Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-13-2021, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

The biography of A.C. Valdez, Sr. came in the post today. He was at Azusa Street and at the Arroyo Seco campmeeting of 1913.

He mentions Harry Van Loon a few times, calling him a friend. But he gives scant data about him. But he does not mention others I am writing about.

He does describe the Arroyo Seco campmeeting, but mentions nothing about the Oneness Revelation that took place there.

I will reread the book to make sure I did not miss anything.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

While sifting through the data looking for Mattie Crawford, I found this letter penned by Elder Thomas C. Davis.

7/24/1915 (Indianapolis Star, p. 8) In Defense of the Truth. To the Editor of The Star: I was rather amused to read an article In Wednesday's paper written by Marlon L. Lantz, 1918 Holloway street, In which he made many hearsay accusations against the Oak Hill Tabernacle, 2024 Roosevelt avenue. Truly we can say we believe these days are the beginnings of sorrow, for Jesus said, "We would be persecuted from city to city and be betrayed both by parents, brethren, kinsfolk and friends (neighbors), and even be hated of all men for his name's sake." (Luke 21:10-17.) Also that, "If the world hates you, ye know that It hated me before It hated you; If you were of the world, the world would love his own; but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." (John 15:13-10.)

When the prodigal sons come home we rejoice, while sometimes the elder son comes near from the field, hears the music and dancing, gets angry and will not come In; but tho rejoicing continues Just the same. David danced with all his might before the Lord, and In these last days God is pouring out Ills spirit upon us In great tidal waves from the floodgates of heaven, and the strange acts which take place, with dancing In the spirit, speaking in other tongues as the spirit gives utterance, as well as many other operations and gifts of the Holy Spirit, are only confirming the last message of the soon coming of the King. They only take place with the peculiar people whom Jesus has chosen for Himself, therefore I praise the Lord for healing me of a chronic disease of about twelve years' standing; my daughter was healed also after losing the sight of both eyes, when oven the eyelids were paralyzed and could not be opened, and now also sees perfectly; my wife also was healed after being sick for five years, when physicians could do no more all through prayer and faith In Jesus the Great Physician.

Why should we not rejoice with a loud voice? If the people who pray to a god that never hears or answers, their prayers would pray to Elijah's God once and get an answer they would stop finding fault with us who know that Elijah's God still lives.

We can truthfully say that we have seen hundreds healed, saved and filled with the Holy Spirit as on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4), at the tabernacle, which seems to be so lightly spoken against; many from the different denominations in the city have come and seen for themselves and declared that of a truth God is with us. While we have no man-made doctrines, neither church membership here on earth, our names are recorded in the lamb's book of life up in heaven, and who are firmly built upon the foundations of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone (Eph. 2:20). And we believe that signs Jesus said shall follow those that believe will follow according to Mark 10:17-20. And we are earnestly contending for the faith once for all delivered unto the saints (Jude 3), slnce there Is only one body (the church), one spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and father of all (Ep. 4:4-0). ELDER T. C. DAVIS. Indianapolis.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

While sifting through the data looking for Mattie Crawford, I found this letter penned by Elder Thomas C. Davis.

7/24/1915 (Indianapolis Star, p. 8) In Defense of the Truth. To the Editor of The Star: I was rather amused to read an article In Wednesday's paper written by Marlon L. Lantz, 1918 Holloway street, In which he made many hearsay accusations against the Oak Hill Tabernacle, 2024 Roosevelt avenue. Truly we can say we believe these days are the beginnings of sorrow, for Jesus said, "We would be persecuted from city to city and be betrayed both by parents, brethren, kinsfolk and friends (neighbors), and even be hated of all men for his name's sake." (Luke 21:10-17.) Also that, "If the world hates you, ye know that It hated me before It hated you; If you were of the world, the world would love his own; but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." (John 15:13-10.)

