Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Sister Alvear

Re: Why not join the AMF?

I deeply love Jesus and I do not know how He wore his hair...They plcked his beard...He must have worn a robe and sandels...He talked and taught to women and children something no religious teacher would have done in that day...
He did not wear expensive clothes, went to no Bible college, had no place to lay his head YET HE WAS A MAN SENT FROM GOD...SO THE WRITER SAID...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Sister Alvear

I deeply love Jesus and I do not know how He wore his hair...They plcked his beard...He must have worn a robe and sandels...He talked and taught to women and children something no religious teacher would have done in that day...
He did not wear expensive clothes, went to no Bible college, had no place to lay his head YET HE WAS A MAN SENT FROM GOD...SO THE WRITER SAID...

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept5SavedTeen View Post
I have a question, that has probably already been posed, but I'll ask it anyways. When the AMF broke from the UPC in the 1960's, they thought the UPC was getting too liberal, so they formed a more conservative fellowship of ministers, which, some would say, then turned into an organization. Many conservative brethren stayed in the UPC, and although the loosening of standards bothered them, they stayed until the tv advertisement resolution came about in 2007, at which point, they believed the UPC had gone too far, and so they wished to break from the UPC to form a more conservative group of ministers, known as the Worldwide Pentecostal Fellowship. Now, it would make no sense for all the AMF ministers to become WPF ministers and the AMF be done away with, because their (AMF) group has been around for the past fourty years, has publications, churches (owned by the ministers of course, but still), conferences, ect... My question, is since this second wave of conservative break away's came about in 2007, why didn't they just join the AMF and streghthen an EXISTING conservative fellowship/organization, rather than form their own organization?

GOD BLESS!
Bro. Alex
First off the AMF never split from the UPC. The AMF was a fellowship of "men" from different organizations. There was NEVER to be an organization with them. That changed in either the last 60's or very early 70's and they 'organized'. I know that many my father used to fellowship with he stopped because they would NOT leave the organization they were in and go with the AMF. That was when things went down hill. (not sure why I did not think of this back when this started)

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.

Last edited by jaxfam6; 08-23-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

With great hesitancy, i wade into the troubled waters of this discussion. I was around when the AMF first came into being. BA Spells, Houston Jarrell, Bind Duke, Roy Lawrence and others, left the UPC because of a disagreement on tithing. I saw some of the venom from both sides but mostly from the disgruntled who chose to leave the UPC. I saw the in-fighting, disloyalty, gossiping etc that was NOT Christ-like on both sides. It started with a simple disagreement over money! Sadly, friendships were lost and generally, goodwill abandoned. It grieved me as a young man and aspiring preacher. It still grieves me that they could not get beyond themselves and see the mercy and grace of God as the paramount attribute to seek. I do not understand a lot of the things that happen yet today. I have remained and I am ordained with the UPCI. I KNOW for a fact that an AMF pastor has allowed some he trusts to have a computer but not the rest of the church. A woman who was caught in adultery was told to leave the church but the tithe paying man was allowed to stay. But I cannot judge the others by the act of this one pastor. Jesus, I believe, would have shown mercy. Sis Alvear, as for the hair question, I believe Jesus hair was like most other Jewish men and Bible does says it was like "lambs wool" indicating it was curcly and tight! God bless each of you!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Are you talking about the Wilhoites from Maine or the other Wilhoites?

I do not think of Brother Spell as a typical AMF person...

Please understand my thinking about the AMF goes back to the late 60īs...when you heard all those anti upc sermons...I am not UPC but am not anti UPC or anti any Jesus name sincere folks...
I am anti a spirit of fighting and tearing down to try to build something else...
I am not against leaving any organization we all must follow the call of God in our life. What may be good for one may not work for another.

I know many Jesus Name groups in Brazil from far right to far left...

I am against pastorīs brainwashing people into thinking they are the only saved church in town...Why am I against this practice? Because people that for some reason leave these churches backslide because they think they are lost anyway if they go somewhere else...

