Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
anger, police, prejudice, race, white

Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Re: When Prejudice Embarrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Apparently Gates still things this was racial profiling

Gates told the Boston Globe in an e-mail late Friday that he spoke to Obama and said he would meet with Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley. Gates said he hoped his arrest by Crowley leads to greater sensitivity on racial profiling and that it was time to "move on."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...est=latestnews
If I was the cop I wouldn't go.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Go Dodgers!

Gates, 58, maintains he turned over identification when asked to do so by the police. He said Crowley arrested him after the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090724/...esting_officer

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Location: just north of the celtics red sox and patriots go baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
If I was the cop I wouldn't go.
if i were the cops in cambridge, i would hope like the devil that they were to get another report, of someone entering this same "do you know who i am " professors home, at which point i would walk in and say i suppose you live here right? good, sorry to bother you, if you need any help with traffic control? as you move your things out, please let us know. well be happy to assist you. then maybe he will get down off his high horse if he were to come home to an empty house . that is if any of his neighbors even bother to call the police next time.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

What ever happened to the dream of judging and being judged by the content of one's character?
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Obama is becoming less and less presidential as time marches on.........This incident of digging his nose into a municipal police departments affairs makes him a laughing stock...........You're the most powerful man in the world, so what's on your plate today??? The Cambridge Mass. police dep't... He really does want to control at every level doesn't he????? OK...He wants to sound very presidential so he says...."I don't have the facts but..... let me proceed to stir the racial pot"......and I truly believe that is one of his desires......to be a divider
Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAR View Post
I just re-read it and that's exactly how the police report reads. Gates was yelling and screaming and saying the officer was a racist and wanted his name for the fourth time. The officer told him if he wanted his name and info he could step outside since it was so loud in the house.

He wasn't ordered out of the house, he chose to follow him outside into the public view and be disorderly.
Mike, I didn't say he was necessarily ordered out. Now, Jax was saying that the officer ordered him out for his own safety so that he could be sure that the house was secure from the real perpetrators. That is not in keeping with the events as I read them.

As I understand it, the officer who he was having the conversation with left the house and told him he should follow him out if he wished to continue it.

I'm saying that in this case where officers clearly knew they were wrong, he should not have been arrested for being irate. It is not simply about race to me.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
Mike, I didn't say he was necessarily ordered out. Now, Jax was saying that the officer ordered him out for his own safety so that he could be sure that the house was secure from the real perpetrators. That is not in keeping with the events as I read them.

As I understand it, the officer who he was having the conversation with left the house and told him he should follow him out if he wished to continue it.

I'm saying that in this case where officers clearly knew they were wrong, he should not have been arrested for being irate. It is not simply about race to me.
Yeah I can understand your point. I understand him being frustrated and being upset about having an officer in his house.

I think where he crossed the line was leaving the privacy of his house and going out into public and continuing to call the officer racist and generally be loud and disorderly. He should have realized that the officer was actually responding for the protection of his property and thanked him, IMO.

Hopefully they can get together, talk about it and work this out sometime soon.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Location: just north of the celtics red sox and patriots go baby!

also from the officers perspective, this man could have had a family member being held hostage at gunpoint in another room. and been told you go out there present your id and get rid of them, or we will shoot your family member. its been done folks. thats why they wanted to do a search.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Hawvud is not new to scandel. Summers was run off for being honest.
He said men and women were not the same in science and matth according to their own schools research. He wanted more women profs in the field. His quote about the ladies got the elitist, feminist leftist outraged. But a blackness prof is glorified.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...ueMQI&refer=us

Summers began[18] by outlining three possible explanations for the higher proportion of men in high-end science and engineering positions. Two of the hypotheses were: (1) that women with children are unwilling or unable to work 80 hours per week in tenure track jobs and (2) that women are subject to both discrimination and different socialization. He argued that discrimination was economically unlikely because it would put institutions at a disadvantage compared to institutions that did not discriminate. And he dismissed socialization, claiming that research shows that socialization is rarely a factor in anything anyone thinks it is. [18]

His third and most controversial hypothesis was what he called "the different availability of aptitude at the high end". He said that his "best guess" was that "there are issues of intrinsic aptitude, and particularly of the variability of aptitude". He said that this variation, combined with other factors, "probably explains a fair amount of this problem."[18]

Summers claimed that he was adopting an "entirely positive, rather than normative approach" and that his remarks were intended to be an "attempt at provocation."[18] Nancy Hopkins, a professor of biology at MIT, walked out during the talk in disgust.[19] Summers' lunch-time talk drew accusations of sexism and careless scholarship, and an intense negative response followed, both nationally and at Harvard.[19]

Summers also got in trouble for

Quote:
Summers criticized African American Studies department head Cornel West for missing three weeks of classes to work on the Bill Bradley presidential campaign, and complained that West was contributing to grade inflation
I am shocked. Professors told to stay on task.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

BHO acted stupidly in condemning the Cambridge police without the facts. He's too arrogant to apologize - he didn't even admit he was wrong for his baseless denouncement. He blamed the media for questioning his comments and keeping the issue alive. Now he wants to invite them up for a beer? What an idiot. Maybe next time he can just keep his comments to himself.

Unfortunately there were too many like JD who saw race in the headline, but didn't read the story until later. As my father loved to say ... shame on you.