Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Pastoral Authority....where did it come from?

Been reading apostolic forums for a long time. Guess a professional lurker. ONe of the things that intrigues me is the doctrine I guess you could call it of pastoral authority. I see this acrsoss all the different apostolic forums I read. My question is where does the bible give the pastor authority over the lives of the people he pastors? I am amazed at the differing degrees that pastors think they can control their parishioners. Where does this come from?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Re: Pastoral Authority....where did it come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
Been reading apostolic forums for a long time. Guess a professional lurker. ONe of the things that intrigues me is the doctrine I guess you could call it of pastoral authority. I see this acrsoss all the different apostolic forums I read. My question is where does the bible give the pastor authority over the lives of the people he pastors? I am amazed at the differing degrees that pastors think they can control their parishioners. Where does this come from?
Honestly, how can a pastor control anyone? The pastor should set the example and preach Jesus and if the folks submit themselves to the Holy Spirit everything should be ok.

The problems start when Pastors don't trust God and have to help him out with their carnal knowledge.

Oh yeah, welcome to AFF!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

it comes from the idea that in order for people to be saved they have to submit to the tyranny of a dictator, same as politics , absolute authority always corrupts absolutely, dt
Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Welcome to AFF!

It amazes me that people would be willing to hand over the various aspects of their lives to a pastor or priest.

If they are telling you where/what to eat, where to shop, and what to do with your money (beyond being a contributor) and you buy into that - then you are party to the abuse.

I am to guard my own life and the lives of my family - if they are submitted to abuse it without my loud and clear protest it is my fault.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Pastors DO have quite a bit of authority as leaders of their particular congregation. It is in the same same vein as the president of the local chapter of "fill in the name" has over their group as well. God recognizes government and grants the pastor authority just as he does the members of your town council or president of the local knitting club.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM
but made himself of no reputation

Quote:
My assessment (subject to all the limitations that comprise me), is that it came from a misunderstanding of how to apply a former thing and a new thing; a type/shadow vs. a revealed substance.

Moses' seat, operating within the congregation of Israel and a tabernacle that was a building....foreshadowed messiah, the lamb, our 'Adoni', being the head of a new, perfect tabernacle that is a body.

The current plethora [fun word!] of character types involving 'Pastoral authority' manifestations, seem to be the result of a set of unlimited possibilities when a human attempts reconstrution of a former {destroyed] tabernacle as a building and select himself to sit in Moses' seat.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath [James 1:19]
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

anybody ever hear of Christian Liberty, the right to do what is right, because it is right, dt
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

A pastor is supposed to be a "shepherd" but too many of them interpret this to be "dictator"
Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

There are absolutely some bad ones out there, but let's not let them ruin a Godly principle. Pastors are an essental part of the five-fold ministry. I do concur with some though that things can and are taken overboard.

God Bless the Anointed Ministry!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
but made himself of no reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividedThigh View Post
anybody ever hear of Christian Liberty, the right to do what is right, because it is right, dt
but dt, the same source of understanding (scriptures) that provide us the witness of liberty that grace has provided, also is:
1.Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
2.Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
3.Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4.All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

I'm pretty sure you get the picture.

We, as bondservants of our loving Lord, do not operate as much from liberty, but more in service to the one who has redeemed us from the snare of our own transgressions.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath [James 1:19]