Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Did Harry Morse teach the "social purity" doctrine ? Is that why he and Maude had no children ? What else did he believe ? What did he not believe ?

Did he never change his beliefs ? People have a habit of changing their mind about doctrine. How do I track what he believed and how long did he believe it ? Did he always follow the social purity doctrine ?

Morse has a missions report in the 1946 edition of the Pentecostal Herald. Why did he not stay in the UPC ??

He was in the PAW, then the Pentecostal Missionary Alliance. That group became the PCI. He was the foreign missions director in 1938 (PCI) Then he was in the UPC at the merger. What was he in after that ? His obit states he was a member of the International Ministers Association. What is that ?

Morse was at Azuza Street, Arroyo Seco and was a lifelong Pentecostal. Why is there no biography of him anywhere ?

What am I missing ?
Several taught social or virgin purity during those times. William Sowders of the school of prophets group taught that in order to reach perfection.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Early in his church plant in Oakland, Morse became friends with a former minister of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Could Morse's belief in the Sabbath have grown out of that relationship ?

Aimee McPherson had a large crusade in Oakland 6 years after Morse moved to Oakland. Morse used McPherson's songbook in his church. Her revelation of the fourfold came during the Oakland crusade, an aspect that Morse promoted in the future.

How do I determine the theological influences that others had on him ? It is easy to make comparisons, but how do I verify my conclusions ?

A persons theological views change over time. How do I track what a person believed ?? How do I document those changes ?

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 06-22-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Early in his church plant in Oakland, Morse became friends with a former minister of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Could Morse's belief in the Sabbath have grown out of that relationship ?

Aimee McPherson had a large crusade in Oakland 6 years after Morse moved to Oakland. Morse used McPherson's songbook in his church. Her revelation of the fourfold came during the Oakland crusade, an aspect that Morse promoted in the future.

How do I determine the theological influences that others had on him ? It is easy to make comparisons, but how do I verify my conclusions ?

A persons theological views change over time. How do I track what a person believed ?? How do I document those changes ?
Thank you Scott for doing all this digging, I love Pentecostal history.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

There are lots of dead ends. But a few leads are promising. I might, might mind you, get my hands on a notebook from a student who trained under Harry Morse.

I biography of Harry Morse was published in 1946. I'm not sure what is in it or how brief it is.

I may end up travelling to Oakland before this is over.

Back to work in the morning. Harry Morse will have to wait !!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for these postings.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Thanks so much for these postings.
I could not agree more!

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

The history is interesting.

Quote:

This is difficult since he is deceased. If there are relatives still alive that knew of this, that would be a good source.

Other ways would be to find any writings, recorded sermons (that may be hard as he passed in 1963) & eye witnesses. My guess is there may not be much around.

You may be able to find info by contacting the historical department of the UPC. Also, believe it or not, the AOG collects UPC related documents. Check their website and see. They will make copies for a fee. You can also visit their historical center and see in person anything they have.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

https://ifphc.org/index.cfm? That is the AOG site.

Also try http://www.apostolicarchives.com/page/page/5834251.htm & http://sps-usa.org/

Search here for anymore articles by him- http://www.1stapostolic.org/oldpublications.html Lots of old publications there.

He was not listed in the 1952 UPC Directory.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I have contacted a friend in Oregon his grandfather pastored Ewart's church in LA asking if he knew any history from his grandfather?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Sometimes you just have to piece together what information you are able to gather. First hand sources are always the best but as time goes on and people pass, that becomes harder and harder.

Just consider between when Thomas Fudge interviewed people for his first book and then his second that came this year - he states at least 53 people have died that he interviewed, and the interviews started in 1999.