Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Marilyn Gazowsky

I'm a little surprised that there's been no mention of the passing of Sis. Gazowsky. Her influence on many in the Apostolic realm is incalculable.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Marilyn Gazowsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeGuide View Post
I'm a little surprised that there's been no mention of the passing of Sis. Gazowsky. Her influence on many in the Apostolic realm is incalculable.
Didn't know of her passing but this is what I found on line.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2391420&type=3

REST IN PEACE - Sister Marilyn Gazowsky PASTOR, AUTHOR PREACHER
By Teologo Felipe Agredano · Updated about 3 months ago · Taken at Voice Of Pentecost Academy

Rev. Sister Marilyn Gazowsky founded her church the Voice of Pentecost in San Francisco in the late 1960's during the "Jesus Movement" at the same time as Anton LaVey started the Satanic Church in San Francisco and when Jim Jones started the People's Church also in San Francisco. Sister Marilyn Gazowsky's church still stands today, and it is pastored by her son Richard Gazowsky, a United Pentecostal Church International, UPCI.

I was honored to have personally met Pastor Marilyn Gazowsky in 1992 during the inaugural celebration of the new sanctuary of Union City Apostolic Church. All the prominent Oneness Apostolic Bay Area pastors where invited as guest speakers for this joyous occasion. Most pastors where male, except for Sister Gazowsky. All male pastors were invited to seat up on the platform, except for Gazowsky. She was the only female pastor, so she sat with the rest of us lay people off the platform.

I knew exactly who she was; my friend Louie had identified her for me. She was the female pastor of the largest congregation in the Bay Area and unquestionably the most prominent Apostolic church in San Francisco Bay Area region. Quickly my intrigue turned into confusion. I wondered, why had she had been invited yet not given her proper role as the religious leader of the most distinguished Oneness church. She was relegated to sit with the rest of us common folk, yet she was not visibly upset, she respected the decision and patiently sat with the lay folk.

One by one, all dignitaries were invited to speak and offer congratulatory words to the pastor and congregation present. Finally, Rev. Marilyn Gazowsky was invited up to address the congregation. She walked up the stairs to the platform. She positioned herself behind the pulpit, firmly grabbing the pulpit with both hands and leaned forward into the microphone with all the authority and command of a preacher and spoke. I was amazed and mesmerized with her ease on the podium. As a young student at UC Berkeley--familiar with feminism and equality yet unaccustomed with female preachers--I was stunned with her command of the sacred space and of her role as a preacher, speaker and religious leader.

I must confess, at first I was hesitant to having a women speak, up on the pulpit. I was not used to seeing women preachers, this was rare for me. Growing up in a Latino male-dominated Pentecostal church, women were not allowed to speak period. Banned from the pulpit, they were banned from all ministries. Years later, I learned women had indeed been a vital and central role in the church in the early years. Machismo crept back into the church somehow; perhaps the old remnants of Catholicism.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for posting. I just pulled a book off of my shelf titled, "Anatomy of The Soul" by Sis. Gazowsky. It's an easy read, but full of gold. What an inspirational testimony of evangelism. I would love to read her story.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 AM
Go Dodgers!

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...light=gazowski

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Administrator

I think for most of us who don't live in Claifornia what little we knew about her was because of her son's er....ah.....interesting ministry.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Her ministry will always be linked to her son's.
Which in my opinion is not a good thing.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Thankfully, it is God's estimation that counts in the end.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I think for most of us who don't live in Claifornia what little we knew about her was because of her son's er....ah.....interesting ministry.

CCI - I find that interesting. If I remember correctly, you were raised UPC. She was well known for her music ability and talents and directed choirs several times at General Conferences. I was raised in a small UPC church in the south and even I had heard of her before I ever traveled to California.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Thankfully, it is God's estimation that counts in the end.
True, although I must admit this made me chuckle, seeing it posted on AFF where all of us have opinions!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
True, although I must admit this made me chuckle, seeing it posted on AFF where all of us have opinions!
It was different church then typical oneness even back in 1981, my only visit there, but then again SF is a different place. I attended across the bay on the east side. Most UPC churches back then where pretty conservative in that area.