Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Pitfalls in Solely Relying on Acts for doctrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
If I am reading this correctly, only twelve PEOPLE received the Holy Spirit in the AG org in 2007.

Go to page 2.

http://www.ag.org/top/About/Statisti...rt_Summary.pdf

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The emphasis on only going to the Book of Acts and avoiding the Gospels and/or Epistles is based on teaching which is illustrated by this chart which is similar to what Bro. S.G. Norris used at the Apostolic Bible Institute

http://home.att.net/~jrd/gospelsactsepistles.gif
Very interesting chart.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
Are you really serious with this question?
Yes. Perhaps I am misunderstanding iceniez? I thought he was saying they all spoke in known languages...

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstokes View Post
TR France

In Synan's study, did he talk about the rate of people receiving the Holy Ghost? Has it increased, stayed the same, or decreased say for example in this last decade?
Dr. Daniel Segraves was in the particular class where Synan addressed the question.

He was talking about Pentecostals and the initial evidence doctrine and how many in differing Pentecostal groups claim to receive it.

He mentioned all the various groups then had Dr. Daniel Segraves stand up and said to him before the entire class of PhD Scholars, the decline in the experience and teaching is not so with you Oneness Pentecostals and quoted a # to Dr. Segraves, Dr. Segraves said that the number somewhere above 90% was accurate.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4him View Post
Dr. Daniel Segraves was in the particular class where Synan addressed the question.

He was talking about Pentecostals and the initial evidence doctrine and how many in differing Pentecostal groups claim to receive it.

He mentioned all the various groups then had Dr. Daniel Segraves stand up and said to him before the entire class of PhD Scholars, the decline in the experience and teaching is not so with you Oneness Pentecostals and quoted a # to Dr. Segraves, Dr. Segraves said that the number somewhere above 90% was accurate.
You get what you preach.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Let's just say that:

1) there are experiences in the Spirit subsequent to conversion/regeneration. These experiences can be called:
being filled with the Spirit, Acts 2:4; 9:17; Ephesians 5:18
the Promise of the Father, Luke 24:39; Acts 1:4; 2:33, 39
being baptized in the Spirit, Acts 1:5; 11:16
the Spirit coming upon, Acts 1:8; 19:6
the Spirit falling upon, Acts 8:16; 10:44; 11:15
receiving the Spirit, Acts 8:15, 17, 19; 19:2
the Spirit being poured out, Acts 2:33
the Spirit being given as a gift, Acts 2:38; 8:18; 10:47; 11:17

2) these experiences occur:
while praying or praising or worshiping the Lord, Luke 24:53; Acts 1:14
by the laying on of hands, Acts 8:17; 9:17; 19:6
just suddenly happening, Acts 2:2; 10:44; 11:15

3) As a result of these experiences in the Spirit certain things are observed:
speaking with tongues, Acts 2:4; 10:46; 19:6
prophesying, Acts 2:17, 18; 19:6
psalms, hymns, praise, singing, Acts 2:11; Ephesians 5:19-20
I agree with this nice summary, but it seems the common one is tongue speaking, but I won't put God in a box if he chooses some other form of ejaculation (term coined by David Pawson where referring to the phenomenon by which the Spirit expresses itself in a notable way)

Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4him View Post
I agree with this nice summary, but it seems the common one is tongue speaking, but I won't put God in a box if he chooses some other form of ejaculation (term coined by David Pawson where referring to the phenomenon by which the Spirit expresses itself in a notable way)
David Pawson needs to un-coin that term.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
And here we go....

The primary def of that word is: an abrupt, exclamatory utterance.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Jesus is the Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
ROFL
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92
Old 12-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Jesus is the Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Dan is back with his same ole anti-Pentecostal junk. He never stops.
How is this The Church was born is Acts thus the history of the Original Church?
Dan

Do you write stuff like you wrote to get a response like Bro. Epley's or are you sincerly trying to compart knowledge?
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92