Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Some people could make a statue weep

Why Acts 2:38 Uses The Word “remission”

From the Garden of Eden to the “Even so, Come Lord Jesus” of Revelation’s last words, the Blood of sacrifice is the constant Testimony of God’s divine plan. As fallen man was clothed with skins of animals sacrificed by God Himself for such provision (Gen 3:21), so the blood of the Lamb was shed to clothe in the righteousness of God every member of mankind who would be obedient to the gospel (Acts 2:38). This is the song of those who make this covenant with God "by sacrifice." Thus God will gather to Himself "those who have made a covenant with Me by sacrifice" (Ps 50:5), and forever they shall sing the song of the redeemed: "To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own Blood . . . " (Rev 1:5) the covenant life is a steadfastly committed one.

1. God the Covenant Maker

"Covenant" First appears in the Bible with Noah.
Noah sacrifices to God, and we see the term "Covenant" appears as God covenants never to destroy creation by flood again.

The Events After the Flood, 8:20-9:29

(Gen 8:20 KJV) And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

2. Isaac, the Result of Covenant

God’s covenant gave Abraham a son, and covenant love provided a substitutionary sacrifice.

(Gen 22:13 KJV) And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

The ram offered as a substitute for Isaac illustrates the substitutionary sacrifice of the Lamb of God (John 1:29).

3. Circumcision’s Significance

Circumcision speaks of cutting away of fleshly dependence and placing hope for future prosperity in God.

(Gen 17:10 KJV) This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

4. The First Blood Sacrifice Covenant

God originates the covenant bond; sacrifice is offered in a prescribed manner, and God performs administration of the oath.

(Gen 15:10 KJV) And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

Divided them. i.e., cut them in two. The idea is this: May the same be done to the one who breaks this covenant (see Jer. 34:18-19).

5. No Blood, No Atonement

Life is in the blood. Apart from shedding of blood (giving of life), there was no atonement.

(Lev 17:11 KJV) For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Two reasons are given for the command not to eat blood: the life of the body is derived from it, and it is the means by which atonement for sins is made (see also Gen. 9:4).

6. Developing the Importance of Blood Sacrifice

Sacrifice was a means of deliverance, sin offering, and consecrating act.

(Exo 12:13 KJV) And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

7. The Blood, Essential for Right Standing Before God

Right standing before a Covenant-making God is shown to be a matter of life and death, not merely a matter of one’s good efforts.

(Gen 4:1 KJV) And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

(Gen 4:2 KJV) And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

Abel means "breath" or "vanity," reflecting perhaps Eve’s understanding of the import of the curse (Rom. 8:20).

(Gen 4:3 KJV) And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

(Gen 4:4 KJV) And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
Heb. 11:4. fat was the richest part of the animal.

(Gen 4:5 KJV) But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

(Gen 4:6 KJV) And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?

(Gen 4:7 KJV) If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

(Gen 4:8 KJV) And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

(Gen 4:9 KJV) And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?

Cain’s response was an outright lie and showed indifference to the murder he had committed.

(Gen 4:10 KJV) And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground.

Gen 4:10 thy brother’s blood crieth unto me. i.e., for vengeance.

8. The Issue of Blood is Right Relationship.

God’s holiness required blood for cleansing, but right relationship is the ultimate goal of His Covenant.

(Isa 1:11 KJV) To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

(Heb 9:12 KJV) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Our Lord’s sacrifice was His own blood (not that of animals), offered once (not repeatedly), and resulted in eternal redemption (not temporal covering). by . . . by. Better, through . . . through.

9. The salvation process: Repent, Baptism, Holy Ghost--The New Birth Experience!

There is blood in Acts 2:38! It is the only NT remedy for sin.

10. The Blood, The Covering

Blood is the only God ordained covering for sin.

(Gen 3:21 KJV) Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

The coats of skins were God’s provision for restoring Adam’s and Eve’s fellowship with Himself and imply slaying of an animal in order to provide them. Blood must be given in order for life to be retained. The sinless blood for the sinner.

11. God Inaugurates the New Covenant.

A new and eternal bond was established by the blood of Jesus

(Mat 26:28 KJV) For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The new testament, or new covenant, is God’s new arrangement with men based on the death of Jesus Christ.

_
Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Some people could make a statue weep

--

12. Right Relationship with God Through Blood.

The Blood of Jesus Christ is forever the only means of right relationship with the holy God.

(Rom 3:25 KJV) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

The "place of propitiation"; i.e., the Mercy Seat (as in Heb. 9:5). Jesus Christ is pictured as the Mercy Seat where God’s holy demands were satisfied (Lev. 16:14).

(Acts 2:38) The only New Testament scripture that clearly defines “remission” of sins. Obedience fully to Acts 2:38 provides the only plan of salvation to the individual. Sin cannot be remitted by nothing less than the Blood of Jesus Christ and that Blood is applied ONLY in full obedience to Acts 2:38.

Acts 2:38 is a God-ordained covenant!

13. Gentiles Embraced by Blood Sacrifice.

Gentiles are now grafted into the patriarchs and covenants of promise and are included as heirs of all of God’s promises.

(Eph 2:13 KJV) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Nigh = near (to God).

14. Bought Back By The Blood.

The Blood of Christ is the price for our purchase, or redemption.

(1 Pet 1:18 KJV) Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

”From your vain conversation.” Meaning, from your foolish way of life.