There are missionaries that teach that here in Brazil...I do not believe that...If someone wants to leave my church and go to the UPC or some other JN group they have my blessings...If I cannot help them be saved I want someone else to help them.

Pease understand my thoughts are not about any one person my thoughts are in general...

Souls are very precious to the Lord and if we humans are not careful we had rather destroy someone than see them be saved somewhere else...

I know there are exceptions to the rule...there are some people that will be trouble where ever they go...THEY are the problem...we have had some like that too! But there are others that I felt would do better somewhere else and released them ( if that word can be used) to go somewhere else...

I deeply love our people but I had far rather a person leave or work and go to another JN church than go to the world...

I have heard people say if you go to .......... you are committing spiritual adultery...I donīt like phases that scares people...If I have to scare someone to be with us then I am a poor leader...and usually a deceitful one.
Please note I am NOT calling any certain person deceitful...only the Tactic used to scare people.
I really love you for the wisdom you display in this post.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Sister Alvear

I woke up weeping this morning telling God how I loved him and how I want to be saved...I hope to never tarnish my ministry with politics....too much of that going on....

Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Just another plug for Jackie Wilhoite (note: Jackie is man's name)

and family. If you ever get up in that region... Great folks.

They were upc missionaries to Wales at one time.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Sister Alvear

Yes, they are wonderful people.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfam6 View Post
First off the AMF never split from the UPC. The AMF was a fellowship of "men" from different organizations. There was NEVER to be an organization with them. That changed in either the last 60's or very early 70's and they 'organized'. I know that many my father used to fellowship with he stopped because they would NOT leave the organization they were in and go with the AMF. That was when things went down hill. (not sure why I did not think of this back when this started)
I think most AMF elders would concede that it was primarily a split from the UPC.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Are you talking about the Wilhoites from Maine or the other Wilhoites?

I do not think of Brother Spell as a typical AMF person...

Please understand my thinking about the AMF goes back to the late 60´s...when you heard all those anti upc sermons...I am not UPC but am not anti UPC or anti any Jesus name sincere folks...
I am anti a spirit of fighting and tearing down to try to build something else...
I am not against leaving any organization we all must follow the call of God in our life. What may be good for one may not work for another.

I know many Jesus Name groups in Brazil from far right to far left...

I am against pastor´s brainwashing people into thinking they are the only saved church in town...Why am I against this practice? Because people that for some reason leave these churches backslide because they think they are lost anyway if they go somewhere else...

There are missionaries that teach that here in Brazil...I do not believe that...If someone wants to leave my church and go to the UPC or some other JN group they have my blessings...If I cannot help them be saved I want someone else to help them.

Pease understand my thoughts are not about any one person my thoughts are in general...

Souls are very precious to the Lord and if we humans are not careful we had rather destroy someone than see them be saved somewhere else...

I know there are exceptions to the rule...there are some people that will be trouble where ever they go...THEY are the problem...we have had some like that too! But there are others that I felt would do better somewhere else and released them ( if that word can be used) to go somewhere else...

I deeply love our people but I had far rather a person leave or work and go to another JN church than go to the world...

I have heard people say if you go to .......... you are committing spiritual adultery...I don´t like phases that scares people...If I have to scare someone to be with us then I am a poor leader...and usually a deceitful one.
Please note I am NOT calling any certain person deceitful...only the Tactic used to scare people.
Seen that in person. Was in one of those churches I bolded a few times. UPCI organization was of the devil, the one across town was to loose, etc. Wanted to date a girl in this guys church, but I would have been forced to attend there and I refused to sit under such thinking and preaching. I met my wife soon after, so obviously it wasn't of God to go there anyway.

Sis. Alvear, what is it about Mississippi that this attitude is so prevalent? The fact most churches split off of another instead of being grown from the ground up? If Mississippi ever got over some of their issues with one another (Indy vs Org.) a sovereign move of God would break out. You talk about politics, in Laurel, MS there is a church of about 35 where the pastor says if you go to any other church for any reason you are dis-fellowshipped. Wow.