Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Why Imply No Tongues = No Salvation?

Recently, I went back to visit my former Pastor's church for Wed night service. I loved being there and loved listening to his teaching. I felt at home, and there was no pressure from people asking a whole bunch of questions. It seemed like this was where I belonged.

I can explain away, look the other way, agree to disagree with most of my objections with the doctrines of the American 21st century Apostolic churches I've had the privilege of being a member of.

However, I am having a great deal of difficulty accepting that the Bible teaches that one MUST speak in tongues in order to be saved, or to show proof that one is saved.

I find this idea simply unbiblical. I am thinking about going back to visit this Sunday morning. Part of me thinks I am setting myself up for failure and pain again, as it was a personally agonizing decision to leave in the first place.

I miss my former Pastor and my former church.

But why should I even go back to visit when I already know the deal with these precious people and their doctrine?

This thread is pointless. Been down this road mentally how many times? But I sure do miss my former Pastor.

Why do Apostolics teach that a Christian must speak in tongues in the course of one's salvation?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Re: Why Imply No Tongues = No Salvation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Recently, I went back to visit my former Pastor's church for Wed night service. I loved being there and loved listening to his teaching. I felt at home, and there was no pressure from people asking a whole bunch of questions. It seemed like this was where I belonged.

I can explain away, look the other way, agree to disagree with most of my objections with the doctrines of the American 21st century Apostolic churches I've had the privilege of being a member of.

However, I am having a great deal of difficulty accepting that the Bible teaches that one MUST speak in tongues in order to be saved, or to show proof that one is saved.

I find this idea simply unbiblical. I am thinking about going back to visit this Sunday morning. Part of me thinks I am setting myself up for failure and pain again, as it was a personally agonizing decision to leave in the first place.

But why should I even go back to visit when I already know the deal with these precious people and their doctrine?

This thread is pointless. Been down this road mentally how many times? But I sure do miss my former Pastor.

Why do Apostolics teach that a Christian must speak in tongues in the course of one's salvation?
Ask your pastor...
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Speaking in tongues is evidence
of being baptized with the Holy Spirit.

I agree with you, it's not a requirement
for salvation.

I love (some) United Pentecostal Churches
and have good friends there.

Believe me, I know your situation.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post

The so-called, self-labeled 'Apostolics' teach that because they do not understand, or outright reject, the redemptive power of the blood of the Lamb of God. They cannot reconcile the teaching of tongues with the sufficiency of the blood of the Lamb.

I'm using the term "salvation" as I think 'Apostolics' would use it, i.e., that the individual would not go to hell but to heaven upon death. In reality, there is a difference between redemption and salvation. But that's for another thread.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 AM
On the road less traveled

I understand your dilemma too. If you can just attend the church, hear the word, and not desire to be a part of the "platform" standards, perhaps you would be fine there? If they are sweet kind loving people, perhaps if you stayed off the "platform" or any kind of ministry within the church, you would be okay? I don't know the answers for you, but I certainly understand the difficulty in this decision.

Perhaps you should visit with the pastor and just be forthright and honest with him about how you feel?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I understand your dilemma too. If you can just attend the church, hear the word, and not desire to be a part of the "platform" standards, perhaps you would be fine there? If they are sweet kind loving people, perhaps if you stayed off the "platform" or any kind of ministry within the church, you would be okay? I don't know the answers for you, but I certainly understand the difficulty in this decision.

Perhaps you should visit with the pastor and just be forthright and honest with him about how you feel?
That could be dangerous if he really wants to be accepted there. If he wants to go and be a part, he might be best to keep his thoughts to himself.....

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 AM
On the road less traveled

Yep. Really a tough thing, no matter what.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

We are connected with three UPC Churches,
two of these we still attend, not often because
of very long distance, but we go there
as much as we can.

The third one we gave up on for good.
We were told, in no uncertain terms,
we are not saved.

We are baptized with the Holy Spirit,
we speak in tongues.....

But hey....we NEED to believe as THEY do,
and confirm it's a condition for salvation.
Sad story, but true.

Apparently what Christ did on the Cross
is not enough.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 PM
God's Son

The Bible mentions something about a dog going back to it's puke. It's not worth going back. Instead of crawling back to them. Let them come to you.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 12-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Even Charismatics and Trinity Pentecostals teach that tongues is the initial evidence of the Holy Spirit baptism. Apostolics are actually being consistent because scripture teaches if any man have not the Spirit of Christ he is none of his.

I would not want to take the risk of not having a Biblical New Testament experience.