Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Go Dodgers!

Why People Lie

The person, however, who seems to feel compelled to lie about both the small and large stuff has a problem. We often call these folks pathological liars (which is a description, not a diagnosis). They lie to protect themselves, look good, gain financially or socially and avoid punishment.

Quite often the person who has been deceived knows that this type of liar has to a certain extent deluded him or herself and is therefore to be somewhat pitied.A much more troubling group is those who lie a lot — and knowingly — for personal gain.

These people may have a diagnosis called antisocial personality disorder, also known as being a sociopath, and often get into scrapes with the law. Lying often gets worse with the passage of time. When you get away with a lie it often impels you to continue your deceptions. Also, liars often find themselves perpetrating more untruths to cover themselves.

Why do we dislike liars, especially sociopaths, so much? It’s a matter of trust.

Serious deception often makes it impossible for us to trust another person again. Because the issue of trust is on the line, coming clean about the lie as soon as possible is the best way to mend fences.

If the truth only comes out once it is forced, repair of trust is far less likely.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4072816/

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Jellybean!

Re: Why People Lie

Interesting....
Old 06-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Go Dodgers!

"It's tied in with self-esteem," says University of Massachusetts psychologist Robert Feldman. "We find that as soon as people feel that their self-esteem is threatened, they immediately begin to lie at higher levels."

But bald-faced lies (whether they involve leaving out the truth or putting in something false), are harmful, as they corrode trust and intimacy—the glue of society.

People are so engaged in managing how others perceive them that they are often unable to separate truth from fiction in their own minds, Feldman's research shows.

Men lie no more than women, but they tend to lie to make themselves look better, while women are more likely to lie to make the other person feel better.

Extroverts tend to lie more than introverts, Feldman found in similar research involving a job-interview situation.

http://www.livescience.com/health/060515_why_lie.html

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Go Dodgers!

Lying is always a form of control. Some people are pathological liars, having learned that they get a rush from manipulating others with lies. But most people lie when they are afraid of the consequences of telling the truth.

http://peopleoffaith.com/why-do-people-lie.htm

Old 06-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Go Dodgers!

Id be interested in Rhoni's comments

Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mrs View Post
Interesting....
I started thinking about this because of some accusations against a preacher. If true, why?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Forever Loved Admin

I know someone who is a pathological liar.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 06-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Christmas 2009

I have known people who will lie even when they know that YOU KNOW that they're lying. I just don't understand it.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
I know someone who is a pathological liar.
Do you think they were aware they were like this? The articles seem to suggest that at some point they loose touch with reality and don't realize they are lying anymore because they lie to themselves

Spiritually speaking I find this to be a very dangerous position to be in

Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I have known people who will lie even when they know that YOU KNOW that they're lying. I just don't understand it.
I have known folks that lied so much that even when they were telling the truth they acted like they were lying. I wonder if this is why lying is so warned against in the bible? Eventually in order to keep doing this the liar has to deceive themselves and that leads to being deluded