Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Church Membership

Does your church have members?
How does one become a member?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: Church Membership

On March 28, 1955 I invited Jesus Christ to come into my life.
He did and changed me.
I became a new creature in Christ.

I started going to a Baptist Church.

A couple of months later I wanted to be baptized by immersion.

There were 4 of us who wanted to be baptized.
We had to go to a Wednesday midweek service, stand and give our testimony, and be willing to respond to any questions anyone might want to ask.
After we each gave our testimony, the pastor asked if anyone wanted to ask any of us questions.
A deacon stood up and said something like, "I think their lives are testimony to their salvation," and the congregation was given the chance to vote as to whether we should be baptized and accepted for membership. We were all voted in. I don't remember signing any paper or anything like that. All 4 of us were teenagers.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

I go to a church called The Hamilton Dream Center.
We do not have members.
We are all given the opportunity to sign a partnership agreement which reads as follows:

PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT

Covenant partnership is a relationship –-a bond—between two people or parties much like a business relationship. These parties, sharing a common goal or objective, join forces and resources in order to reach their common goal.

In the same way, the Partners of Hamilton Dream Center and its Ministry Team have a common goal: to reach the inner city of Hamilton and give hope to person(s) that are less fortunate. Our message is clear “Jesus is the answer”. And by standing together in faith and prayer, we can reach our part of the world with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Reaching this world is serious business, so the relationship between the Covenant Partners and the Ministry Team of Hamilton Dream Center is also serious and life changing. It is a bond established by God to fulfill His purposes –-not the Pastor or any of the Ministry Team—but His. It is a way of joining hands and joining forces to do more than we could ever do alone to bring the message of faith and hope to the Body of Christ.

Joining together, each of us brings resources and a supply of God’s anointing into this relationship (Ephesians 4:16) as we continue to successfully proclaim that “Jesus is Lord” from the blocks surrounding Hamilton Dream Center and throughout the community.

The Ministry Team of Hamilton Dream Center is committed to fulfilling these goals and dreams as led by the Holy Spirit. It is our desire to be in-line with His desires.
God’s Word tells us that partnership in ministry is the most powerful relationship on the face of the earth. It is a covenant relationship based on the blood of Jesus. It is a relationship of the highest honor. Consequently, it is a relationship of the highest commitment.

I, ________________________________________, dated___________________________, by signing and dating this agreement pledge to be a partner with Hamilton Dream Center. I will actively participate in one or more ministries within the church. I will strive to be led by the Holy Spirit in carrying out all facets of my partnership to the glory and honor of Jesus, my King and Savior.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

From 1992 until 2006 I went to a Vineyard Church here in the Cincinnati area. We did not have membership. I was active on prayer teams and was a POC (Pastor on Call) for 5 years. They have since instituted something called a Shareholder Covenant which would be equivalent to membership. A copy of that agreement is included as an attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ShareholderCovenant.pdf (32.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

This is a neat idea. I empahsizes the responsiblities of calling oneself a part of a particular church
Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
paladin for truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Does your church have members?
How does one become a member?

Currently, I am involved almost exclusively in intimate fellowship. I study with friends on a weekly/biweekly basis, and attend corporate gatherings when I get in the mood. I must say, "cancelling" my membership to the "institution" has accelerated my learning and knowledge of God and His Word. I've honestly grown more in the last 6 months without membership, than in the 14 years I had it.

Anybody is welcome to join my study group.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

There was a church that I was visiting and praying about becoming a part of that congregation, but that didn't happen. A cousin of mine decided to become a member there and after wards he told me that he had to complete a survey with over 100 questions called "Spiritual Gifts". The test was to help the church decifer what 'spiritual' gifts people had and they would be used in that capacity. I looked at it and one of the 'spiritual gifts' was celibacy . After you complete this test it will be placed in your file. I found that to be weird. I did't like the manner in which the Pastor was harassing my husband and I about 'taking the hand of fellowship'. He put us on the spot one Sunday while we were walking out the door. My husband didn't appreciate that and neither did I. The whole thing was weird.

Have any of you ever heard of taking a 'spiritual gifts' test? At this point we do not attend anywhere and just worship in our home.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I would love to take, or at least see, that test!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
mary

I've heard of spiritual gifts assessments, but the ones I've seen stuck to the basic gifts like word of knowledge, word of faith, etc... one went into administration and leadership and such... but never celibacy. And they never went in anyone's "file." Nothing but giving statements went into most files I ever knew.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
mary

Randy, try
http://archive.elca.org/evangelizing...iritgifts.html
http://mintools.com/spiritual-gifts-test.htm
http://www.kodachrome.org/spiritgift/

Google it, you'll come up with a ton of them!