Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
faith, mustard seed

Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Faith as a grain of mustard seed

So, I was discussing this with my pastor a while back, and I've really been thinking about this lately. We all know that Jesus spoke of faith as a grain of mustard seed, which could move mountains.

Matthew 17:20
Quote:
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Luke 17:6
Quote:
And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
For years, we've always heard it said that this means even a tiny bit of faith can move mountains. There's even a song we sing about it:
Quote:
Faith, faith, faith, just a little bit of faith
You don't need a lot, just use what you've got
However, some time ago, God planted a tiny seed of thought (no pun intended) in my mind, that perhaps this verse isn't saying what we've all been taught it to mean.

We know that a mustard seed is a tiny grain, but it grows into a massive tree.

What if Jesus wasn't saying we only need a small amount of faith, what if Jesus was saying that we need faith which is capable of growing. Not only growing, but growing to vast proportions over where it began. Starting small, but vastly increasing until it literally dwarfs where we started.

We don't need a "little bit of faith" to move mountains, we need faith which can grow and expand, as God reveals Himself more and more to us.

Thoughts?
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Faith as a grain of mustard seed

Good point.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 04-26-2020, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Yes I have taught about this many times.... God never said that the “ tiny “ faith would move the mountain but his point was if you have that faith and let it grow than nothing will be impossible. God never meant for us to stay with a little seed size of faith just like he never intended us to stay on milk but to grow to be able to eat meat...
Old 04-26-2020, 10:32 PM
On the road less traveled

Very good thought!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:38 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Yes I have taught about this many times.... God never said that the “ tiny “ faith would move the mountain but his point was if you have that faith and let it grow than nothing will be impossible. God never meant for us to stay with a little seed size of faith just like he never intended us to stay on milk but to grow to be able to eat meat...
I've heard pastors in the past mention about how the mustard seed grows into a large tree, but I've never heard one preach a message in the same vein as the thought I posted above. I'm glad to know someone has, though.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Ive heard preachers compare faith to a muscle. You work it out like you would a muscle and it grows over time. You start out with small every-day things, for instance, trusting God for a parking space etc. As your faith grows, you can handle bigger issues. Many people want to see cancers healed but freak out over the tiny every-day things. If you cant have faith for the small things, don't expect to be a faith-warrior in the bigger things. So, in this way, it would be similar to the analogy of the mustard seed growing over time and developing from a tiny seed into a monstrous tree.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:02 PM
Banned

Well said my friend.