(1 Pet 1:19 KJV) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Without blemish and without spot. Refers to the sinlessness of Jesus Christ (see Lev. 22:19-25).

15. Partaking In The Blood (of those who are obedient to Acts 2:38).

Partaking in the covenant blood of Jesus Christ means being joined to God and receiving the benefits of His life.

(John 6:53 KJV) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Just as one eats and drinks in order to have physical life, so it is necessary to appropriate Christ in order to have eternal life.

(John 6:54 KJV) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. How is this “drinking” made possible? “Come unto me. . .I will give you drink.” “Except you. . .drink my blood.” Acts 2:38 is the only process of scripture that details how to obtain the blood. REMISSION is made possible ONLY by the blood of Jesus Christ, therefore Acts 2:38 is the divine solution to the application of the blood. Just as the Israelites had to APPLY the blood to the door in obedience to God so must the individual obey God’s command today to apply the blood of the Lamb!

16. Jesus Christ’s Blood Satisfies Holiness, Thereby Making Peace.

Jesus Christ gave divine life in blood to satisfy mankind’s sin debts and restore covenant peace.

(Col 1:20 KJV) And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

To reconcile all things unto himself. Jesus Christ is the remedy for alienation from God, and eventually all things will be changed and brought into a unity in Him, even though this will involve judgment (1 Cor. 15:24-28).

17. The Blood, Reconciliation, and Victorious Living.

The Blood of Christ deals with the issue of man’s separation from God, and faith in His blood infuses divine life for triumph over sin.

(Rom 5:9 KJV) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Much more. Notice the repetition of this emphasis in verses 10, 15, 17, 20. Paul is teaching the vicarious, sacrificial significance of Christ’s death.

18. The Weapon of the Blood.

Since we see the mighty power of the blood to redeem us then we easily understand its power to overcome all the works of the enemy!

The Blood of Christ provides every believer with the necessary provision to defeat Satan.

(Rev 12:11 KJV) And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

19. Jesus Christ has redeemed us unto Himself with His own blood. Jesus Christ is the Old Testament Covenanter and our Covenanter of the New Testament—by the “precious blood of Jesus Christ!”

Jesus Christ is God Almighty that clothed Himself in flesh and became our salvation! Behold the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world!

20. The vital importance of Acts 2:38 can never be sufficiently impressed enough on us because only in full obedience can one obtain BLOOD salvation!

“There is a fountain filled with blood,
Drawn from Emmanuel’s veins
And sinners plunged beneath that flood,
Lose all their guilty stains.”
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Psalms 132:1

Thank God for the Blood that washes over me!

Very Good.

DOCTOR Old Paths for all your spiritual needs.

STILL believing the same after all these years
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
9. The salvation process: Repent, Baptism, Holy Ghost--The New Birth Experience!

There is blood in Acts 2:38! It is the only NT remedy for sin.
Sacramentalist ... to say the least ....blood in Acts 2:38??? ... really.

Jesus Christ is the remedy for sin.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Holy Unto The Lord

Dan, if we call on His name in baptism, then the blood is applied. Only someone blinded to the scriptures would believe otherwise.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Psalms 132:1

So let the fussing begin.

DOCTOR Old Paths for all your spiritual needs.

STILL believing the same after all these years
Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Price View Post
Dan, if we call on His name in baptism, then the blood is applied. Only someone blinded to the scriptures would believe otherwise.
I love this leap in theological gymnastics ..... please show me where ... by calling on his name in baptism applies the blood ... BP ... that's straight up EXTRABIBLICAL .... IF NOT HERETICAL.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Price View Post
Furthermore ... Acteon disagrees with your theory ... of the blood being applied on the invocation of the name in baptism ...

Examine ... He states 'FULL OBEDIENCE' ... which one would have to conclude is ALL 3 STEPS ... ACTIVATES ... THE WASHING OF SIN ... "REMISSION" as mischaracterized by most 3-steppers ...

He says:

Quote:
The vital importance of Acts 2:38 can never be sufficiently impressed enough on us because only in full obedience can one obtain BLOOD salvation!
Quote:
(John 6:54 KJV) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. How is this “drinking” made possible? “Come unto me. . .I will give you drink.” “Except you. . .drink my blood.” Acts 2:38 is the only process of scripture that details how to obtain the blood. REMISSION is made possible ONLY by the blood of Jesus Christ, therefore Acts 2:38 is the divine solution to the application of the blood. Just as the Israelites had to APPLY the blood to the door in obedience to God so must the individual obey God’s command today to apply the blood of the Lamb!
Now ... Acteon ... would you care to explain your adulteration of scripture in combining the Lord's Supper w/ Acts 2:38 ... If one is to read these verses in John at face value they speak of the symbolism of partaking in the Lord's Supper ... and you have somehow woven them to a strange form of transubstantiation that takes place in obeying Acts 2:38 ... craziness.

Quote:
15. Partaking In The Blood (of those who are obedient to Acts 2:38).

Partaking in the covenant blood of Jesus Christ means being joined to God and receiving the benefits of His life.

(John 6:53 KJV) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Just as one eats and drinks in order to have physical life, so it is necessary to appropriate Christ in order to have eternal life.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Acteon writes: (Acts 2:38) The only New Testament scripture that clearly defines “remission” of sins.
R U SERIOUS ????... THE ONLY SCRIPTURE THAT CLEARLY DEFINES REMISSION OF SINS??? .... DO YOU PREACH THIS HERESY?????
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

I'm glad we can obey Acts.10:43 and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin.