Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Re: "The RIDICULOUS Emphasis" on Bible Study - Art

""I bring all this up to make one simple point: The modern-day church places a ridiculous amount of emphasis on Bible study."""

I dont believe any such thing exist.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
""I bring all this up to make one simple point: The modern-day church places a ridiculous amount of emphasis on Bible study."""

I dont believe any such thing exist.
You dont believe Bible study exists? Or are you saying that such a state of thinking there is too much Bible study is false?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 07-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
You dont believe Bible study exists? Or are you saying that such a state of thinking there is too much Bible study is false?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
For the life of me I can't see any harm in studying the Bible. We believe it's the inspired word of God. I may have met many people that were too earthly minded to be any heavenly good but I have yet to meet anyone that was too heavenly minded to be any earthly good. How can we hide His word in our heart if we dont ingest it.
I can't answer for A1ness but I believe he meant that churches being Bible studying militants doesn't exist. On a large scale anyway.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

That article shows a tremendous ignorance of history.

How can you make a disciple of Jesus if you don't know the teaching of Jesus?
The only thing I agree with is that they didn't have the full Bible as we know it, but they did have the Gospels (in paper or by memory) and some Epistles.

We call it today Bible Studies + Phone Calls + Hanging Out, we try to emulate the discipleship practice of the first-century in this individualistic culture we have nowadays.

It is not the first time I see people coming to the wrong conclusion because they underestimate the oral transmission and memorization capability of the ancient societies. Even papyrus and writings in general, and their reading, were used as a tool to memorize, not as the way we use books nowadays. Any form of writings were expensive and didn't last long because of so much use and just the climate. Memorizing and oral transmission was the affordable way to go.

Last edited by coksiw; 07-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

It's called propaganda, designed to discourage Bible study in place of "social justice" (well-documented code word for communist subversion).

The problem isn't too much Bible study. The problem is not enough people actually doing what they "studied".

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf