expectancy is due to the decrease in infant mortality. Not necessarily that the old are becoming older.

Well, according to my greatly expansive knowledge of of the medical world (yes, it's sarcasm) that's not what I've heard. While it is a factor, significant advances in medicine is the number one factor from what I've heard. I did some intense research, otherwise know as "surfing the net" and found that in recent years, the life expectancy rate has increased while the infant death rate was also increasing.

The top reasons given for increase were advances in heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.

This info was from six or seven different sites but I forgot to link them and now I'm too lazy to go back a dig them all up again. However, if you don't trust my scientific research that's backed up by......uhhhh.....zero medical training, I'll be glad to go look it all up again.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
God's Son

I just heard a statistic the other day that people are living an average of 15 years past thier retirement. 20-30 years ago when someone retired, death occured within 4-6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
To me the quality of those years is not high if you are eating tofurky and not turkey or tofusteaks and not a bloody quivering steak...at least once a while.

Where is the quality of life if you can't enjoy it by living like a rabbit?
See you are equating quality of life with what you will be eating. I equate quality of life with whom I am spending it with and how we are spending it. Food, honestly, at best is fuel to keep us going. I don't think that God intended for food to be the most enjoyable part of the meal. IMO, fellowship with the friends and family is the key. Also I know people that say "I don't like X" when infact they have never tasted that thing they said they didn't like.

I have always heard the 'don't knock it until you try it' thing. I believe that in most cases. Sin not being one of them. But you never know if you would like tofurky or GlutenSteak unless you try it.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

I am a Meatatarian.
For those of you who may not know...vegetarian is an old Indian word. Translated it means, "Bad Hunter". You're welcome