Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-15-2022, 08:45 AM

How to reach a Mormon

Has anybody on here ever reached a Mormon?
If so, how did you do it?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 09-15-2022, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Re: How to reach a Mormon

I've had a few encounters with Mormons.

Several years ago, a few friends and I were hanging out together in the local park. While sitting there, we noticed some young ladies walking the track around the playground equipment. They looked like holiness girls by the way they were dressed, so when they got close to us, one of us asked what church they went to. (You know, because Apostolic people are known by what church they attend and call home.) They readily told us they were Mormon, and within minutes, they were witnessing to us.

These young ladies were fervent in their beliefs. That had charts drawn about how there was no eternal damnation (or hell) and that everyone was going to Heaven. I asked them a few questions about what they believed about the scriptures in the Bible that spoke of hell, and one of them said, "It's funny how the Bible contradicts itself."

We had a cordial conversation, but neither side was budging on what they believed. They handed us a Mormon pamphlet and eventually went about their business.

Later on, I worked with a Chilean lady who was Mormon. They were "modern" Mormons; they dressed like anyone else, and did pretty much anything they pleased, except drink "strong drinks" like alcohol or sodas. When I first started working with her, we held a conversation in our break room and she was quite interested in Oneness and why we lived and dressed as we do as holiness people. There were other times where doors would open and I'd sneak in some doctrine or tell her about the goodness of God, and she was, at least, semi-receptive.

It all stopped when one of her kids came out as gay. The Mormon church they attended came against them hard, labeled the child a sinner, and they left the church. I thought and prayed that maybe this would give me an opportunity to reach out to her once more. But, instead, it caused her, her husband, and children to reject God entirely. I no longer work with this lady, but the last I heard, she and her family were self-proclaiming atheists and they haven't any interest in church whatsoever.

So, to be on topic with this thread's discussion, I've never "won" a Mormon to the Lord. I've witnessed to a few and tried to so them some of the Apostolic doctrine, but they usually turn a deaf ear.

My advice would be to pray for the people caught up in the Mormon doctrine and ask the Lord to give you the words and wisdom to speak to them and pull them out of their false religion.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:31 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

People usually aren't Mormons because of the doctrine. So trying a doctrinal approach is unlikely to yield positive results. It may plant a seed that may produce fruit down the line. But generally people are Mormons because of family and social reasons, like JWs and catholics. The doctrine is mostly secondary.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-16-2022, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

I can see that, but the Mormons I've come across and know personally are Mormon because they believe what their doctrine teaches.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:19 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
I can see that, but the Mormons I've come across and know personally are Mormon because they believe what their doctrine teaches.
I didn't say they don't believe their own doctrine. And yes they are taught to debate it. But there's other more powerful issues at work than just doctrine. Many will stay with the group even after losing belief in the core doctrines. To leave, they have to be convinced that membership in the group is worse than leaving. It's not just a theological issue, there's a lot more involved.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-16-2022, 05:09 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Mormons act as a tight knit family, they take care of each other. I worked with a lady who joined them because they provided for her when she was in need. They earned her trust and loyalty.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I can only offer my experience with the LDS followers.

I live in Utah and operate (church) in two different cities in Utah. One of the cities I operate in is named after one of the major pillars in the LDS movement.

I was not born and raised in this state, so I familiar with other states and different religions in those states and how they operate. In my experience the LDS religion is unlike something I ever came in contact with. Now, with that said I've had many LDS families walk in the doors, some with an immediate need, and others simply out of curiosity.

I had a family we were working with tell me, that "Non-Utah LDS" members are different that "Utah LDS" members. That's something you need to keep in mind. Utah is their Zion so the stronghold is different here, then let's say in Nebraska. In my experience you better have a firm belief is the spiritual, because they do, even though its satanic, LDS love witchcraft.

A church just south of me, won a member of the LDS faith, and it was through Spiritual authority. It was understanding how to pray for the individual/s, it was having the word of wisdom and knowledge when the time came, it was discerning the spirits that the family has entertained for years. For a member to leave the church, they have to expect to come under major scrutiny, they may be cut off from family forever. If you win an LDS member you have to understand the battle that will follow and be prepared to help that individual. I have a couple kids in our Sunday school class, their Mother left the LDS church 20 years ago, and hasn't seen her parents since then. And they live 10 miles away!

Even though "Jesus Christ" is mentioned in their belief, it's really the church of Joseph Smith. That's not a joke, that is as real as the sun. I would implore you to pray for understanding and spiritual insight to help any individual/s coming from the LDS faith.

Last edited by Nicodemus1968; 09-16-2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:21 PM

Mercy.
No easy task.
Thank u all for your input.

I had somewhat of a theological discussion with the guy. I asked quite a few questions, and he gave answers. ‘‘Twas my first dealings w a LDS. (He was working with me for a few days).
In the end, he offered to set me up w someone that he said could better explain their theology.
I let it go at that.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 09-19-2022, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I didn't say they don't believe their own doctrine. And yes they are taught to debate it. But there's other more powerful issues at work than just doctrine. Many will stay with the group even after losing belief in the core doctrines. To leave, they have to be convinced that membership in the group is worse than leaving. It's not just a theological issue, there's a lot more involved.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:02 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
For a member to leave the church, they have to expect to come under major scrutiny, they may be cut off from family forever.
Reminds me of a situation many years ago, where a guy from school was invited to join us at church. He was a faithful Catholic, and went to mass regularly with his mother, but he enjoyed spending time with us. He went to several services, and even went with us to family camp one year.

At one point he came close to getting the Holy Ghost, all while still attending Catholic services. At some point he was informed that if he continued to attend services with us, he would not only be excommunicated, but would be cut off from his only living family, his mother. Sadly, but not unsurprisingly, he chose to abandon going with us and went back to being a good Catholic. I pray that some seed of faith was planted in his heart, but I don't know where he is these days (I think I last heard he moved to Commiefornia).
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.