Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
anger, police, prejudice, race, white

Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
La vie est un voyage

Re: When Prejudice Embarrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
SOUNWORTHY,

Do you really mean this the way it reads?

I don't think you do, but it would be nice if you answered. This is my 2nd time asking.

Maybe you haven't been online to respond.
I didn't stutter!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
La vie est un voyage

I like this guy, he sees it like it really is.

A post-racial president?

Thomas Sowell - Syndicated Columnist - 7/28/2009 9:25:00 AM

Many people hoped that the election of a black President of the United States would mark our entering a "post-racial" era, when we could finally put some ugly aspects of our history behind us.

That is quite understandable. But it takes two to tango. Those of us who want to see racism on its way out need to realize that others benefit greatly from crying racism. They benefit politically, financially, and socially.

Barack Obama has been allied with such people for decades. He found it expedient to appeal to a wider electorate as a post-racial candidate, just as he has found it expedient to say a lot of other popular things -- about campaign finance, about transparency in government, about not rushing legislation through Congress without having it first posted on the Internet long enough to be studied -- all of which turned to be the direct opposite of what he actually did after getting elected.

Those who were shocked at President Obama's cheap shot at the Cambridge police for being "stupid" in arresting Henry Louis Gates must have been among those who let their wishes prevail over the obvious implications of Obama's 20 years of association with the Reverend Jeremiah Wright. Anyone who can believe that Obama did not understand what the racist rants of Jeremiah Wright meant can believe anything.

With race -- as with campaign finance, transparency and the rest -- Barack Obama knows what the public wants to hear and that is what he has said. But his policies as president have been the opposite of his rhetoric, with race as with other issues.

As a state senator in Illinois, Obama pushed the "racial profiling" issue, so it is hardly surprising that he jumped to the conclusion that a policeman was racial profiling when in fact the cop was investigating a report received from a neighbor that someone seemed to be breaking into the house that Professor Gates was renting in Cambridge.

For those who are interested in facts -- and these obviously do not include President Obama -- there has been a serious study of racial profiling in a book titled Are Cops Racist? by Heather MacDonald. Her analysis of the data shows how this issue has long been distorted beyond recognition by politics.

The racial profiling issue is a great vote-getter. And if it polarizes the society, that is a price that politicians are willing to pay in order to get votes. Academics who run black studies departments, as Professor Henry Louis Gates does, likewise have a vested interest in racial paranoia.

For "community organizers" as well, racial resentments are a stock in trade. President Obama's background as a community organizer has received far too little attention, though it should have been a high-alert warning that this was no post-racial figure.

What does a community organizer do? What he does not do is organize a community. What he organizes are the resentments and paranoia within a community, directing those feelings against other communities, from whom either benefits or revenge are to be gotten, using whatever rhetoric or tactics will accomplish that purpose.

To think that someone who has spent years promoting grievance and polarization was going to bring us all together as president is a triumph of wishful thinking over reality.

Not only Barack Obama's past, but his present, tells the same story. His appointment of an attorney general who called America "a nation of cowards" for not dialoguing about race was a foretaste of what to expect from Eric Holder.

The way Attorney General Holder has refused to prosecute young black thugs who gathered at a voting site with menacing clubs, in blatant violation of federal laws against intimidating voters, speaks louder than any words from him or his president.

President Obama's first nominee to the Supreme Court is, like Obama himself, someone with a background of years of affiliation with an organization dedicated to promoting racial resentments and a sense of racial entitlement.

An 18th century philosopher said, "When I speak I put on a mask. When I act I am forced to take it off." Barack Obama's mask slipped for a moment last week but he quickly recovered, with the help of the media. But we should never forget what we saw.

Last edited by SOUNWORTHY; 07-31-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 PM
La vie est un voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Wouldn't be a little natural for her to be bias? I wonder if she would have reacted the same if the officers were all black?
And the professor was white. I didn't stutter on this one either.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Statement from Sgt Crowleys fellow officer who was at the scene of the scholars arrest:

Quote:
...Meanwhile, a black Cambridge police sergeant on the scene the day of Gates' arrest wrote a letter to Crowley, asking him to mention to Gates and Obama that he is now known as the "black sergeant" and to some others as an "uncle Tom."

"I'm forced to ponder the notion that as a result of speaking the truth and coming to the defense of a friend and colleague, who just happens to be white, that I have somehow betrayed my heritage," Sgt. Leon Lashley wrote. "Please convey my concerns to the president that Mr. Gates' actions may have caused grave and potentially irreparable harm to the struggle for racial harmony in this country and perhaps throughout the world.

Lashley wrote in the letter he would like Gates to reflect on the incident and ask himself what responsibility he bears, what he can do to heal the rift and what he can do to mitigate the damage done to the officers' reputations.
This is what I stated previously. Gates has cause damage to race relations by crying racism in a case when there was none.

It's disappointing that this oft-noted "renowned" scholar seems too arrogant to admit the officer was not acting in a racist manner, nor was the arrest motivated by race. Of course, BHO is also too arrogant to admit that he was wrong for jumping in and criticising the officers without knowing what actually happened.

Gates may be a scholar, but he was a dunce and a fool for doing what he did.

Just as steriod use put an asterisk on Barry Bonds' career ... people should note the large asterisk on Gates work because of his obvious racial bias.