Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-03-2022, 08:20 AM
Scott Pitta's Avatar
Scott Pitta Scott Pitta is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wisconsin Dells
Posts: 2,941
Re: Need help with a question...

1952 UPC ministerial directory list of women ministers in California:

Allred, Geraldine R., Napa, Ca.
Dashley, Irene, H. Los Angeles, Ca.
David, Clarise, Napa, Ca.
Davis, Mary, E. Modesto, Ca.
Emory, Maxine, Fresno, Ca.
Fields, Ruth, Beale, Ca.
Fry, Bertha, Selma, Ca.
Goodenough, Grace, M. Modesto, Ca.
Gray, Emile B San Diego, Ca.
Haney, Faith O. Stockton, Ca.
Harvey, Audrey M. Long Beach, Ca.
Haws, Marie, E. Dinuba, Ca.
Hayden, Helen L Visalia, Ca.
Hayslip, Marie O North Hollywood, Ca.
Hudson, Rose, P. Oakland, Ca.
Jensen, Bessie M, Pretoria, South Africa
Jensen, Mary E Dearborn, Mi
Klein, Melissa Livingston, Ca.
Libby, Fannie, Covelo, Ca.
Lytle, Christena, P. Williams, Ca.
Malone, Mattie, Eva Modesto, Ca. (6/1/1932 - 3/14/52)
Mathews, Fannie B Riverside, Ca.
Merrill, Ruby L. Fresno, Ca.
Moss, Hilary Reseda, Ca.
Olson, Louise M. Oakland, Ca.
Shank, Dorothy, E. Brawley, Ca.
Smith, Lora Irene, Fairfield, Ca.
Swank, Evalena F. Dinuba, Ca.
Van Eaton, Ruth M. Ontario, Ca.
Wilson, Stella P. San Francisco, Ca.

A total of 15% of the licensed ministers in California (UPC) were women.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-05-2022, 09:13 PM
Barb Barb is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,601
Re: Need help with a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
1952 UPC ministerial directory list of women ministers in California:

Allred, Geraldine R., Napa, Ca.
Dashley, Irene, H. Los Angeles, Ca.
David, Clarise, Napa, Ca.
Davis, Mary, E. Modesto, Ca.
Emory, Maxine, Fresno, Ca.
Fields, Ruth, Beale, Ca.
Fry, Bertha, Selma, Ca.
Goodenough, Grace, M. Modesto, Ca.
Gray, Emile B San Diego, Ca.
Haney, Faith O. Stockton, Ca.
Harvey, Audrey M. Long Beach, Ca.
Haws, Marie, E. Dinuba, Ca.
Hayden, Helen L Visalia, Ca.
Hayslip, Marie O North Hollywood, Ca.
Hudson, Rose, P. Oakland, Ca.
Jensen, Bessie M, Pretoria, South Africa
Jensen, Mary E Dearborn, Mi
Klein, Melissa Livingston, Ca.
Libby, Fannie, Covelo, Ca.
Lytle, Christena, P. Williams, Ca.
Malone, Mattie, Eva Modesto, Ca. (6/1/1932 - 3/14/52)
Mathews, Fannie B Riverside, Ca.
Merrill, Ruby L. Fresno, Ca.
Moss, Hilary Reseda, Ca.
Olson, Louise M. Oakland, Ca.
Shank, Dorothy, E. Brawley, Ca.
Smith, Lora Irene, Fairfield, Ca.
Swank, Evalena F. Dinuba, Ca.
Van Eaton, Ruth M. Ontario, Ca.
Wilson, Stella P. San Francisco, Ca.

A total of 15% of the licensed ministers in California (UPC) were women.
Thank you SO much for taking the time to share this history with me...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-06-2022, 04:44 AM
Scott Pitta's Avatar
Scott Pitta Scott Pitta is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wisconsin Dells
Posts: 2,941
Re: Need help with a question...

Not a problem. There were more. But determining who was Oneness and who was not is a bit of a hat trick. Ministers associated with the Apostolic Faith Mission at Azusa Street were often women. So were Pentecostals who previously had been mission workers for Volunteers of America, Salvation Army and from the Peniel Mission.

It was socially acceptable in California for women to have a greater role in society than simply being mothers. There were also no Jim Crow laws preventing black women, such as Emma Cotton to found and pastor Pentecostal churches.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-27-2023, 10:30 PM
Barb Barb is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,601
Re: Need help with a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Not a problem. There were more. But determining who was Oneness and who was not is a bit of a hat trick. Ministers associated with the Apostolic Faith Mission at Azusa Street were often women. So were Pentecostals who previously had been mission workers for Volunteers of America, Salvation Army and from the Peniel Mission.

It was socially acceptable in California for women to have a greater role in society than simply being mothers. There were also no Jim Crow laws preventing black women, such as Emma Cotton to found and pastor Pentecostal churches.
I recently read of Elder Lucy Smith, who was the founding pastor pf All Nations Pentecostal Church in Chicago. I am trying to find if she was Oneness...

Any light you or Mother Alvear could shed would be helpful...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-28-2023, 08:14 AM
diakonos's Avatar
diakonos diakonos is offline
New User


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northwest Zion
Posts: 3,111
Re: Need help with a question...

https://www.chipublib.org/fa-lucy-sm...lier-papers-2/
__________________
“Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos.”
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-28-2023, 12:09 PM
Barb Barb is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,601
Re: Need help with a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Thank you, but this doesn't tell me if she was Oneness in doctrine; only Pentecostal in experience.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-02-2023, 01:52 PM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Unvaxxed Pureblood too


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 39,208
Re: Need help with a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I recently read of Elder Lucy Smith, who was the founding pastor pf All Nations Pentecostal Church in Chicago. I am trying to find if she was Oneness...

Any light you or Mother Alvear could shed would be helpful...
Not One God.

Hope that helps.
__________________
“Burn the Boats!!!” — Hernan Cortes
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Barb Fellowship Hall 14 04-01-2013 11:38 AM
I have a question about the UPC Amanah Fellowship Hall 59 10-11-2011 08:59 AM
Serious question KWSS1976 Fellowship Hall 27 05-22-2009 10:10 AM
Question- OneAccord Fellowship Hall 36 02-15-2008 11:45 PM
Question about DVD's Cindy Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte 25 02-11-2008 09:44 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Praxeas
- by Salome
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.