Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
I doubt if this song bothers anybody as bad as it does the folks who really have a little bit of an inferiority complex about being, or having been, Pentecostal.
Ah, you got me. You know how conflicted I am about not being screamed at every Sunday and told how to dress and live down to the length of my sleeves!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
OP's are, apparently, never tired of traditions themselves! I am always amused at them attacking traditions when they are so mired in them.

I think people are tired of dead, dry churches where they don't feel the presence of God and that part of the lyrics is right on the money.
Definitely a feel good song ... some were dancing for a song that lifted up their heritage ....

I have to agree w/ CC1 ... the traditions line was amusing.

I also prefer songs that lift up Jesus.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Ah, you got me. You know how conflicted I am about not being screamed at every Sunday and told how to dress and live down to the length of my sleeves!
You are far from being one of the more stringent objectors.

Truth be told, I probably wouldn't list the song as one of my most favorites, but it didn't bother me any.

Using the rationale some used to object to it, some of the Psalms are pretty suspect too.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 AM
but made himself of no reputation

hey CC1,
your posting in this thread makes me unsure about a few things that I would ask you to consider replying to.

1. You directly link "OP" with your commentary. Are you now a believer in a triune or multi-part godhead? Do you still teach that the new birth is God's transformation for all believers? These seem to be the hallmarks of the "OP" reference. Are you distinguishing yourself from OP?

2. Are your comments somehow personally therapuetic? You seem to go on and on and on about the errors of people you have moved away from. What is your desired outcome or purpose in these posts?
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath [James 1:19]
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Ronzo

Quote:
I doubt if this song bothers anybody as bad as it does the folks who really have a little bit of an inferiority complex about being, or having been, Pentecostal.
Now THAT's funnier than what CC1 said earlier!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM
My Family!

Just a note:

I received the link for that song from my COG friend. Her brother is a COG minister and he sent it to her - said he loved it and was shouting all around his office when he listened to it.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfWord View Post
I totally understand where this song is coming from and the crowd that it plays to, and in that venue, to those people....it rocks!!

However, I honestly don't mean to be offensive, but since this is a place where we express our opinions....from my viewpoint, it smacks of pride and arrogance.

I'll now duck and take the shots as they come my way!
I agree with you...

I love worship... expressive... downright can shockamoo with the best, but feel too oft we drum up excitement with songs like this. True worship doesn't have to be drummed up with music... I prefer when it just rolls in like waves across a congregation praying and worshipping him.

I'm proud of my heritage too...but that song just unnerved me.. I found myself asking myself exactly what irritated me since I am Apostolic to the core. I guess it is just the pride in glorifying "us" and not "Him".
Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Now imagine this on TELEVISION during a live broadcast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Just a note:

I received the link for that song from my COG friend. Her brother is a COG minister and he sent it to her - said he loved it and was shouting all around his office when he listened to it.
Interesting . . .
Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Superheros are evil...

Quote:
You're wrong here, CS. I really don't like it and I'm UPC through and through. AND I have absolutely no inferiority complex.

Picture this, you walk into a Baptist church and they are all singing a "I'm a Baptist" song...

Many of us are just turned off by the all-about-me songs. Doctrines and behaviors and worship styles were never meant to be worshipped. Our focus should be and remain on He from whom those things originate.

Also, I think the "drinking" line can be greatly misinterpretted by the first time guest/sinner.

Having said that, my wife and I have had a fun time of making up more words to the song. The possibilities are endless...

No longer Pentecostal.... (for former OP's)

UNITED Pentecostal..... (this should be sung at GC )

I'm a Bapticostal.....(for someone here on this forum )

I'm a TBNer....

You can just imagine some of the lyrics that would follow...
For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another! (Gal 5:13-15/ NKJV)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbpew View Post
hey CC1,
your posting in this thread makes me unsure about a few things that I would ask you to consider replying to.

1. You directly link "OP" with your commentary. Are you now a believer in a triune or multi-part godhead? Do you still teach that the new birth is God's transformation for all believers? These seem to be the hallmarks of the "OP" reference. Are you distinguishing yourself from OP?

2. Are your comments somehow personally therapuetic? You seem to go on and on and on about the errors of people you have moved away from. What is your desired outcome or purpose in these posts?

tbpew,

I do consider myself Oneness Pentecostal although I prefer "Christian" to any other label.

My heritage is UPC so I used to just write UPC when referring to old time Oneness Pentecostals. However our forum is much broader in scope with AMFers, GIB, ALJC, etc all here so I tried to remember to start using "old time Oneness Pentecostals" when referencing the Oneness Pentecostal folks heavy into legalism and extra bibilical teachings.

Sometimes I leave off the "old time" part and shorten it to just "OP's" for Oneness Pentecostal's but typically I am speaking about the traditional legalistic ones.

I have no desired outcome of my posts other than to discuss things I believe in or feel strongly about. Where did the "therapeutic" thought come from?

I like to be a voice on the forum for any who might have been raised old time Pentecostal and like myself questioned many things in private but did not have an outlet to discuss them or see other points of view. In the UPC atmosphere I grew up in you did not question things or you were branded rebellious or worse.

My "desired outcome" here is no different than anybody else sharing their perspective and beliefs.