Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Don't ask.

Are Christians better?

First, I want to state that many of the Christians I know are wonderful people. They are kind, generous, honest (mostly ), reliable, etc. Some aren't so wonderful. I can say the same for my unbelieving acquaintances. So now, I'm wondering: are Christians in general better than non-Christians? Is a random person on the street more likely to be "good" if you discover that he or she is a believer?

There is some flexibility in the question, of course. We should define "better" and "good" and "Christian", first of all. Well, how about if I leave that up to you, the participants in the discussion?

So, what say you?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM
My Family!

image-1231368151.jpg

I like this answer!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Re: Are Christians better?

I say that a huge part of the problem is defining Christian. I have known people who use the term to promote businesses... Some less than honest businesses... It seems that the term encourages people to relax and makes it easier to stick it to 'em. Think 'Christian Yellow Pages' and that big fish on a plumber or AC repairman's trucks.

However if a person is truly indwelt by the spirit of God and is being changed to His likeness... things should be better depending on where they are in the process.

Still over all if the question is about moral character and...

If the choices are:

1. Better
2. Worse
3. No difference

Sadly, my choice is 3.

Last edited by Titus2woman; 10-10-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Attachment 3916

I like this answer!
Me too... now if I could just find more people who live it
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Timmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy. If you would listen to Ravi Zacharias' christian apologetics (free podcasts available on itunes, along with podcasts by william lane craig) you would know that while atheists, agnostics and nonbelievers may be ethical and good people, there is no rationale for their good behavior because evil actions of murder and hatred are equally valid in that worldview. why should an atheist be ethical, there is no reasonable impulse as to why he can't be evil. Only a theistic worldview gives you reasons to be ethical, because there is a moral law giver who will judge.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

I've been hurt by both Christian and non Christian alike. It was more disappointing to be hurt by Christians than by the non Christians because I held this misnomer that they knew better.

Now I just place my trust in Christ and the Word of God. Sometimes we just got to grow up and become accountable for our own actions. We must learn to make decisions on what Christ taught us, not man. I have both Christian and non Christian friends who love me and who I think are wonderful people.

I agree that there is not much difference in moral character. That is sad because Christ expects his followers to rock the world...and they did...for a time.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady? View Post
I've been hurt by both Christian and non Christian alike. It was more disappointing to be hurt by Christians than by the non Christians because I held this misnomer that they knew better.

Now I just place my trust in Christ and the Word of God. Sometimes we just got to grow up and become accountable for our own actions. We must learn to make decisions on what Christ taught us, not man. I have both Christian and non Christian friends who love me and who I think are wonderful people.

I agree that there is not much difference in moral character. That is sad because Christ expects his followers to rock the world...and they did...for a time.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
First, I want to state that many of the Christians I know are wonderful people. They are kind, generous, honest (mostly ), reliable, etc. Some aren't so wonderful. I can say the same for my unbelieving acquaintances. So now, I'm wondering: are Christians in general better than non-Christians? Is a random person on the street more likely to be "good" if you discover that he or she is a believer?

There is some flexibility in the question, of course. We should define "better" and "good" and "Christian", first of all. Well, how about if I leave that up to you, the participants in the discussion?

So, what say you?
Personally, I don't think Christians are "better" than anyone for the most part. There are some behaviors Christians shy away from or try to avoid for spiritual growth.

However, a Christian whose faith is rooted in a Spirit Filled experience with the God of the Bible does tend to be more "spiritual" than the average person, in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Don't ask.

Thanks for the posts.

More, please.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
On the road less traveled

I've learned not to believe anyone when they say they are a "Christian" so readily as I have in the past. Now, whenever I meet someone and immediately they tell me they are "Christian" my guard goes up, and I wonder how they are going to try to defraud me. Because that has been my experience so far. Every person who immediately tries to get you to believe they are a Christian have an ulterior motive.

So Timmy, as to your original question, are Christians better than the average Joe on the street... I would have to say no. Many are following a belief system of works that doesn't change their hearts. Sadly. You have to look deeper than just for someone who attends church, pays tithes, and calls themselves Christian. I would say .... look at the fruit, before you believe that they are truly a Christ-follower.

So now, I don't take people at face value. Just telling me that you are a "Christian" is not enough. I don't care if you tell me you are a one God, apostolic, tongue-talking, holy roller, born again believer ..... yada yada...

I look for your fruit. Christ told his disciples, "By your love one for another shall all men know ye are my disciples" John 13:35

That is the fruit I look for. How do you treat your fellow man? What fruits of the spirit are you exhibiting? How do you treat those who have treated you wrongly?

Just looking for an outward appearance, or a mouthful of "christian talk" doesn't do a thing for me... anymore.

I've found true believers in the most unusual places too. You just never can judge a "book by its cover."