Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Re: The King James Version Defended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I already quoted some considerations of the Textus Receptus from the critics who would prefer the ESV. They simply disdain the TR.

Anyway, I have the same book of Bernard's. It is good. The one after which the thread is named is the best I found yet, IMO.
I don't think they disdain the TR, I think that after dilligent study they just don't trust it... and I don't either. Insertions such as I John 5:7 have derailed many from entering Apostolic truth. Again, many of these humanist scholars are being more honest with the text than the religionist scholars. I think it's because they don't have a serious theological bone to pick. Most religious scholars and translators that asail the TR are fundamentaly Trinitarian and defend it largely on the basis that older texts that modern versions are based on weaken Trinitarian Christology. If the King James Bible disappeared tomorrow, a serious blow will have been delivered to Trinitarianism. You'll notice that even Charismatic churches that have moved to using modern versions based on these same texts have moved from being fundamentally Trinitarian to more of a Modalist position.

Last edited by Aquila; 08-19-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

You should see eyes light up when we're having a home Bible study and we read I John 5:7 or someone has a question about it and I point out the margins of our newer translations that indicate that said verse wasn't in any text prior to the 15th century. Their eyes just light up with a realization that Trinitarianism is indeed an error perpetuated in the more traditional text of the KJV.

Please note, I love the KJV, I have one in my desk right now as I type. I think it's the most beautiful and poetic version. However, I don't put it on a pedestal and I definately don't put it in reverence beside God himself.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

I agree the KJV or ANY bible is not an idol we worship. It has the message that refers us to the God Whom we worship alone.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."