Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

A Growing Trend of Fed UP!!!!

It seems the more I talk with young ministers ages 25-36 across our fair land the more they seem to be Fed Up with the UPC and it's District Political Process's. I was talking with a young man this week who I haven't talked to in years and he is going independant. The UPC is offering him nothing but it's politics and problems.

It seems to be spreading... and growing...

The Old School of the UPC seems to be choking the life out of young ministers and sacrificing them on the altars of politics and gain.

Is this happening anywhere else in this age bracket?

I for one will probaly go independant very soon....
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Cotton Mather

I'm not surprised.

Hold the door please.

The reason? They are told to never question the wisdom of the elders. This wisdom is elevated above Holy writ. Critical thinkers cannot abide such a fallacy.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Brother, I am sure that you are seeking God in your decision. Ultimately follow the direction that HE gives you to take. Seek Him earnestly and sincerely.

I believe that there are those who leave the UPC for the wrong reasons. I also believe that there are those who God calls out for specific purposes. Unfortunately, there are many who do not agree with the latter.

In the event that He calls you out of the UPC, follow Him VERY closely ... b/c believe me, you'll need Him as never before to protect you from the reproach that comes with a step of faith like that.

God bless you, and may He give you wisdom, direction, revelation and an ear to listen to what His Spirit is saying to you!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
It seems the more I talk with young ministers ages 25-36 across our fair land the more they seem to be Fed Up with the UPC and it's District Political Process's. I was talking with a young man this week who I haven't talked to in years and he is going independant. The UPC is offering him nothing but it's politics and problems.

It seems to be spreading... and growing...

The Old School of the UPC seems to be choking the life out of young ministers and sacrificing them on the altars of politics and gain.

Is this happening anywhere else in this age bracket?

I for one will probaly go independant very soon....
I saw way too much of this in my time in the UPC. The elders used to get away with saying things like "Touch not God's anointed" etc in order to avoid the growing discontent. But the internet has given voice to all these growing concerns and younger people are realizing their concerns are not invalid.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I saw way too much of this in my time in the UPC. The elders used to get away with saying things like "Touch not God's anointed" etc in order to avoid the growing discontent. But the internet has given voice to all these growing concerns and younger people are realizing their concerns are not invalid.

We were told that we would lose the protective covering of the Body of Christ if we left. It's almost been 2 years now, and Jesus has proved to provide protection, daily bread, companionship, covering, all things that a good Shepherd would do. Imagine that!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Cotton Mather

I have personally wrestled with the same decision Randy has come to. I feel Jesus leading me in another direction. The trouble is that there is no viable alternative organizationally, and fellowship will be sparse.

What I do know is that things cannot continue as they are. I have never seen such discontent.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

There is discontent on many levels, and not all of it among just the young ministers.

It exists because of a plethora of factors, not just because our elders are all crushing the life out of every young ministry.

There are also a lot of young men who are happy where they are.

If you are discontented, you will tend to talk mainly with those who share your view, so it might be difficult to access this on a broad scale based solely on your own fellowship.

I am no great apologist for the organization, so please don't take it that way. I have my own issues with the UPC and her politics.

I just don't think this is some sweeping epidemic, really.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

Furthermore, I have been independent and I have been UPC.

If you are a pastor or have an established ministry as an evangelist, your world is unlikely to change much if you go independent.

However, for an aspiring young minister, there are some doors that will close for you if you decide to chuck your card before you have really established yourself.

I do not defend that as right or proper; it just happens to be reality.

One of the main reasons I got back in was so the opportunities for the young preachers in our assembly would be expanded.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Mather View Post
I have personally wrestled with the same decision Randy has come to. I feel Jesus leading me in another direction. The trouble is that there is no viable alternative organizationally, and fellowship will be sparse.

What I do know is that things cannot continue as they are. I have never seen such discontent.
There are more people out there just like you than you realize. I spoke with someone a few weeks ago and stated that "I just don't fit in anywhere." (as far as religious circles go) He just smiled and said, "you'd be shocked at the number of people I hear say that -- everywhere I go."

I do not judge or criticize folks who are still in the UPC. I love them and respect where they are in their Christian walk, and I believe they are right where God wants them. It's just sad to say that we have not received the same amount of respect from them for following the direction that I know God gave us to take.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Honorary Admin

Having been out of the UPC for over 10yrs and still having many contacts within it, I have to agree with RR. I really don't think it is small pockets of discontent, but it may not be a "sweeping" sentiment either.

My feeling is that a number of "younger" and otherwise ministers tire of the control, either real or perceived and also what they are receiving FROM the UPC vs what they are giving TO the UPC. I think the org has become WAY to top heavy. More and more is required to the keep the org going and it seems that less and less is actually benefiting the local church.

In my view, the UPC has evolved into a "serve me" organization instead of "how can we serve" organization.

My opinion is that the higher one is promoted in leadership, the more they need to serve and the less they need served.

This whole draconian paradigm of not questioning the "elders" is going to be a death knell for the org if it continues.