Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Spam.
I love SPAM...we eat it several ways!
__________________
With God all things are possible!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Praxeas's Avatar
Praxeas Praxeas is offline
Go Dodgers!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45,693
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Honey is indefinite?
__________________
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:


  1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 PM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Honey is indefinite?
Yes it is. Honey has been found in various pharaohs tombs in Egypt -and it is still edible.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

http://www.happypreppers.com/home.html

This web site has a ton of great information for preppers, she gives links and info on tons of products and things to think about. I realized this AM I had not thought about doing my laundry!!! OH my, that will be very important. Again water being the issue, you want to use as little as possible if your having to ration your water. Being able to stay clean is so important for many reasons!
__________________
With God all things are possible!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Funny you would mention laundry. We were at Costco this past Friday and saw a small hand powered laundry machine which was only about 30 bucks or so. I've thought about this myself so will probably go back and get it. You can't wash much at a time with this thing but it only takes a gallon or so of water per load with a thimble full of HE detergent.

Ya, I know Rush has a spoof ad out about a hand cranked washing machine that you fill with 50 lbs of gravel and a quart of water -and after 45 minutes of turning your cloths coming out smelling, exactly like they did when you put them in! LOL

Last edited by RandyWayne; 08-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 AM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 7,949
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Funny you would mention laundry. We were at Costco this past Friday and saw a small hand powered laundry machine which was only about 30 bucks or so. I've thought about this myself so will probably go back and get it. You can't wash much at a time with this thing but it only takes a gallon or so of water per load with a thimble full of HE detergent.

Ya, I know Rush has a spoof ad out about a hand cranked washing machine that you fill with 50 lbs of gravel and a quart of water -and after 45 minutes of turning your cloths coming out spelling, exactly like they did when you put them in! LOL
Wow, clothes that spell... how ingenious is that!!!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 7,949
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Sorry RW, just couldn't help it... but I know we all do it.... type one thing, and really mean to say something else
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 AM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Sorry RW, just couldn't help it... but I know we all do it.... type one thing, and really mean to say something else
Oops, let me see if it is not too LOT!

There, DUN!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Funny you would mention laundry. We were at Costco this past Friday and saw a small hand powered laundry machine which was only about 30 bucks or so. I've thought about this myself so will probably go back and get it. You can't wash much at a time with this thing but it only takes a gallon or so of water per load with a thimble full of HE detergent.

Ya, I know Rush has a spoof ad out about a hand cranked washing machine that you fill with 50 lbs of gravel and a quart of water -and after 45 minutes of turning your cloths coming out smelling, exactly like they did when you put them in! LOL
Well glad to hear that, I will have to check at Costco the next time I am there...staying clean is going to be very important!

The more I prep the more I realize how vital water is! We were able to get a IBC from our son awhile back. My hubby is going to connect it to the gutters on his shop, it has a metal roof and won't have as much junk running off. We got the gutter clear stuff from Costco and installed in his gutters to be first debris filter, he then got a couple (also from our son) down spout filters to further remove particles, then we will build a fine filter to remove all the little stuff. The last step will be pour though the Berkey if we are needing to drink it, if not it will be clean for laundry, hair washing, what ever the need other than drinking...
__________________
With God all things are possible!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
Well glad to hear that, I will have to check at Costco the next time I am there...staying clean is going to be very important!

The more I prep the more I realize how vital water is! We were able to get a IBC from our son awhile back. My hubby is going to connect it to the gutters on his shop, it has a metal roof and won't have as much junk running off. We got the gutter clear stuff from Costco and installed in his gutters to be first debris filter, he then got a couple (also from our son) down spout filters to further remove particles, then we will build a fine filter to remove all the little stuff. The last step will be pour though the Berkey if we are needing to drink it, if not it will be clean for laundry, hair washing, what ever the need other than drinking...
Living in the desert, water is my #1 concern. It is easy enough to store water for an extended period if all your doing is drinking it, but when you factor any sort of hygiene, washing cloths regardless of how efficient you do it, and even enough to water a small garden, suddenly the amount you needs increases 10-100 fold.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why? Food for thought Sheila Deep Waters 1 06-19-2012 02:23 PM
Whats the longest you have fasted? Apocrypha Fellowship Hall 22 05-27-2010 09:36 PM
HMH Books off the shelf at PPH? Justin Fellowship Hall 5 11-07-2009 08:01 PM
Longest Married Hubby in the World Laid to Rest: A Great UPC story SDG The D.A.'s Office 22 10-13-2007 11:52 AM
Food Allergies Kutless Chef's Corner 3 05-01-2007 03:14 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by coksiw

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.