Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I wonder though about the health benefits of the food you are consuming. What do you know about that?

Because it is freeze dried, it tastes like eating fresh, it is fresh. So it is healthy eating...the entrees of course are just that so you would want to read your labels and they would all vary. The process is like freezing, but different in that it takes the moisture from the food, and when you add water and reconstitute it is like eating fresh food.

The entrees are like ...Mac and cheese for example...you add boiling hot water let it set for 10 min or so and eat! Have a salad and a veggie and you have a meal...there are a few we have found are fun to combine. Like chicken with rice and then add some of the chicken stew...yummy!

The fresh fruit you can take from the can and pop it in your mouth or again reconstitute it....its better than dehydrated food, tastes a lot better.
__________________
With God all things are possible!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 7,949
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

I've heard that freeze-dried foods contain way more nutritious value than canned. However, water is always an issue. You need lots of water for the freeze-dried foods. If you cannot store or have access to lots of water, canning is better. If you believe you have a great water source, then freeze dried is a great option.

But, freeze dried foods do cost a lot more than canned.

Here is an article describing the pros and cons. The author believes in storing both canned and freeze-dried.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...-freeze-dried/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

We have several buckets of freeze dried stuff already and most of it is not that bad. In fact, some is pretty good and I would imagine great if you were really hungry. Although I have a LOT of salt stored up that is one thing you do not need to add to any of these packets as they all tend to be extremely salty. I also have 8 (or 9) bottle of cheap vodka in the same closet. MANY uses.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I've heard that freeze-dried foods contain way more nutritious value than canned. However, water is always an issue. You need lots of water for the freeze-dried foods. If you cannot store or have access to lots of water, canning is better. If you believe you have a great water source, then freeze dried is a great option.

But, freeze dried foods do cost a lot more than canned.

Here is an article describing the pros and cons. The author believes in storing both canned and freeze-dried.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...-freeze-dried/
We do have both, but canned food does have a limited shelf life. Yes water can be the problem, but we have a well, and we have stored some water and we do have a creek near by and a river not that far away...we can also catch rain water, to be sure we have clean water we bought a Berkey water filter, they come in various sizes depending on your family size and all. We can use rain water, catch water as it drains off the roof...run it through our Berkey and its completely safe to drink!
__________________
With God all things are possible!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
We have several buckets of freeze dried stuff already and most of it is not that bad. In fact, some is pretty good and I would imagine great if you were really hungry. Although I have a LOT of salt stored up that is one thing you do not need to add to any of these packets as they all tend to be extremely salty. I also have 8 (or 9) bottle of cheap vodka in the same closet. MANY uses.
Check out Costco online they have a lot of emergency stuff and on some of it is free shipping...

That stuff is good for bartering, and many uses as you say, we have several bottles of various kinds we inherited
__________________
With God all things are possible!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
That stuff is good for bartering, and many uses as you say, we have several bottles of various kinds we inherited
The only use the cheap stuff doesn't have for me personally, is drinking. I get the good, or at least better, stuff for that.

If cigarettes had a better shelf life I would even buy several cartons. I've never smoked in my life (other than a few fine cigars) but can see a huge advantage when it comes to bartering.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
The only use the cheap stuff doesn't have for me personally, is drinking. I get the good, or at least better, stuff for that.

If cigarettes had a better shelf life I would even buy several cartons. I've never smoked in my life (other than a few fine cigars) but can see a huge advantage when it comes to bartering.


Cigarettes, I have thought about that, and I figure if a smoker is desperate they won't care how old there are...All we have is the good stuff, we really did inherit it...from my mom! So we are well stocked with an assortment of flavors and we have wine....
__________________
With God all things are possible!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
MarcBee MarcBee is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 801
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
I don't think I will be eating them....oh mercy! That is just gross, but I am glad its just a prank! I can't imagine. Funny though
Goldfish are gross to our neat culture, but I recall eating some cheap canned sardines in the 80s, and they were gross per evidence, not just culture. Toward the bottom of the can-bed, I took a volunteer sardine apart, and it appeared to have most guts still inside. The heads were missing, so I had assumed them "clean." Anyhow, the good book says "Salt covereth a multitude of sins," or something like that.
__________________
_______________________________________

Deeply JN Apostolic: 1978-1999.
Happily agnostic/atheist 2011 to present.

Good news! The gospel boils down to, "Love me
or I will destroy you." --A god.


Last edited by The Mrs; 04-04-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Roagiesgal's Avatar
Roagiesgal Roagiesgal is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 124
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBee View Post

Goldfish are gross to our neat culture, but I recall eating some cheap canned sardines in the 80s, and they were gross per evidence, not just culture. Toward the bottom of the can-bed, I took a volunteer sardine apart, and it appeared to have most guts still inside. The heads were missing, so I had assumed them "clean." Anyhow, the good book says "Salt covereth a multitude of sins," or something like that.
I don't plan on eating goldfish, but sardines I might if I was hungry! I ate them when I was a kid and liked them, maybe the word here is "Cheap"...LOL! I don't know...
__________________
With God all things are possible!

Last edited by The Mrs; 04-04-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Rudy Rudy is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,774
Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Spam.
__________________


http://www.paganchristianity.org


Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why? Food for thought Sheila Deep Waters 1 06-19-2012 02:23 PM
Whats the longest you have fasted? Apocrypha Fellowship Hall 22 05-27-2010 09:36 PM
HMH Books off the shelf at PPH? Justin Fellowship Hall 5 11-07-2009 08:01 PM
Longest Married Hubby in the World Laid to Rest: A Great UPC story SDG The D.A.'s Office 22 10-13-2007 11:52 AM
Food Allergies Kutless Chef's Corner 3 05-01-2007 03:14 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.