Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
upci

Old 04-07-2015, 04:36 AM
Registered Member

Re: When was the first North American Youth Congre

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Better than the nothing it used to be.
True.
Also, many districts also have local youth outreaches occurring throughout the year.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Sorry. I would have assumed that 20,000 Holy Ghost filled believers meeting in one place would completely set the area on fire....I guess I'm wrong.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry72 View Post
Sorry. I would have assumed that 20,000 Holy Ghost filled believers meeting in one place would completely set the area on fire....I guess I'm wrong.
I get the feeling that nothing would ever make you happy about it.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Because we should always tear down instead of build up. What? a service project... why can't 20,000 plus people all attend... I can agree we should hope more people show up but that doesn't detract from the service project itself.

Rejoice in the good. Rejoice in how good God is not how evil the world us. Rejoice in the good people are doing not the lack of works of others.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
By the way if your assumption above were true then every year for many decades a lot of places would have been completely set on fire since GC used to draw around that many people.

Carrying out the great commission is not handing out some kind of magic potion that is going to spread just by proximity. Or thousands of people having a street service or handing out tracts in one evening. It is a sustained effort primarily consisting of us living our lives in a manner that people see Christ in us and we share, one on one, our faith over time.

I am not saying there is not a place for a large outreach event during a meeting like the Youth Congress but I do think it is unrealistic to think there is going to be some sort of massive instant conversion in the community. I do know some Pentecostal folks who sincerely believe that if a community sees a few thousand women with long uncut hair piled on top of their head wearing dresses, high heels and no makeup they will see God in that and have a burning desire for whatever those people have. Much like the desire I have to own a horse when I see an Amish family in their horse drawn carriage going down the road I guess.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Haha. If I said the same thing about the Baptist church or non denominational church you all would be in full support. The first step in correcting something is to admit that something is wrong. "We" don't do that too well around the UPCI.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Young Theologian

Quote:
Haha. If I said the same thing about the Baptist church or non denominational church you all would be in full support. The first step in correcting something is to admit that something is wrong. "We" don't do that too well around the UPCI.
Honestly I think outreach is one of those "too much of a good thing can be bad" things. A lot of people feel like you're trying to shove religion down their throats. Not that I don't like outreach. I just feel like people get annoyed to easily. But I totally agree with you. We're too hesitant to mention the elephant in the room when it's us who put it there.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

You are right. Outreach done correctly is as simple as paying for someone's meal...buying a pair of shoes for someone, even something as helping someone unload groceries. When we go door knocking, that can often be perceived as shoving something down their throat. Try mowing their lawn and they will be asking you why you did it....perfect opportunity to witness.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
You are right. Outreach done correctly is as simple as paying for someone's meal...buying a pair of shoes for someone, even something as helping someone unload groceries. When we go door knocking, that can often be perceived as shoving something down their throat. Try mowing their lawn and they will be asking you why you did it....perfect opportunity to witness.
Now why in the world didn't Jesus, the apostles, and the prophets figure that out? Man we'd smart!

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 04-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

This attitude is taken directly from Jesus and the apostles.