When the prodigal sons come home we rejoice, while sometimes the elder son comes near from the field, hears the music and dancing, gets angry and will not come In; but tho rejoicing continues Just the same. David danced with all his might before the Lord, and In these last days God is pouring out Ills spirit upon us In great tidal waves from the floodgates of heaven, and the strange acts which take place, with dancing In the spirit, speaking in other tongues as the spirit gives utterance, as well as many other operations and gifts of the Holy Spirit, are only confirming the last message of the soon coming of the King. They only take place with the peculiar people whom Jesus has chosen for Himself, therefore I praise the Lord for healing me of a chronic disease of about twelve years' standing; my daughter was healed also after losing the sight of both eyes, when oven the eyelids were paralyzed and could not be opened, and now also sees perfectly; my wife also was healed after being sick for five years, when physicians could do no more all through prayer and faith In Jesus the Great Physician.

Why should we not rejoice with a loud voice? If the people who pray to a god that never hears or answers, their prayers would pray to Elijah's God once and get an answer they would stop finding fault with us who know that Elijah's God still lives.

We can truthfully say that we have seen hundreds healed, saved and filled with the Holy Spirit as on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4), at the tabernacle, which seems to be so lightly spoken against; many from the different denominations in the city have come and seen for themselves and declared that of a truth God is with us. While we have no man-made doctrines, neither church membership here on earth, our names are recorded in the lamb's book of life up in heaven, and who are firmly built upon the foundations of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone (Eph. 2:20). And we believe that signs Jesus said shall follow those that believe will follow according to Mark 10:17-20. And we are earnestly contending for the faith once for all delivered unto the saints (Jude 3), slnce there Is only one body (the church), one spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and father of all (Ep. 4:4-0). ELDER T. C. DAVIS. Indianapolis.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

9/5/1919 (Seattle Star, p. 9) By Frederick M. Kerry, N. E. A. staff correspondent NEW YORK. Sept. “ Woman brought sin into the world. didn't she ? Then surely she should have the right to help undo the wrong and lead the world to the Eden above." That is the answer of Mrs Almee Semple McPerson, the pretty 28 year-old Los Angeles woman preacher, who speaking nightly to enormous audiences of New Yorkers in her evangelistic campaign, Mrs. McPherson is an ordained minister of the Apostolic church. I asked her to tell why she thinks a woman should have the right to preach the gospel "Woman's personality, her tender sympathies, her simple direct message, the woman -mother heart, brooding over the world yearning to help its wayward sons and daughters, —these are all qualities in favor of her right to tell the story of God’s love, she replied.

"Deborah led forth armies with gleaming banners. . The first salvation sermon was preached by the woman at the well. It was a woman whom Christ commanded to preach the first Easter sermon. "Women were colaborers with Peter and Paul in their work " "But did not the apostle say, 'Let your women keep silent in the churches ?” "Yes. but he did not refer to a Godly woman’s right to preach the gospel, for he also gives specific instructions as to how a woman should conduct herself when preaching or praying in public. Before I consecrated my life to this service of love for God and humanity, I was an elocutionist. No one questioned my right to amuse the church congregation with witticisms and comical recitations. That was 'speaking In ths church.' wasn't it ? 'The best reason in favor of a woman's right to preach the gospel, is that God's favor has attended It, and blessed results follow. Called into work at 17. I have been in active service practically ever since. I have seen thousands come to the altar, laden with iniquity, then rising to their feet changed men and women." Mrs. Mcpherson was born in Ingersoll. near London. Ont. In Canada. Contrary to her usual custom. Mrs McPherson did not cross the continent In her "gospel car." She is accompanied by her mother. Mrs Minnie Kennedy. She has left her young son. Rolf, 9 years old, and her daughter, Roberta, at her Los Angeles home.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
9/5/1919 (Seattle Star, p. 9) By Frederick M. Kerry, N. E. A. staff correspondent NEW YORK. Sept. “ Woman brought sin into the world. didn't she ? Then surely she should have the right to help undo the wrong and lead the world to the Eden above." That is the answer of Mrs Almee Semple McPerson, the pretty 28 year-old Los Angeles woman preacher, who speaking nightly to enormous audiences of New Yorkers in her evangelistic campaign, Mrs. McPherson is an ordained minister of the Apostolic church. I asked her to tell why she thinks a woman should have the right to preach the gospel "Woman's personality, her tender sympathies, her simple direct message, the woman -mother heart, brooding over the world yearning to help its wayward sons and daughters, —these are all qualities in favor of her right to tell the story of God’s love, she replied.

