Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-31-2023, 11:39 AM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Unvaxxed Pureblood


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 26,121
Re: Bott 2023

Why is modern Pentecostal preaching so focused on mental self help and coping with being miserable?

I mean, does anybody teach the Bible anymore? Does anyone have a message for the Church, giving direction? Or is God only concerned with telling His people "There, there, it'll be alright" like the church is either a baby that needs burping or a psych patient that is being doped up with meds?
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-31-2023, 05:45 PM
seguidordejesus's Avatar
seguidordejesus seguidordejesus is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Central Texas
Posts: 2,796
Re: Bott 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Why is modern Pentecostal preaching so focused on mental self help and coping with being miserable?

I mean, does anybody teach the Bible anymore? Does anyone have a message for the Church, giving direction? Or is God only concerned with telling His people "There, there, it'll be alright" like the church is either a baby that needs burping or a psych patient that is being doped up with meds?
I really don't get it either. Society in general focuses too much on the self and not enough on serving others and having a greater purpose (just about any greater purpose would be better than sitting around moping).
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-01-2023, 07:14 AM
Nicodemus1968's Avatar
Nicodemus1968 Nicodemus1968 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Unites States
Posts: 2,448
Re: Bott 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterrey View Post
I heard, maybe some can correct me if it's wrong, that Sis M got up and endorsed anti depression meds. Then Bro Morgan got up and preached against them?

Did that happen? Just heard that was all.
Bro. Morgan preached a great message, he gave a powerful testimony. I encourage anyone to look it up and listen, “The forgotten Message of Calvary”.
__________________
Jesus, Teach us How to war in the Spirit realm, rather than war in the carnal, physical realm. Teach us to be spiritually minded, rather than to be mindful of the carnal.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-01-2023, 07:24 AM
Nicodemus1968's Avatar
Nicodemus1968 Nicodemus1968 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Unites States
Posts: 2,448
Re: Bott 2023

Some of these big conferences have to deal with these issues because it is so prevalent in the churches. Depression, Anxiety, Fear, etc…is running rampant in many churches. And I think a bing part of the problem is as a church trying to be modern, in a modern time, using modern ways has damaged the faith and spiritual understanding of so many! We as the church can live in a modern age and use the technology it brings, yet we always rely on the Spirit for our direction and spiritual insight into whatever comes our way.

There was a church that had a saying, “Bringing a First Century Church to a 21st Century World”.

In some areas it’s no longer like that. Don’t believe me, listen to messages from 20-30 years ago, and compare notes to todays messages. The anointing has been tainted with big words, fancy tablets, etc…
__________________
Jesus, Teach us How to war in the Spirit realm, rather than war in the carnal, physical realm. Teach us to be spiritually minded, rather than to be mindful of the carnal.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-01-2023, 02:47 PM
diakonos's Avatar
diakonos diakonos is offline
New User


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northwest Zion
Posts: 3,124
Re: Bott 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
Some of these big conferences have to deal with these issues because it is so prevalent in the churches. Depression, Anxiety, Fear, etc…is running rampant in many churches. And I think a bing part of the problem is as a church trying to be modern, in a modern time, using modern ways has damaged the faith and spiritual understanding of so many! We as the church can live in a modern age and use the technology it brings, yet we always rely on the Spirit for our direction and spiritual insight into whatever comes our way.

There was a church that had a saying, “Bringing a First Century Church to a 21st Century World”.

In some areas it’s no longer like that. Don’t believe me, listen to messages from 20-30 years ago, and compare notes to todays messages. The anointing has been tainted with big words, fancy tablets, etc…
I wish churches would stop with the stupid colored lights. And the romantic songs to Jesus.
__________________
“Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos.”
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-04-2023, 06:06 AM
Sister Alvear's Avatar
Sister Alvear Sister Alvear is offline
Sister Alvear


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brazil, SA
Posts: 26,996
Re: Bott 2023

Since we go to a lot of churches I just try to worship where ever....some places seem easier to worship than others however I am just an "ole country" girl...(old lady). ha...
__________________
Monies to help us may be sent to P.O. Box 797, Jonesville, La 71343.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-07-2023, 05:03 PM
n david n david is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17,803
Re: Bott 2023

I've seen several photos and posts of Mickey Mangun and Tennie McCarty, who is a licensed therapist (not Apostolic). McCarty has been to POA to speak with the ministry there as well.

Could someone who was there and heard the context please tell me what this means? I could interpret this in a couple of different ways. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. But the meme lacks needed context.

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-07-2023, 06:32 PM
diakonos's Avatar
diakonos diakonos is offline
New User


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northwest Zion
Posts: 3,124
Re: Bott 2023

Uhh… actually, they do stop you.
__________________
“Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos.”
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-07-2023, 07:49 PM
Costeon Costeon is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 773
Re: Bott 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I've seen several photos and posts of Mickey Mangun and Tennie McCarty, who is a licensed therapist (not Apostolic). McCarty has been to POA to speak with the ministry there as well.

Could someone who was there and heard the context please tell me what this means? I could interpret this in a couple of different ways. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. But the meme lacks needed context.

I was there. Your past can't stop you.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-07-2023, 07:50 PM
Costeon Costeon is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 773
Re: Bott 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Uhh… actually, they do stop you.
I was there. Your past can't stop you. God can help you overcome your past.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bott 2020 Barb Fellowship Hall 514 03-02-2020 02:26 PM
Bott '14 n david Fellowship Hall 500 06-16-2018 05:51 PM
Nothing about BOTT on here??? Sherri Fellowship Hall 57 01-30-2012 09:56 AM
*****this just in from bott***** deacon blues Fellowship Hall 22 01-21-2009 04:21 PM
No More BOTT... Monkeyman Fellowship Hall 99 01-11-2008 09:53 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.