Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Re: Holiness, Standards and the bible

well i reckon if the lord hadnt convicted me of my pants and cutting my hair then i probably would be doing it today,but since he has, there must be a reason for it
Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by coadie View Post
Some would keep going to strip joints after "conversion"? They could calll it missional?
I think there's a huge difference between doing something as unto the Lord because He puts it on your heart and doing something because you're Pentecostal and the preacher says to, people will look at you funny, you'll get yelled at or kicked out, you can't be on the platform, people will think you're not saved if you don't, or because people will think you're more in tune with God the longer your sleeves/hem/hair is. The first is done in love and gratitude. The second is done in pride and for selfish reasons. The first is scriptural separation from the world due to the circumcision of our hearts. The second trusts only in flesh.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I find it funny that for a forum in which the majority of members do not believe in conservative holiness standards, that is the topic that receives so much attention. It's almost as if something is eating at you..
Personally if i quit believe in holiness...it would seem easier to just forget about it than to constantly fight it. Now, if I quit living in holiness but knew deep down that it was still what God had called me to...that would probably entail a daily fight to justify my actions and distance myself from what i was always being pulled back to.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I've always thought it was a double standard to declare "The Trinity is not in the bible" yet use the terms A"Holiness Standard", which is not found in the bible.

So, why is uncut hair a Holiness issue? The bible never mentions the word Holiness or Separation with regards to uncut hair on women.

Does the word holiness or separation from the world ever coincide with other "standard" related issues such as jewelry, facial hair, clothing or TV watching?
Holiness in the Bible and the holiness movement in America that has come to be known by standards in some circles are two different things. That doesn't make standards right or wrong, though.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithit166 View Post
well i reckon if the lord hadnt convicted me of my pants and cutting my hair then i probably would be doing it today,but since he has, there must be a reason for it
That is beside the point. The bible never stresses the idea that hair is a Holiness issue does it?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclee4jc View Post
I find it funny that for a forum in which the majority of members do not believe in conservative holiness standards, that is the topic that receives so much attention. It's almost as if something is eating at you..
Personally if i quit believe in holiness...it would seem easier to just forget about it than to constantly fight it. Now, if I quit living in holiness but knew deep down that it was still what God had called me to...that would probably entail a daily fight to justify my actions and distance myself from what i was always being pulled back to.
The topic is not whether or not those beliefs are correct but what they have to do with the idea of Holiness.

BTW I knew this would be the reaction. See, people that believe in standards typically say that people that don't believe their idea of these rules no longer believe in Holiness

But the question is where does the bible refer to some of these things as Holiness?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Go Dodgers!

It's funny how some can't see the difference here.

This thread is not about keeping standards or not keeping standards. This is not about rules or regulations you need to keep or otherwise you are not a christian.

This is purely about how or why they are said to be about Holiness.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

All that I have is separated unto the Lord. Thus it is all holiness unto his order and purpose.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The topic is not whether or not those beliefs are correct but what they have to do with the idea of Holiness.

BTW I knew this would be the reaction. See, people that believe in standards typically say that people that don't believe their idea of these rules no longer believe in Holiness

But the question is where does the bible refer to some of these things as Holiness?
Very good point. Usually it is people who never really thought this issue through and extrapolated back in their thoughts to ask themselves why dress codes ever got associated with holiness who immediately become defensive.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
That is beside the point. The bible never stresses the idea that hair is a Holiness issue does it?
Absolutely not.