"Deborah led forth armies with gleaming banners. . The first salvation sermon was preached by the woman at the well. It was a woman whom Christ commanded to preach the first Easter sermon. "Women were colaborers with Peter and Paul in their work " "But did not the apostle say, 'Let your women keep silent in the churches ?” "Yes. but he did not refer to a Godly woman’s right to preach the gospel, for he also gives specific instructions as to how a woman should conduct herself when preaching or praying in public. Before I consecrated my life to this service of love for God and humanity, I was an elocutionist. No one questioned my right to amuse the church congregation with witticisms and comical recitations. That was 'speaking In ths church.' wasn't it ? 'The best reason in favor of a woman's right to preach the gospel, is that God's favor has attended It, and blessed results follow. Called into work at 17. I have been in active service practically ever since. I have seen thousands come to the altar, laden with iniquity, then rising to their feet changed men and women." Mrs. Mcpherson was born in Ingersoll. near London. Ont. In Canada. Contrary to her usual custom. Mrs McPherson did not cross the continent In her "gospel car." She is accompanied by her mother. Mrs Minnie Kennedy. She has left her young son. Rolf, 9 years old, and her daughter, Roberta, at her Los Angeles home.
What does adultress McPherson have to do with Harry Morse? Did she sleep we him as well?
Old 11-29-2021, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

McPherson, like Andrew Urshan was divorced and remarried. I am unaware of any reason to call her an adulteress.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:56 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
McPherson, like Andrew Urshan was divorced and remarried. I am unaware of any reason to call her an adulteress.
Yes, I guess adultress was a bit hard.

How about lying reprobate?

I don't believe Andrew David Bar Urshan ever faked himself being kidnapped?

She faked a kidnapping to cover up that she was messing around with her employee, Kenneth Ormiston.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Yes, that chapter in her life was not her best.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:01 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Yes, that chapter in her life was not her best.
So, let us review. You posted a deflection, which was to use Brother Andrew Urshan as a conformation point to give a pass to the adultress. Yet, it didn't work. Because she was not only an adultress, but she was an adultress who lied to cover up her adulatory. Let's just say she was a 1920s female Jussie Smollet. Creating a lie about a crime that had be perpetrated upon her to gain an advantage with the public. Ok, now that we cleared that up, why did you post an article about her in "Who is Harry Morse?" Did he fellowship her?
Old 11-30-2021, 02:18 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
“ Woman brought sin into the world. didn't she ? Then surely she should have the right to help undo the wrong and lead the world to the Eden above."
This is supposedly a quote from Mrs. McPherson. She actually went out of her way to contradict the Apostle Paul. "And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." Simply put Paul was saying since woman brought sin into the world. She wouldn't be God's first choice to preach over a congregation to married adult men. Especially since Mrs. McPherson couldn't control her sexual urges when she was around men.

Quote:
I asked her to tell why she thinks a woman should have the right to preach the gospel "Woman's personality, her tender sympathies, her simple direct message, the woman -mother heart, brooding over the world yearning to help its wayward sons and daughters, —these are all qualities in favor of her right to tell the story of God’s love, she replied.
So, we don't need leadership but we need a mommy? Sorry, but this didn't fly in the first century A.D. If it did, we would of read about Jesus at the very least choosing a female Apostle.

Quote:
"Deborah led forth armies with gleaming banners.
If Deborah was so notable to the New Testament Church, then she would of made it into this verse of scripture. "What shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets." Also Deborah isn't a model for New Testament ministry. It is shabby hermeneutics to use the story of Barak and Deborah as a good reason to have women preaching and teaching adult males.

Quote:
The first salvation sermon was preached by the woman at the well.
If she is talking about the Samaritan woman, then Mrs. McPherson done bumped her head. Let's see how the Samaritan Women's ministry was received? "Many more believed because of HIS (Jesus') own word; And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world." Out of the mouth of two or three witnesses let everything be established. Here we have not only no Deuterocanonical witness, but just one woman. The witness of a woman was not to be believed.

By the method of gezerah shavah (see Interpretation ), it is derived from Scripture that only men can be competent witnesses. Maimonides gives as the reason for the disqualification of women the fact that the bible uses the masculine form when speaking of witnesses (Sif. Deut. 190; Shev. 30a; Sh. Ar., ḤM 35:14; Yad, Edut 9:2), but Joseph Caro questioned the validity of this derivation in view of the fact that “the whole Torah always uses the masculine form” (Kesef Mishneh to Yad, Edut 9:2). Another reason was suggested in the Talmud: that the place of a woman was in her home and not in court (Shev. 30a; cf. Git. 46a), as the honor of the king’s daughter was within the house (Ps. 45:14. It is perhaps noteworthy that the Tur (ḤM 35) omits women from the list of incompetent witnesses). Women are admitted as competent witnesses in matters within their particular knowledge, for example, on customs or events in places frequented only by women (Rema ḤM 35:14; Darkhei Moshe ḤM 35, n. 3; Beit Yosef, ibid., n. 15; Terumat ha-Deshen Resp. no. 353); in matters of their own and other women’s purity (Ket. 72a; Ket 2:6); for purposes of identification, especially of other women (Yev. 39b); or in matters outside the realm of strict law (BK 114b). In post-talmudic times, the evidence of women was often admitted where there were no other witnesses available (cf. e.g., Resp. Maharam of Rothenburg, ed. Prague, no. 920; Resp. Maharik no. 179), or in matters not considered important enough to bother male witnesses (Resp. Maharik no. 190; Sefer Kol Bo no. 116). In Israel, the disqualification of women as witnesses was abolished by the Equality of Women’s Rights Act, 5711 – 1951. https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/witness If you go to the virtual library also look at witnesses who are "wicked." which the Samaritan Woman falls under because she was an adultress.

The Samaritan woman was testifying, not preaching, not an Apostle, not a pastor, not a Biblical teacher. She testified, her neighbors heard her testimony. They didn't believe her on her own merit, because she hadn't any. They went for themselves and had Jesus PREACH AND TEACH them. Sorry, but the Samaritan Woman isn't an evangelist, a pastor, an apostle, a teacher, or a prophet in the New Testament sense.

Quote:
It was a woman whom Christ commanded to preach the first Easter sermon.
Again, a resounding no. she wasn't told to preach, teach, or baptize. She was told to GO GET HIS MEN!!! PERIOD.

Quote:
"Women were colaborers with Peter and Paul in their work"
They weren't fellow preachers, teachers, pastors, apostles, evangelists, or prophets. They would help just as the women who helped Jesus in the past Luke 8:2-3. They weren't preachers, pastors, clergymen of any kind. they helped through finance, or carrying documents as in Phoebe's case. On another note, with all the Hebraizing of the name of Jesus by some Christians. It is funny how in the New Testament Church people like Phoebe, Apollos, and Aquila had Roman names of pagan deities. No trying to rearrange their names to fit a Hebrew only narrative.

Quote:
"But did not the apostle say, 'Let your women keep silent in the churches ?” "Yes. but he did not refer to a Godly woman’s right to preach the gospel, for he also gives specific instructions as to how a woman should conduct herself when preaching or praying in public.
What we have here is a word salad, one that doesn't even come close to any semblance to New Testament truth on the subject. Conveniently not to usurp authority over a man is nowhere to be found? Also looks like she jumbled her thoughts on head coverings and admonishment to women not to usurp her husband's authority Hate to break this to you all, but church wasn't 5 hours a week with a Friday prayer meeting. These individuals met everyday. Therefore the admonition to women not to teach men weren't just for Sunday night service before going to Cracker Barrell.

Quote:
Before I consecrated my life to this service of love for God and humanity, I was an elocutionist. No one questioned my right to amuse the church congregation with witticisms and comical recitations.
She was a comedian? Public speaker, and allow the applauses to get to her head. Sad. People come up and say "good sermon, oh I really loved your preaching" If you like that sound, you may end up just entertaining the troops. Instead of bringing forward, thus saith the Lord.

Quote:
That was 'speaking In ths church.' wasn't it ? 'The best reason in favor of a woman's right to preach the gospel, is that God's favor has attended It, and blessed results follow.
blessed results?? Fame and fortune, packed out house of warm bodies throwing roses at your feet. Mrs. Mcpherson was just another soul hustler, blind guide, and an Ecclesiastical Pimp.