Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
You know as I watched the video I was scanning the faces of the people. When the white girl looked at the black guy as he took his part and went with it, I was thinking, "I wonder what situations they have endured? I wonder what tears have been shed at this altar for this group of people."

It was easy to look past a "shallow" song when I've had to fight to be faithful to God. When I thought I couldn't endure one more day. When I didn't know if coming out of a trial I could ever be happy again.

So I just say, "Let them sing!" It's not the only song these people know.

They know a lot more things that they learned on their knees.

Let them sing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
Exactly how I feel.

Honestly, I don't think it is hurting a thing for them to enjoy singing that song.

The Scripture says "speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs..."

There is no harm in occasionally singing to one another.

I agree that the majority of our singing ought not be that kind, but I doubt if the Lord is as picky or critical as some folks when it comes to praise.

Actually, the praise critics in the Scripture don't seem to fare too well.
I absolutely agree with it all and especially the bolded portion...
Old 06-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Sheltiedad

I find it interesting that our comments are considered critical and picky by some of the same people who believe we do not have any standards in our lives at all...

Maybe we just have standards on a different picky and critical level than others?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISTER Murphy View Post
The WAY Choir (Western Apostolic Youth Choir) was here in Portland, OR tonight, and they sang this song. I hadn't taken the time to watch the clip poster here from YouTube, so I only had folks comments about the song. I am certain that the fact that we are One God Jesus Name Apostolic in every way is completely doctrinal, and perfectly fine lyric material for a song. When those young people in that choir sang it, I loved it! And, oh, the powerful presence of God that was in that place from the outset of the service!!!! This song didn't seem to 'hinder' or 'hamper' or 'interfere' with the worship, at least, not that I noticed (it was just one more reason for the huge group of young people to have themselves a shoutin', dancing, running, rejoicing time.) Yes, we are apostolic, in every way!!!!!!
It is a very catchy tune and I don't think anyone had any doubt it would not get the UPC faithful revved up!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltiedad View Post
I find it interesting that our comments are considered critical and picky by some of the same people who believe we do not have any standards in our lives at all...

Maybe we just have standards on a different picky and critical level than others?
Preach that one, Brad!
Old 06-30-2007, 06:53 PM
My Family!

Moved all of Sis. Alvear's pictures to her new picture thread!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Sister Alvear

Thank you my friend...I may come through your city in July...pm me your phone number and we can chat...love you.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Thank you my friend...I may come through your city in July...pm me your phone number and we can chat...love you.
Whoohooo!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:56 PM
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
It is a very catchy tune and I don't think anyone had any doubt it would not get the UPC faithful revved up!
Not so much 'UPC' as those who love to identify with that definitive, One God, Jesus' Name, oldfashioned, tongue-talking, holy-roller Holy Ghost experience. I watched the clip from CLC last night after we got home, and the CLC rendition was just a tad slower tempo, and a bit more polished, than the youth choir that sang it last night, but it was waaaay more powerful to be there, in person, as those committed young people sang with everything in them. They started with the song, "Lord, You are Good and Your Mercy Endureth Forever," followed by "How Great is Our God". They sang a latin style song about how worthy Jesus is of our praise, a couple of slower tempo songs along the theme of trusting God, and by the time they were finished with the second song about trusting God, several of the choir members had slipped out of the choir and were down in the congregation, praying with and for other young people. Then, a brief intermission for the choir to have a quick break (and the pastor of the host church to take a good offering for them), and then they were back to sing "I'm a Pentecostal." It wasn't long before the altar area was one big shockamoo place. It was a completely awesome service (and I won't tell you that Bro. Murphy was out runnin' the aisles).
Old 06-30-2007, 10:00 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

Ooooh, they are singing Israel Houghton and Chris Tomlin songs in Oregon....REVIVAL!!!!!!!!!!! I have played a few times in Oregon waaaaay back in the day, I knoweth what I sayeth, hehe!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 PM
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Ooooh, they are singing Israel Houghton and Chris Tomlin songs in Oregon....REVIVAL!!!!!!!!!!! I have played a few times in Oregon waaaaay back in the day, I knoweth what I sayeth, hehe!
Dude, how far 'back in the day' did you find yourself in my beautiful state?

And yes, there is revival happening in this area. The people who came to the service last evening from at least a dozen different churches, some from a few hours away, came to simply worship God, in unity. I grew up here, and I remember the old days when some folks came to either be critical or to mock if it wasn't exactly how things were done 'in their church'. That was not the case last evening. It was a Sheaves for Christ/sectional youth rally, but the district youth president was sensitive enough to the Holy Ghost to not make the service into a big rah rah SFC promotion. He made a very brief mention of SFC, then prayed and asked God to have His way in the service, and then got out of the way. Too bad ya missed it, bro!