Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

If your church board told you, "Leave the UPCI" - Or leave this Church????

You go to bed and know you are in the will of God. God has called you to this church. The people are great, the church is growing.

Your family is doing great and enjoying the community.

You show up at Church Sunday morning and then one of the Board members (If no Board then the members) calls you into a meeting.

Bro. Pastor.... We have voted that we need to break away from the organization as for association.

And your affiliation.

We have voted (Or members agree) we need you to turn in your UPCI credentials or you will need to leave the assembly.

You went to bed knowing you were in the will of God....

Is the organization bigger than where God wants you to be??

What would you do?????????
Old 03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

First off I would not pastor a church with a board.

Next our church isn't affiliated anyway. I wouldn't mind being ind., matter fact the way the UPC is going I might had rather be ind. They are getting way to worldly for me.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 PM
philjones

I would be gone in a heart beat if it was a board controlled church! No Church should ever "Tell" the man of God anything of this nature!

You don't think the pastor should be able to tell the church folks how to live their lives in certain areas... surely you don't think a church board should be able to do this to a pastor?!??!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Hearted View Post
First off I would not pastor a church with a board.

Next our church isn't affiliated anyway. I wouldn't mind being ind., matter fact the way the UPC is going I might had rather be ind. They are getting way to worldly for me.
Understood. What if you were the leadership. But the members stated. Leave the UPCI or we all leave? What would u do? See how I reworded the Thread post..
Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjones View Post
I would be gone in a heart beat if it was a board controlled church! No Church should ever "Tell" the man of God anything of this nature!

You don't think the pastor should be able to tell the church folks how to live their lives in certain areas... surely you don't think a church board should be able to do this to a pastor?!??!
Understood. Understood. What if you were the leadership. But the members stated. Leave the UPCI or we all leave? What would u do?

The UPCI church I went to in Milwaukee for 27 years had a board.. See how I reworded the therea post...

Church of 1400...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
philjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckstadt View Post
Understood. Understood. What if you were the leadership. But the members stated. Leave the UPCI or we all leave? What would u do?

The UPCI church I went to in Milwaukee for 27 years had a board..

Church of 1400...
I would pray about the matter and listen to God regardless what the people said! Regarding the people more than God will get you worse than unemployed or pastoring a small church!

Also, there is a big difference in a church with a board and a board run church.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Understood. What if you were the leadership. But the members stated. Leave the UPCI or we all leave? What would u do? See how I reworded the Thread post..
Considering the way the UPC is now I would just not pay my budget fee and go out. There are a lot of good ind. cons to fellowship.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
The UPCI church I went to in Milwaukee for 27 years had a board.. See how I reworded the therea post...

Church of 1400...
Is/was the church you went to in Milwaukee called Elim Tabernacle?
I was baptized in Jesus' name in Elim Tabernacle in Milwaukee on Oct 27, 1955. The building they were in later became the basement of a larger building. Bro. F. Ellis (no physical relation) was pastor. Bro. L.R. Mitchell did the baptism. At that time he was pastor of Bethel Tabernacle in Racine. He left soon after that to start a home missions church in Minot ND.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 03-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
You go to bed and know you are in the will of God. God has called you to this church. The people are great, the church is growing.

You show up at Church Sunday morning and then one of the Board members (If no Board then the members) calls you into a meeting.

Bro. Pastor.... We have voted that we need to break away from the organization as for association.

And your affiliation.

We have voted (Or members agree) we need you to turn in your UPCI credentials or you will need to leave the assembly.

Firstly, I would try my best to listen to the Lord. Secondly, if I loved the church and the people and it was reciprocated, I'd leave the org in a heartbeat! Don't need an org to pastor, love and serve people.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Quote:

And your affiliation.

if you have a board-run church, you'd probably want to leave that church anyhow (UPC or not)

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes