Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Re: Parkersburg, WV

Standards don't split churches in this region. Money does.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Or should I say money and control splits churches here.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Keith and Shelly Mendenhall pastor there now. Here is a link to the church website;

http://wvclc.org/
I like what I read on their website.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I like what I read on their website.
Previously on their website you could not even tell it had any Apostolic affiliation. I do like, at least that their website now acknowledges Acts 2:38.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

I found nothing related to Acts 2:38 or anything truly Pentecostal except for a misquoted verse from 1 Corinthians.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM
God's Son

Timeline a little off. Pastor Bounds started his church before CLC left the upci. His new church building is a couple blocks up from my workplace. He was holding services in a hotel conference room at least a year before the church moved to its downtown location. Bounds was blessed to grow his church as a result of various church splits in the area. The upci was preparing for CLC since the turn of the century. There are six upci churches within a 30 drive of each other. Classic upci church growth 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclee4jc View Post
There are 3 UPC churches in the immediate Parkersburg area. Frank Bounds recently started one after CLC left the UPC. There is one PAW church. Bro Tisdale now pastors Spreading Truth, which is the ALJC campus formerly pastored by Bro Nelson. David Adams also pastors an independant church (very good man!). There is another church called Soul's Refuge that I believe has oneness persuasion. I will say that currently the UPC churches in the area seem to be fairly united and hold to a pretty moderate standard.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Hmmmm.....how long have you been around old time Pentecost? At least in the South it is very common to see two or three or even more Oneness Pentecostal churches in even teeny tiny towns. Usually some are splits off other churches and each one thinks they are the only ones in town with the correct "standards".
Around here, some churches split because they don't like what the pastor is doing. So a small crowd leaves, gets another building and elects a new pastor (usually one of them) and allows the new pastor to do the same thing they did not like their former pastor doing to begin with.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shephard View Post
Have you ever been to Kingsport, TN? There are a TON of Apostolic churches there. A TON.
Yes and a lot of "church hoppers". They used to fight on radio how to be baptized. One would say Lord Jesus Christ and another would say "Jesus Christ, and another just "Jesus". There are probably more Pentecostal
Apostolic churches there than there are Baptists.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 AM
God's Son

I knew the previous CLC pastor. He was my best friend's pastor. He took a church content in living in the past and made it relevant. I met the current pastor one in the local christian bookstore. Seems like a good guy.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

I recently counted 12 churches with Oneness persuasion in the parkersburg area. Pentocostals of Parkersburg (Bro Bounds), CLC, Life Church, Soul's Refuge, Dayspring Chistian Assembly (Bro David Adams), the PAW (not sure the name), Gateway Apostolic (Bro Dan Hopkins), Victory Apostolic in Davisville, Davisville Community Chapel (another ALJC), Bro Joy's Church (used to be People's Apostolic), Fort Boreman House of Prayer (Denzil Ray), Spreading Truth Ministries.