Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: Why shouldn't I vote for Obama??

forwarded with no comment
-----------------------------------
The Real Barack Obama

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:06 AM

By: Ronald Kessler

Michelle Obama’s comment that, for the first time in her adult life, she feels proud of America helps crystallize who Barack Obama is.

To be sure, the wife of a candidate is perfectly free to have views that are distinct from her husband’s. But on a matter that is so fundamental to one’s being as love of country, it is difficult to imagine that Michelle Obama would publicly twice make such a statement suggesting disdain for America unless she felt it comported with her husband’s views.

Equally important, her statement aligns perfectly with the hate-America views of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama’s minister, friend, and sounding board for more than two decades. On the Sunday following 9/11, Wright characterized the terrorist attacks as a consequence of violent American policies. Four years later, Wright suggested that the attacks were retribution for America’s racism.

“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01,” Wright wrote in his church magazine Trumpet. “White America and the Western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.”

Wright has been a key supporter of Louis Farrakhan, and in December, honored the Nation of Islam leader for lifetime achievement, saying he “truly epitomize[s] greatness.”

Farrakhan has repeatedly made hate-filled statements targeting Jews, whites, America, and homosexuals.

Those who think two of the closest people to Obama could publicly make anti-America statements unless Obama himself felt that way, are fooling themselves. To date, Obama has proven himself to be nothing more than a great orator, rendering the statements of those around him even more important in illuminating his true character and agenda. During his Senate career, he skipped 17 percent of the votes and sponsored only one bill that became law. That bill was to promote “relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo.”

Bereft of official accomplishments, Obama has distinguished himself mainly by being against measures that protect American security, such as finishing the mission in Iraq. If we were to leave Iraq quickly, as Obama vows he would do, it would become a launch pad for al-Qaida attacks on the U.S.

Obama avoided voting on extending the Protect America Act, thus putting America at risk when immediate interception of terrorist communications is required. Last August, Obama voted against a measure that would have allowed the U.S. to continue to monitor overseas conversations of terrorists like Osama bin Laden without first obtaining a warrant.

If his radical vote had prevailed, bin Laden would have been given the same rights as Americans.

To this day, Obama has not distanced himself from most of Rev. Wright’s comments. In a statement supposedly issued to address the matter, Obama ignored the point that his minister and friend had spoken adoringly of Farrakhan and that Wright’s church was behind the award to the Nation of Islam leader. Instead, as outlined in a Jan. 17 Newsmax article, he disingenuously claimed he thought the magazine bestowed the award on Farrakhan for his efforts to rehabilitate ex-prisoners.

Neither Wright’s encomiums about Farrakhan nor the Trumpet article mentions ex-prisoners.

Similarly, after John McCain’s wife Cindy responded to Michelle Obama’s remarks by telling a Wisconsin rally, “I have, and always will be, proud of my country,” Barack Obama told a radio interviewer that his wife did not say what people think she said. He then proceeded to rewrite her comments, claiming that she had meant she was encouraged by the “large numbers of people” who have gotten involved in the political process. Michelle Obama then made a similar revision of her remarks.

In her speech in Milwaukee, Michelle Obama said flatly, “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.”

And what has been wrong with America up to now? That it gave Michelle the opportunity to attend Princeton and Harvard Law School? That it gave Barack Obama the chance to attend Columbia University and Harvard Law School and become a U.S. senator making more than $1 million a year from book royalties?

Was it that America stopped Nazi Germany from continuing to murder millions of Jews? That America has provided Africa and other countries with $15 billion to combat the spread of AIDS/HIV and that another $30 billion is on the way? That 46 percent of all Americans classified by the Census Bureau as poor own their own homes, 76 percent of them have air conditioning, and 75 percent of them have at least one car? Or that America allows us to express our views freely without fear of being put in jail, as is the case in Russia?

A lawyer, Michelle Obama is perfectly capable of expressing herself precisely. In fact, she spoke from a written speech.

Those who do not want to believe she meant what she said — and that Barack Obama could not be so close to Rev. Wright if he did not himself believe in much of what he has said — are in denial.

The real Barack Obama is starting to emerge, and for those of us who are grateful to America for everything it represents, it is not a pretty sight.

Ronald Kessler is chief Washington correspondent of Newsmax.com.
© 2008 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Al Uh Bam Uh...Oh Bam Uh...

Maybe Alabama was named after a Muslim?
Now thats funny, I don't care who you are! LOL!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Sam,

Do you really believe what that article supposes about the Obama family?

I believe Michelle Obama was speaking in the superlative. Preachers and people of faith do it all the time. For example, Bro. Jerry Jones once preached a sermon that changed my life. In his sermon he opened by saying, "If you ever backslide, this will be the reason why." He then went on to preach a sermon, Wounds That Never Heal. He even admitted that the statement was in the superlative and that it is not meant to be taken as an exclusion of all other reasons, but rather a linguistic tool for emphasis.

Michelle Obama was only speaking in the superlative to emphasize how proud she is that in America a black man from a broken home may actually have a chance at becoming President. Regardless of our politics...we all should be proud of this moment too. Shame on NewsMax.

Geesh guys. Considering all the absolutely STUPID things President Bush says every day we'd offer a little leniency.

Of course most of the pundants of Right Wing Media hope that no one understands when one is speaking in the superlative, that way they can exaggerate a rebuttal.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Sam.

Wake up, people!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

somebody needs to tell someone that bush is not running again, sooner or later you can let it go, or maybe not, by the way he graduated from yale, al gore got kicked out, lol,dt
Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherHall View Post
Sam,

Do you really believe what that article supposes about the Obama family?
Yes, I certainly do.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Sister Alvear

and I do too...

For reasons that maybe I should not put on the net...however if he wins we will really see what he is...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Yes, I certainly do.
Pressing,

In all honesty, we can't always believe what's said by the media. They're ideologues. And the only one's really harping on her quote are the false prophets of talk radio and the extreme right wing media sources on the internet. Most understand what she meant.

Obama's wife just expressed her pride in our country in superlative. Let's see...what did Bush once say....

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." — President George Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Bush's remark can't even be viewed in the superlative. That means he's either an absolute knuckle-head or his remark was a Freudian slip.

(n) Freudian slip (a slip-up that (according to Sigmund Freud) results from the operation of unconscious wishes or conflicts and can reveal unconscious processes in normal healthy individuals)

Hmmm.... That's pretty telling. If you read transcripts of Bush's speeches you quickly begin to wonder.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Our current President is, uh, well, he IS our President. I shouldn't call him any names publicly...

I'm voting for Mr. Obama. He's the most liberal Senator in the U.S. Senate, which is bad in a way, but you know exactly what kind of fish he is. He's someone not intricately "connected" in Washington and he is honest about who he is and what he stands for. I understand Mrs. Obama's statement. McCain's attempt to portray himself as a "Conservative" is BLATANTLY dishonest and Hillary is more corrupt than my septic tank. At least Mr. Obama tells you through his speeches, his policy statements, and his voting record exactly what he will be like. He's about as transparent we can expect from any politician, definitely more so than McCain and Hillary.